When to approach potential employers???

Guest Tom the Pom

Guest Tom the Pom

At what part of your Visa application would you start to approach potential employers???

I'm looking at a good 2 years (being reallistic) till I'll be setting foot in Oz for good.

Do you think I'd be wasting my time doing it now?

Guest Tom the Pom

I'm a sparky, I'm considering contacting some Melbourne firms to see how they felt about taking on an unlicenced Pom.

I'd also be asking about how to get my licence quickly when I get there.

I think few companies would hold a job for 2 years, My hubby's own experience was he applied for jobs a soon after our application went in (it was a speedier process in 2006). He applied via seek.com.au and one company said they were looking to fill the vacancy immediatley but liked his CV and would keep it on file ... yeah right we thought heard that before. A few months later, he was contacted to see how the visa process was getting along (we'd been granted it then) and had he got fixed up as another vacancy had arisen. He had a telephone interview, arranged to meet when we arrived and started work within 2 weeks. They kept the job open for about 4 months. My job in nursing was offerred to me and left open for 12 months. I don't think there's any harm in putting out feelers, and people may keep hold of your CV

Guest Tom the Pom

I'm going to get a 'standard' letter together and send it out via e-mail to as many firms in the Melbourne area as I can.

If I get any positive responses I'll forward them on to the State Sponsors so they can see I'm wanted and employable when I get there.

Hi,

I work with the disability employment industry, depending on your job ( e.g taking your not a nurse/ doc' etc) to be honest they won't touch you until your in the country. I would advise you when you have a address to move to before you come, ask them if you can put the address down on your applications because they will throw it out the window otherwise wait until your out here and have a phone. Best advice is to ring employer direct, don't just wait until your applications in look in the localnewspaper and ask people in your trade face to face, the aussie love a go getter!

Archived