Son need seperate visa?

shirleyt

That depends on if he is dependent and that you can prove it.

If he is still living at home, in full time education, not in employment or claiming benefits nor in a defacto relationship then I've read it's possible. If not then not likely as then he is not dependent.

Hi, can anyone tell me if my 18 year old son would still be classed as a dependant or would he require his own visa?

Hi shirley,

That depends if he is dependant on you like is he working or in education is he living at home or else where you need to provide more information about your son Tania

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Shirleyt

Education is defined by the Aussie Government as "full time education." Is your son in full time education, please?

You say that he also works part time. Please confirm:

1. How many hours a week does he work for?

2. What does he work at or as?

3. How much does he earn each week roughly?

Many thanks

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Full time student just working weekends at McDonalds, earning min wage.

Hi Shirley

I'd say that your son is almost certainly still dependent on you at the moment. (In practical terms, I am sure you agree!)

However, I see that you have only joined PiO today and in the Welcome section, you have said:

Hi, My OH and I are thinking of emegrating (thanks to a cold winter and wanted down under). We have four children aged 1, 3, 6 and 18. OH is builder, looking into Queensland state sponsership 176? any advise if Brisbane is good area for teenagers. We have about £600,000 and would like to be near the beach.Any suggestions??

A very warm welcome to Poms in Oz, by the way!

If a skilled subclass 176 visa turns out to be the best option for your family, you could easily be waiting till at least 2012 (and possibly longer) before a subclass 176 visa would be granted.

I'm not a migration agent but I should think that most of them would warn you that although you could add your son to your visa application at this stage (and in my view you should add him from the outset) whether or not a child remains dependent on Mum & Dad is not determined until the time of decision. The time of decision is just before your Case Officer finalises your visa application - which could easily be delayed for 3 years and perhaps more.

A child whose 25th birthday has passed is not dependent on Mum and Dad any more, regardless of what that child might be doing by/on his 25th birthday.

You have not said whether or not your son is an undergraduate at a unversity or what he might be studying towards. If he is at a university and he were my son, I'd tell him to think of a Masters or a PhD once he has completed his first degree. That would ensure that he would remain dependent on you for a good, long time.

Does this answer this part of your question? If not, please sing out.

The remainder of your larger question becomes more complicated every few months because the present Aussie Minister for Immigration keeps changing his mind about what he wants. His latest foray into not having a clue happened very recently, on 8th February 2010. His changes before that were dated 17th December 2008, 16th March 2009 and 23rd September 2009. More changes are likely from him on 1st July 2010, which will be the first day of the 2010/2011 Financial Year in Australia.

Each time the Minister has altered the rules for migration to Oz, he has also tightened those same rules up.

You are definitely right to think in terms of State sponsorship for your visa in the event that a sc 176 visa turns out to be the best visa for OH and family. There are 6 States and 2 Territories in Australia. (The 8 States, for simplicity.) Each State has its own Government. Each State runs its own Immigration Department. The fast, reliable link to the Immi Depts for all of the States is this one:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

The links provided in the DIAC burble about the sc 176 visa are long-winded and slow compared to the one above.

For the moment, I think you should speak with some migration agents. LOTS are recommended on PiO and it is unfair of me to suggest any names. Good agents do not charge for a 15 minute or so chat on the phone. In that time, not only can they discover a huge amount about OH, they can also narrow down which visa would be the best one for him to go for.

Please study the DIAC website as well:

Visas, Immigration and Refugees

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

Cheers

Gill

Hi Shirley

I'd say that your son is almost certainly still dependent on you at the moment. (In practical terms, I am sure you agree!)

However, I see that you have only joined PiO today and in the Welcome section, you have said:

A very warm welcome to Poms in Oz, by the way!

If a skilled subclass 176 visa turns out to be the best option for your family, you could easily be waiting till at least 2012 (and possibly longer) before a subclass 176 visa would be granted.

I'm not a migration agent but I should think that most of them would warn you that although you could add your son to your visa application at this stage (and in my view you should add him from the outset) whether or not a child remains dependent on Mum & Dad is not determined until the time of decision. The time of decision is just before your Case Officer finalises your visa application - which could easily be delayed for 3 years and perhaps more.

A child whose 25th birthday has passed is not dependent on Mum and Dad any more, regardless of what that child might be doing by/on his 25th birthday.

You have not said whether or not your son is an undergraduate at a unversity or what he might be studying towards. If he is at a university and he were my son, I'd tell him to think of a Masters or a PhD once he has completed his first degree. That would ensure that he would remain dependent on you for a good, long time.

Does this answer this part of your question? If not, please sing out.

The remainder of your larger question becomes more complicated everuy few months because the present Aussie Minister for Immigration keeps changing his mind about what he wants. His latest fpray into not havng a clue happened very recently, on 8th February 2010. His changes before that were dated 17th December 2008, 16th March 2009 and 23rd September 2009. More changes are likely from him on 1st Juky 2010, which will be the first day of the 2010/2011 Financial Year in Australia.

Each time the Minister has altered the rules for migration to Oz, he has also tightened those same rules up.

You are definitely right to think in terms of State sponsorship for your visa in the event that a sc 176 visa turns out to be the best visa for OH and family. There are 6 States and 2 Territories in Australia. (The 8 States, for simplicity.) Each State has its own Government. Each State runs its own Immigration Department. The fast, reliable link to the Immi Depts for all of the States is this one:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

The links provided in the DIAC burble about the sc 176 visa are long-winded and slow compared to the one above.

For the moment, I think you should speak with some migration agents. LOTS are recommended on PiO and it is unfair of me to suggest any names. Good agents do not charge for a 15 minute or so chat on the phone. In that time, not only can they discover a huge amount about OH, they can also narrow down which visa would be the best one for him to go for.

Please study the DIAC website as well:

Visas, Immigration and Refugees

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

Cheers

Gill

As it is at the moment, none of us knows where this is heading. The Minister has made some contradictory comments, DIAC officers do not fully understand the "changes", more changes are to come, all of which makes it so hard to advise.

However I would say, if you are serious about coming to Australia, then apply, include your son, try to geep him studying fulltime (AS Gill said), and who know what tomorrow will bring. What is certain is that you will not get a visa unless you apply.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Chris

As it is at the moment, none of us knows where this is heading. The Minister has made some contradictory comments, DIAC officers do not fully understand the "changes", more changes are to come, all of which makes it so hard to advise.

This is Shrley's thread and since she is so new, as yet she won't know that Senator Chris Evans is the Aussie Minister for Immi.

The Minister reminds me of the Duke of Plaza Toro. Who, according to Gilbert & Sullivan,

"Led his Regiment from behind.

He found that less exciting."

Cheers

Gill

Archived