Aspergers - will this affect future application for PR?

Guest Vicky Howarth

Guest Vicky Howarth

My 14 year old son has just been diagnosed with mild aspergers syndrome. We are on a 457 visa and looking to apply for permanent next year. Will this condition affect whether we will be granted a permanent visa? Any advice appreciated.

Guest guest30038
My 14 year old son has just been diagnosed with mild aspergers syndrome. We are on a 457 visa and looking to apply for permanent next year. Will this condition affect whether we will be granted a permanent visa? Any advice appreciated.

Someone more qualified than I will likely answer the visa question Vicky, but a slight comment if I may and please be assured I have your best interest at heart.

Never use the word "mild" when describing your son's condition. It won't help in obtaining any resouces to help your son. I tend to think of Aspergers as Autistic Spectrum Disorder and it appears that more and more, the professionals are tending to use this diagnosis also and are moving away from the dx of Aspergers. You know your son better than I, but ask yourself this question, "is his condition more pronounced on some days than others, or even more pronounced on different times of the day?"

I found that my son's condition (now aged 16) has worsened (anxiety) as he has got older due to the increasing pressures (from society) faced by most teenagers at that age.

It's a spectrum, and the condition can vary, therfore the intervention and help needs to vary, according to the needs of the sufferer at any given time.

Good luck with the visa

kev

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi there

Yes, it could affect your application for PR.

Beyond that, you have not told us enough of the facts (and on a public forum, I would not do so, either.)

Contact George Lombard in Sydney, I would suggest. He is one of very few real experts in a situation like yours:

Profile | George Lombard Consultancy Pty. Ltd.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Vicky Howarth

Thank you for your replies. Kev, you are right as some days he is better than others. Sometimes it is as if he doesn't have the disorder, whereas some days he can act belligerent and pedantic and make things difficult. He has been suffering from stress and anxiety recently, and he has only been diagnosed as a results of extensive tests and assessments to find out why this is. It is a relief to know there is a reason why he behaves as he does and that he not just being awkward, which is how it seemed most of the time. Luckily he does not get bullied at school, as the other kids just accept he has a few odd habits.

Gill, I will email George Lombard and see where that goes.

I agree with Gill, yes, Aspergers could well put a spoke in your PR wheel.

On a 457 visa as well (you dont say which state you are in), any additional support through disabilities programs could cost you $$$$.

The Dept of Ed website says you may be up for international student fees quote

Please note that disabled students holding 457 visas are required to pay international student fees and are not exempt under this visa subclass (see http://www.study.vic.gov.au/Intstu/disfees.htm). This is a Department of Immigration and Citizenship requirement.

Source http://www.study.vic.gov.au/Intstu/default.htm

Archived