Dealing with Case officers

RoseBrown1972

Does anyone have an advice on what it is like to contact your case officer?

We seem to have been waiting ages on visa decision, our medicals have been finalised since 5/1/10. We have one issue that we need a waiver for the requirement for non migrating kids to have the medical and have done the stat dec stating why we can't ask them, we have been told this could go 2 ways- accepted or they will still insist we ask and then they either do them or they refuse and we do another stat dec. But we've heard nothing.

We have a visa agent who just says that they don't like you contacting them or pestering them unless its crucial! But I've seen people mention contacting COs and getting responses. Apart from being stressful just waiting knowing nothing, my hubby whose job is a niche has been head hunted for a phone interview it would be horrible to lose this opportunity!

Can anyone advise on their experiences with COs?

Thanks!:arghh:

Guest dpm31567

rubbish its your case officer, i gave mine a ring under the pretence of asking her if i had sent in everything she required and if she needed anything else dont hesitate ,and just generally had a nice 5 minute chat ,without pushing the time scale at all,she was a lovely young lady and quite funny

two days later visa confirmation,sometimes a little jog can help

I have contacted my CO via e-mail and he has always responded quickly with no sign of disturbance.

Last time he even added "don't hesitate to contact me if any questions left".

However, I too think this is not an everyday open line and use it only when there is a serious metter to be solved.

Thanks! I think having a job offer that depends on a visa decision is reason enough. I will see what my agent says and what comes of the interview before I do anything.

I notice that you have been waiting a long while! I'm not asking for details but I assume you have something complicting things and have been waiting on external checks. That is what worrys me if they contact my husbands ex over the kids, she will do anything to mess things up for us and slow things down!

I sent an e-mail more than a month ago inquiring whether all the documents I've uploaded are received and usable or not as my document status still is showing required in the online status page, and one of the assistant of my CO replied that all are received and legal verification may take time. But my document status remain unchanged i.e. "required". Since then, no sound I heard from anyone from there ... Can anyone tell me what can be an ideal time I contact my CO once again ...?

I notice that you have been waiting a long while! I'm not asking for details but I assume you have something complicting things and have been waiting on external checks. That is what worrys me if they contact my husbands ex over the kids, she will do anything to mess things up for us and slow things down!

My external checks are stuck on getting responce from my own country government to the inquiry made by ASIO. It's difficult to get such responce in due time. For example, UK might gives such information in a couple or so days whereas my locals in 6 to 8 month.

That is what I'm waiting for now.

My external checks are stuck on getting responce from my own country government to the inquiry made by ASIO. It's difficult to get such responce in due time. For example, UK might gives such information in a couple or so days whereas my locals in 6 to 8 month.

That is what I'm waiting for now.

Hi MacKlaut,

Can you please tell me how and from where I would know whether my External check is in progress or not? It'll be very helpful if you can tell...

My visa agent is sticking to saying that they do not want you contacting them just to ask how long processing will be! He insists that at the moment I have no reason to worry I am just in the queue! I'm caught between my need to know and assuming he knows what he is doing in telling me not to! He has said that if my hubby gets a job offer then we can contact them and they may hurry things along! So I might wait and see what comes of the interview first ! I think these people think they are god we get timelines to do things but they can take as long as they like!!!

Guest Gollywobbler
I sent an e-mail more than a month ago inquiring whether all the documents I've uploaded are received and usable or not as my document status still is showing required in the online status page, and one of the assistant of my CO replied that all are received and legal verification may take time. But my document status remain unchanged i.e. "required". Since then, no sound I heard from anyone from there ... Can anyone tell me what can be an ideal time I contact my CO once again ...?

Hi Rubab

External checks can take ages.

According to your timeline, you did not submit your visa application until almost the end of November 2009.

You are on the CSL, I note. Which means that DIAC anticipate that your application will be allocated to a CO who will start to process it sometime within 12 months of submission of the application. How long the processing will then take depends on how many checks the individual CO decides to undertake, and how long it takes for the results of all the checks to reach the CO.

Your application will not necessarily be completed within 12 months of being submitted. The ASPC make this very clear in the weekly information e-mail that they send out:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/78598-aspc-adelaide-processing-update-email-9-february.html

The ASPC update the information e-mail every Tuesday on the whole. If you want your own copy of the information e-mail, please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au That particular e-mail address will produce an auto-reply, which sends you the information e-mail within about an hour, usually.

No human will read an e-mail from you requesting the weekly information e-mail so there is no need (and no point) to bother with a subject heading or any body text in the e-mail that you send.

Your CO's assistant told you what the position was not long after you submitted your visa application. Your best bet now is to wait patiently for AT LEAST another 3 months. If you pester your CO's assistant for information, the assistant will have to waste time replying to you instead of getting on with doing the checks which s/he has already told you will be required.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Could I ask some advise please.

What does finalised mean for your medicals?

My main area of concern is that my husband has 2 kids from a prior marriage who won't be migrating with us, we have an extranged relationship. They are 18 and 16, through no fault of our behaviour we have chosen not to have a relationship with them for the time being. Although we can contact them to ask them to do the medicals it will cause a war which is in no ones interest. On the advice of our visa agent we submitted a stat dec asking for a waiver giving the details why, our agent believes that we have sufficient grounds.

We had subitted our appliacation to hopefully miss the 18 year old birthday and take him out the equation but we got processed quickly, he has now had his 18th but I have heard this doesn't matter. My main area of concern is that our status has said medicals finalised since 5/1/10 but we have not heard a thing!

Do you have any knowledge of how they deal with this situation? I had been told it ws common place and straight forward but I'm not so sure when other people who are on the same visa type (175 CSL) who had there medicals later now have their visa and I don't!

Thanks

I had no idea other people weere calling and chatting to their CO. I did not even know the email address of mine never mind the telephone number. I only had a couple of queries along the way and sent them by PLE.

What can I say? Only that you're happy enough not to bother with all this routine mess.

If my application was finalised months ago I would not call or write my CO too.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

Could I ask some advise please.

What does finalised mean for your medicals?

My main area of concern is that my husband has 2 kids from a prior marriage who won't be migrating with us, we have an extranged relationship. They are 18 and 16, through no fault of our behaviour we have chosen not to have a relationship with them for the time being. Although we can contact them to ask them to do the medicals it will cause a war which is in no ones interest. On the advice of our visa agent we submitted a stat dec asking for a waiver giving the details why, our agent believes that we have sufficient grounds.

We had subitted our appliacation to hopefully miss the 18 year old birthday and take him out the equation but we got processed quickly, he has now had his 18th but I have heard this doesn't matter. My main area of concern is that our status has said medicals finalised since 5/1/10 but we have not heard a thing!

Do you have any knowledge of how they deal with this situation? I had been told it ws common place and straight forward but I'm not so sure when other people who are on the same visa type (175 CSL) who had there medicals later now have their visa and I don't!

Thanks

Hi Rose

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The meds which have actually been received have been finalised, it seems.

With regard to what view your CO will take about your step-children's meds, I'm not a migration agent. Like you, I've been told that the CO usually accepts a stat dec. If a stat dec is not acceptable to your particular CO, I would guess that the next step would be asking the two children.

The 18 year old is an adult so he does not need his mother's permission. I'm pretty sure that a 16 year old does not need a parent's permission either.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks for reply! Sorry I wasn't sure I 've just noticed that you answer a lot of queries.

As far as I know they don't need their mothers permission but in reality it isn't as straight forward as that. Their mother does heavily influence them but the relationship has broken down due to the kids actions and it is them that will say no. They state of play is that we have left it as that they contact us when they are ready to deal with the issues created by them without being nasty, so we feel hypocritical to then ring up when we need something.

We aslo have a solicitor who dealt with the kids issues originally who can verify our version of events, it helps that she is a close friend and has witnessed the kids and exs behaviour first hand. When things were slightly more amicable last year we raised the medicals and the responses was a list of demands that couldn't be met with the best will in the world!

To be honest it would get really complicated if we did have to ask, we'd have to get solicitors to do it, she would stall and mess us around in any way possible as I am sure she would have researched and have an idea of how it works. What we would get is that the 16 year old has GCSEs and can't take the time until after her GCSEs in June. What I don't know is would we be forced to wait by our CO or would they accept that they delays are unreasonable and take that as a no! What we would then get is come June she would decide she didn't want to do it after it! It sounds cynical but i know how this woman works from past experience!

So frustrating!!!

Thanks

Rose

I am in a similar situation regarding my CO, I'm going on subclass 120 to join the Australian Navy. Had a CO before Christmas who only needed my meds to be completed. Did all that and they were received on 18th Jan, everyone else I know going to Navy took about 2 - 3 weeks to get their Visa, I am still waiting. Have tried to e-mail but got no response, I now put delivery receipt as I wasnt sure my e-mail was working, the e-mail is being delivered, have tried ringing and no matter what time I ring I just get the answerphone, and never any return call or e-mail. I just need to know that they have all they need and an idea what is happening, I am supposed to be travelling in August and have lots to do here with my house etc. The waiting with no information is by far the worst bit !!!!! If anyone knows how to get even a small response, please help......

Guest Gollywobbler
I am in a similar situation regarding my CO, I'm going on subclass 120 to join the Australian Navy. Had a CO before Christmas who only needed my meds to be completed. Did all that and they were received on 18th Jan, everyone else I know going to Navy took about 2 - 3 weeks to get their Visa, I am still waiting. Have tried to e-mail but got no response, I now put delivery receipt as I wasnt sure my e-mail was working, the e-mail is being delivered, have tried ringing and no matter what time I ring I just get the answerphone, and never any return call or e-mail. I just need to know that they have all they need and an idea what is happening, I am supposed to be travelling in August and have lots to do here with my house etc. The waiting with no information is by far the worst bit !!!!! If anyone knows how to get even a small response, please help......

Hi there

The RAAN has a MUCH better chance of finding out what the Minister's plans are than you have.

A subclass 120 visa is a Labour Agreement. The public information is silent about the Minister's plans for Labour Agreements.

Do the RAAN have any information about this?

Cheers

Gill

Archived