Best way to move money?

Gothnet

Not that I have masses, but I'm wondering how to move money to australia.

I'm planning on moving out there in three or four weeks (PR granted December) and I still haven't really prepared very well. I've got the visa in my passport (thanks to Australia house and their very quick service), next is cash.

I'll be getting a bank account when I get there, but does anyone have experience of the best way to move cash without excessive amounts of bank fees and charges?

I bank with HSBC and last time I ran the figures through one of their online calculators they came out disappointing.

On the subject of disappointing, the exchange rate can also be described that way right now - about 60c less per pound than when I went out in '08. Damned financial meltdown...

Guest Burness2Oz

We use www.currencyonline.com who do not charge if tranferring £3k or more at a time. We have sent several amounts and it normally takes 2-3 business days direct from UK to our OZ bank.

The way it works is you get a free account and then when you feel the rate is good for you click to buy, then you enter a contract. You have 48hrs to pay from your UK bank account to their London Citibank account then when received they send your funds in AUD to your OZ account.

They have been very professional and helpful.

Take a look at their website, we would recommend them.

Good luck Hydie

I'm planning on moving out there in three or four weeks (PR granted December) and I still haven't really prepared very well. I've got the visa in my passport (thanks to Australia house and their very quick service), next is cash.

I'll be getting a bank account when I get there, but does anyone have experience of the best way to move cash without excessive amounts of bank fees and charges?

I bank with HSBC and last time I ran the figures through one of their online calculators they came out disappointing.

On the subject of disappointing, the exchange rate can also be described that way right now - about 60c less per pound than when I went out in '08. Damned financial meltdown...

HIFX have very good exchange rate and only takes 2-3 days to transfer too.

Hey, awesome. I'd seen a few online transfer sites but you can never be sure which ones might be trustworthy or any good, it's good to have a recommendation.

So any speculation from anyone on any sort of rally in the pound? I'm betting an announcement of an election might help...

hi if you transfere all your money to THE NATIONWIDE BUILLDING SOCIETY, You can use your card here as often as you like and just put in how much you want in dollars then its taken out and you get a much better exchange rate, BEST OF ALL YOU DONT GET CHARGED FOR DOING THIS, ive been here 15mths now and just use my uk account now so family can put in for birthdays and christmas that way it dont get lost in the post and like i said you get a betterrate.When transfering large ammounts we used Money corp no probs at all

Thanks for the posts. I was looking at Money Corp myself but will have a look at the other suggestions too.

Just remember to make sure the company is FSA authorised / registered if you are thinking about using someone who you haven't heard of before.

There is another way to move it though. It involves some nice Nigerian gentlemen who need your bank details to make a "substantial deposit". Not really the best way but enough greedy people fell for it in the past!! (401 scam)

hi if you transfere all your money to THE NATIONWIDE BUILLDING SOCIETY, You can use your card here as often as you like and just put in how much you want in dollars then its taken out and you get a much better exchange rate, BEST OF ALL YOU DONT GET CHARGED FOR DOING THIS, ive been here 15mths now and just use my uk account now so family can put in for birthdays and christmas that way it dont get lost in the post and like i said you get a betterrate.When transfering large ammounts we used Money corp no probs at all

YOU WILL GET CHARGED 1% FOR THIS BUT IT WILL NOT SHOW ON YOUR STATEMENT.

We also use Nationwide to shift money to Oz but they have charged 1% since last July, you just do not see it as a separate charge but they add (or subtract) it from the exchange rate.:sad:

Guest juliemtaylor
hi if you transfere all your money to THE NATIONWIDE BUILLDING SOCIETY, You can use your card here as often as you like and just put in how much you want in dollars then its taken out and you get a much better exchange rate, BEST OF ALL YOU DONT GET CHARGED FOR DOING THIS, ive been here 15mths now and just use my uk account now so family can put in for birthdays and christmas that way it dont get lost in the post and like i said you get a betterrate.When transfering large ammounts we used Money corp no probs at all[/QUO

You do now get charged a fee with Nationwide.

Julie x

Guest woods99

I always send money overseas by telegraphic transfer which I organise in my local bank branch office. I send Aussie dollars, I never buy overseas currency at this end.

If I were in the UK, I would send GBP to Australia.

Guest John from Moneycorp

Hi Gothnet

There is some information on international money transfers here: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-transfer-ask-experts/77470-money-transfers-explained.html

Hope you find that useful.

Let me know if you require any further assistance.

Thanks

John

Archived