Help with opening Westpac bank account

stewe12345

Can any one advise me please. Has any one recently opened a bank account with Westpac?

I opened two accounts (westpac choice and esavers) from the UK on the 25 Jan and I have just recived the paper work in the post today. I was under the impression I had 90 days to take my ID to my branch to validate the accounts but now im a little confused.

They have requested us to sign the terms and condition and find a acceptable referee to sign off identification documents. This needs to be done within two weeks.

Letter was dated 25 Jan so the two weeks is up. It also say that acceptable referees from overseas must be a International bank employee and known the applicant for over 12 months.

Really not sure if this applys to us or im reading it wrong??? Has any one else joined Westpac and what did they do????

perhaps its something to do with the esavers account?? We set up our cheque account online whilst in the UK, within 2 weeks received paperwork & about a week later we arrived in Perth, dropped into local Westpac branch with Passports in hand and that was it. Sorry, this isnt very helpful is it? If you have time on your side, email them ... tell them you have just received their paperwork (it is possible it could have been held up in UK Mail - they wont know) and that you are aware that the date has lapsed and make enquiries as to the need for referee. I had to email them before our docs were received in the UK as I was worried they wouldnt be received on thime and I can honestly say they are most helfpul.

NATS

perhaps its something to do with the esavers account?? We set up our cheque account online whilst in the UK, within 2 weeks received paperwork & about a week later we arrived in Perth, dropped into local Westpac branch with Passports in hand and that was it. Sorry, this isnt very helpful is it? If you have time on your side, email them ... tell them you have just received their paperwork (it is possible it could have been held up in UK Mail - they wont know) and that you are aware that the date has lapsed and make enquiries as to the need for referee. I had to email them before our docs were received in the UK as I was worried they wouldnt be received on thime and I can honestly say they are most helfpul.

NATS

Think I will drop them a email as cant make head or tail of it. Think they may have sent me forms that apply to Australian residents by mistake.

Guest juliemtaylor
Can any one advise me please. Has any one recently opened a bank account with Westpac?

I opened two accounts (westpac choice and esavers) from the UK on the 25 Jan and I have just recived the paper work in the post today. I was under the impression I had 90 days to take my ID to my branch to validate the accounts but now im a little confused.

They have requested us to sign the terms and condition and find a acceptable referee to sign off identification documents. This needs to be done within two weeks.

Letter was dated 25 Jan so the two weeks is up. It also say that acceptable referees from overseas must be a International bank employee and known the applicant for over 12 months.

Really not sure if this applys to us or im reading it wrong??? Has any one else joined Westpac and what did they do????

Hi, same letter, if you read down it further it does say 2 weeks for those living in Australia, and 90 days for those outside of Australia. So don't worry..

Julie x

Hi, same letter, if you read down it further it does say 2 weeks for those living in Australia, and 90 days for those outside of Australia. So don't worry..

Julie x

Ok thanks for your reply. Just confused me the way they put every thing together so was'nt sure

Guest turbopaul

I found it very difficult to get a bank to be my referee. (Barclays were not too helpful).

I did manage to get the reference after a lot of hassle, the next step it to get Westpec in London to confirm your ID and they will pass it on to their Aus counterparts.

What would of been the best bank to go to?

I only picked the bank because there one of the biggest, free banking for 6 months and they waver fees if my wages are paid into the account after the months.

WE ARE DEALING WITH MONEYCORP & THEY ARE ADVISING US ONE MENTIONED WAS A, N ,Z will check that but they did not advise westpack.

Guest juliemtaylor

you have the choice, you can either make an appointment in London office and take your passports etc, it still takes 2-3 weeks to get your cards - so no use for us as we'll be there in that. Or get someone to fill in the relevant section who is a Bank employee - can't be bothered with the hassle here. Or wait until you are there and take docs into your local Westpac bank and validate, they said they will give you temp cards to get immiediate access to your cash, and proper cards come in a week.

Julie x

you have the choice, you can either make an appointment in London office and take your passports etc, it still takes 2-3 weeks to get your cards - so no use for us as we'll be there in that. Or get someone to fill in the relevant section who is a Bank employee - can't be bothered with the hassle here. Or wait until you are there and take docs into your local Westpac bank and validate, they said they will give you temp cards to get immiediate access to your cash, and proper cards come in a week.

Julie x

Our visa's have not yet been granted so can't validate the accounts yet so it will be easier for us once we arrive in Oz.

Thanks

Stewart

Archived