6/12 month tourist visa and CPV questions.

mr luvpants

Hi all

We are geared up to fly out on the 25th December 2010. My in laws are coming with us and intend staying for about 6 months.They will then fly back to the UK for about 5 months and then want to return on a 12 month visa, leave oz before it expires and return so that they have another 12 months and towards the end of that, they will apply for a CPV.

I have had a look at the DIAC site and cant seem to find what I am looking for. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what visa/s we need to do this please?

1. What tourist visa will allow them to stay for 6 months?

2. What visa will allow them to stay for 12 months and as long as they exit and return to oz before it expires, they will get another 12 months.

3. Will they be allowed to apply for a CPV whilst on that visa or will they need to get a bridging visa between the two?

Hope that makes sense.

JOHN

Hi John,

I will attempt to answer this one and hope the rules haven't changed too much since I last looked at this. When last I got one of these long-stay tourist visas, I applied for a 676 visitor visa and filled this out online via the DIAC's Web site. This visa covers you for 6 or 12 months depending on what you want and your circumstances. Mine was a multiple entry visa valid so conceivably yes, (in general) you can get almost 2 years out of one of these provided you have the funds to cover such a long stay and can satisfy the DIAC that you are a genuine tourist.

If you go for the 12 month version of this visa often comes with the 8503 no further stay condition - in plain English that means you are not allowed to make an application for another visa whilst in Australia if this condition is applied. It it possible to obtain a waiver but only if your circumstances are exceptional. If you are thinking of going for the CPV then your best bet would be to get in touch with Gill.

Best of luck :smile:

Archived