Disability and Migration - Public Debate

George Lombard

This article in the Age: Discrimination Against Disabled Migration might be a sign of a changing of culture with respect to medical processing.

The author makes the point that Australia's migration practices are contrary to human rights obligations accepted by Australia. Out of interest, what can people tell me about medical barriers to migration to the UK and EU countries generally? I assume that the US and Canada still maintain equally strict medical requirements, but happy to listen to comments from consumers.

Cheers,

George Lombard

This article in the Age: Discrimination Against Disabled Migration might be a sign of a changing of culture with respect to medical processing.

The author makes the point that Australia's migration practices are contrary to human rights obligations accepted by Australia. Out of interest, what can people tell me about medical barriers to migration to the UK and EU countries generally? I assume that the US and Canada still maintain equally strict medical requirements, but happy to listen to comments from consumers.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George,

I guess in theory it is generally just as rigid here in the UK as it is for Australia, contary to the image that the mass media seem to portray here in the UK about migrants coming to the UK.

If you had asked me 3 months ago, my impression of the attitude towards applicants with disabilities gaining a visa to Australia, I would have said, probably highly unlikely. This is part could be due to the fact that Dr's in the UK in some diagnosis tend to highlight the negative aspects of a condition, rather than the positives.

When we had to jump through the hoops regarding my son's condition, we naturally declared it, and the Clinical Psychologist who examined him, provided an honest assessment.

To my relief, the MOC must have taken the positives and was happy for provide a pass for my son's application. Generally I would also like to add in that with speaking with the HOC regarding my application, they were very helpful and courteous. I am not so sure that would be the case in the UK as in other experiences of life in the UK, there is a 'jobs worth' attitude in many areas, and certainly a lot less sympathy towards the enquirer.

In the cold light of day, fortunately, I have not had to follow an appeal process, but providing the line of communication with HOC is active, then there is this feeling, that they are an approachable department and very helpful with providing advice.

It would be interesting to see how others migrating to the UK have faired under similar circumstances

Have a great weekend

Kind regards

Ron R

Hi George!

I am personally cannot stand any discrimination against anybody. Especially when such discrimination comes towards phisical disabilities. I think it's not fair in any respect.

The article provides a really good view on the issue. I agree that it's difficult to make the right assessment of a person's possible contribution for a society. Many well known scientists and famous people were phisically disabled but their contribution was even bigger than "normal" ones.

Archived