Anyone staying Rockingham/surrounding areas

Nats

Hi

Just wondered if anyone on here lives in/around Rockingham and commutes to and from the city.

Just arrived in Perth Thurs 28th, checked out Rockingham yesterday, seems nice ... wonder how easy the commute may be and any info on buses.

Thanks

Nats

hi nats we live in Secret Harbour you can commute to perth via the train station in rockingham i drive up most days without any problems weve caught the train at weekends family ticket $8.80 which includes the ferry over the river and buses in perth,but dont know about in the week but never heard any complaints and they have a 95% ish on time record so must be good.

check out www.transperth.wa.gov.au for bus and train timetables.

if you don't have internet access i can email you the timetables.

weekday mornings the train can be busy, but it's not a long trip to Perth.

The Mandurah train network is very new so works well so far.

on another note you weren't at Port Kennedy beach last night were you with your other half and little boy?

hi there, i have a friend who i worked with in uk and she moved to oz in april09. she lives in secret harbour and loves it. she has 3 children. my 2 brothers and there families live in singleton, not far from secret harbour. what do you think of secret harbour? i was over visiting family in nov/dec09 and went to secret harbour. thought it was lovely, as well as singleton, etc. i was born and lived in rockingham all my childhood and now my own family have just been, we are planning to move over but would maybe like to stay in port kennedy. the house prices seem alot cheaper but is it because its a bad area to live? any feedback would be much appreciated. we also went to perth on the train from warnbro station. also any feedback on port kennedy schools a must as i have a 5 year old, but will be nearly 7 by the time come over.

hi there, i have a friend who i worked with in uk and she moved to oz in april09. she lives in secret harbour and loves it. she has 3 children. my 2 brothers and there families live in singleton, not far from secret harbour. what do you think of secret harbour? i was over visiting family in nov/dec09 and went to secret harbour. thought it was lovely, as well as singleton, etc. i was born and lived in rockingham all my childhood and now my own family have just been, we are planning to move over but would maybe like to stay in port kennedy. the house prices seem alot cheaper but is it because its a bad area to live? any feedback would be much appreciated. we also went to perth on the train from warnbro station. also any feedback on port kennedy schools a must as i have a 5 year old, but will be nearly 7 by the time come over.

Port Kennedy is fine - though we were advised there are a couple of streets to avoid but don`t know how true that is. It`s pretty handy for everything as well, with shops & schools all nearby.

Port Kennedy is a very big suburb, with beach front homes fetching well over a million dollars through to starter homes further east near the main road for a couple of hundred thousand.

Then there is Kennedy Bay Resort which is finally getting going after many years.

So your choice is wide and varied. Generally the closer to the beach the better the area and higher the price ! Most areas are good, not as expensive as Secret Harbour as that has been marketed as a more up market suburb with the golf course surrounded by houses etc. Also as Secret Harbour still has land for sale by the developers they continue to maintain the road verges etc, so it all looks tremendous. In years to come when the final land is sold my understanding is the maintenance of the suburb will go to the City of Rockingham, so don't expect it to have the same manicured look to it's streetscape as it does now !

Do your homework, read all you can, get as many opinions, use google street view and the real estate web sites to form your opinion. Good luck, i am sure you won't go too far wrong.

hi, thanks for your response-always very helpful. i have seen another comment on port kennedy that a couple of roads to live in are not good, have you heard of this? it would be great to know any names the i should avoid. i don't want to move to an area where i will be unhappy and should have done more research. thank god for finding poms in oz! i really appreciate any ones comments.

if you can give the street names it weill make it easier for me to let you know what those spots are like. I have lived in Port Kennedy since 2001, and Warnbro on the edge of PK before that.

PS you can thank people if you find their replies helpful by clicking on the icon.

Guest mtcosby

Hi my OH works on the buses and he said the buses are about every 10 mins or so and they take you to the train station and from there the trains go straight up to the city every 10 mins or so... one station is in rockingham and the other is warnbro.... the train stations are also park and ride and if you get there early say 6am/7am you can park for free..... all buses inn the centre of perth are free they are called the 'cat' buses.....

Welcome to rockingham xxx

IMO nrth of river is accessible to the cbd a bit easier , if you drive it will be a pain in the arse on freeways both ways but for day shifts ,i presume you are a nurse its nottoo bad but hit the freeways early , as a grad do you do placements at other hossies , a grad at Charlies where oh works has gone to King Eddies next so if you do the public transport think about your travel after the train

Mally

Thanks for all the replies, I have just got my own internet access ... was using a cybercafe in the city before therefore not online much.

In the end we took a 1 bed unit in the city, it will do for now until we have settled & are more familiar with Perth and where we want to live. I can walk to work everyday which is a bonus, and get to enjoy Kings Park for a while longer before I succumb to the beach. Thanks again guys

x x x

Archived