Pet Friendly property rentals in Perth

RoseBrown1972

Hi

Me and my husband are hoping to move to Perth in November, initially we plan to use short term property rentals. Our problem is that we have a border collie that we would like to bring with us. We can leave her in kennels in the UK while we find work and long term rentals etc but what we are having difficulty with is establishing the reality of finding rental property with a dog in tow!

We've tried using websites, and even when we search for pet friendly sites we end up with properties that say no pets! But most don't give pets allowed as a search criteria! My hubby has sent a few emails to a few letting agents but so far no response. Another suggestion was that we find properties we like then ask about whether they allow dogs, thats not going to work as we can't get a long term rental until we are in Perth and we need to decide what to do before we go! So we can find her a new home before we leave.

Can anyone recomend any websites that are for pet friendly websites or advise us the reality?

Thanks

Hi

Me and my husband are hoping to move to Perth in November, initially we plan to use short term property rentals. Our problem is that we have a border collie that we would like to bring with us. We can leave her in kennels in the UK while we find work and long term rentals etc but what we are having difficulty with is establishing the reality of finding rental property with a dog in tow!

We've tried using websites, and even when we search for pet friendly sites we end up with properties that say no pets! But most don't give pets allowed as a search criteria! My hubby has sent a few emails to a few letting agents but so far no response. Another suggestion was that we find properties we like then ask about whether they allow dogs, thats not going to work as we can't get a long term rental until we are in Perth and we need to decide what to do before we go! So we can find her a new home before we leave.

Can anyone recomend any websites that are for pet friendly websites or advise us the reality?

Thanks

Their was a guy who had this website thing and charged youfor it but we just emailed the ones that did not specify no pets lol , you cant get a rental till you physically look at it in oz unless its a private ,where are you heading ,good thing to let your mutt cat ( booo) fly same time or later then get A holiday let ,then research rentals. , it depends where you want to stop ,but that again get a hol let for a while and have a shufty round

We need to make a decision on whether we take her before we leave so we can find her a new home so waiting until we are in Perth isn't an option. We looked into your suggestion of emailing landlords to see if they will take dogs but is pointless doing that now as you said we can't look until we are actually there so what is available now will be different by the time we are actually looking.

We will be using short term accomodation initially and leave her temporarily in kennels in the UK until we have something permanent, but if the reality is that we will struggle and have little choice then she will have to be left behind.

You said you emailed, how hard did you find it to get landlords who would take your pet? Would you say if you took say a 100 rentals that more would take dogs or more wouldn't?

We need to make a decision on whether we take her before we leave so we can find her a new home so waiting until we are in Perth isn't an option. We looked into your suggestion of emailing landlords to see if they will take dogs but is pointless doing that now as you said we can't look until we are actually there so what is available now will be different by the time we are actually looking.

We will be using short term accomodation initially and leave her temporarily in kennels in the UK until we have something permanent, but if the reality is that we will struggle and have little choice then she will have to be left behind.

You said you emailed, how hard did you find it to get landlords who would take your pet? Would you say if you took say a 100 rentals that more would take dogs or more wouldn't?

Leave it you dont sound so committed imo , it will be roughly 3k shipping and 800 bucks quarantine , you dont mention the quarantine , I think for your pets sake leave her , you dont sound so committed IMO

I'm not worried about the costs of bring her but we don't have a ulimited pot! We know all about the reloacation and quarantine costs! As to not comitted 2 people 2 days on the internet looking!

I think its better that we find her a good home before we go, than move and not be able find somewhere to live and not be able to control what happens to her!

I just want to find out the reality of how easy it will to find a home ideally for the 3 of us! But if not we have to make a very hard decision otherwise we won't be coming at all!

Guest perth awaiting

Hi

Try www.ozhouserental.com. They show pet friendly properties and they let on short term, fully furnished from $400 per week. You can also book before you leave UK. It shows you on each page what availability there is for each property.

Best wishes

Ann

I'm not worried about the costs of bring her but we don't have a ulimited pot! We know all about the reloacation and quarantine costs! As to not comitted 2 people 2 days on the internet looking!

I think its better that we find her a good home before we go, than move and not be able find somewhere to live and not be able to control what happens to her!

I just want to find out the reality of how easy it will to find a home ideally for the 3 of us! But if not we have to make a very hard decision otherwise we won't be coming at all!

Hi there

I am going to Perth in two weeks time :arghh:

Terrified now the time is near as i have not been before.

I'm taking my cats, they fly the day after me. They will be in quarantine for 30 days as will your dog. We are renting a furnished short term rental for a month so we have somewhere to stay when we land. During that month we will look for a longer term unfurnished rental. I have heard that if you offer a bigger bond because you have pets the landlords like that and also even if it says no pets then ask the question as apparently this is not set in stone for some landlords so i am not worrying about it. Someone will want my money, just flash a little bit more to entice them.

Luv Debbie x

Guest Clairey b

Just to say we brought our dog with us and didn't have any trouble in getting a rental with her in tow! There were a few properties that said no pets, but all the others we enquired about, having a dog just didn't seem an issue.

We were worried that we may have problems, but we were pleasantly surprised.

Wishing you lots of luck with whatever decision you make. Its tough, but i know for us having Hettie with us was the best thing we could ever have done, and helped us settle.

Lots of luck,

Claire

Hi Claire

Thanks that has made our day as we have been very worried! We had an email from a short term letting that said dogs have to be kept outside at all times! Seems extreme, what was your experience of this?

Hope you don't mind me asking but could you recomend the sites you looked at/used?

Hows life in Perth? What are living costs like? Hope you don't mind me asking but sometimes you just need inside info!

Thanks

Rose

Hi

You could always keep him in boarding kennels in Perth until you have found somewhere rather than keeping him in kennels in the uk. At least you will be able to visit him. Or even find a foster home in Perth via an ad in Gumtree or Poms in oz. We are going to Sydney in July ,sending our 2 Yorkies the day before us. Hopefully 1 month short term rental will be enough time to find a place for us and the mutts. Wouldn't even consider going if they couldn't go. I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck.

Denise

Guest Clairey b
Hi Claire

Thanks that has made our day as we have been very worried! We had an email from a short term letting that said dogs have to be kept outside at all times! Seems extreme, what was your experience of this?

Hope you don't mind me asking but could you recomend the sites you looked at/used?

Hows life in Perth? What are living costs like? Hope you don't mind me asking but sometimes you just need inside info!

Thanks

Rose

Hi Rose,

Perth is great. Found the first few months very difficult if i'm honest, but all is great now, and we all love living here.

Regarding our rental we just looked at realestate.com and also reiwa.com.au, but also we just decided on an area, then went into real estate offices. I found there were some properties that say no pets on the listing, but i enquired about the others. At the end of the day you don't lose anything by asking. Hettie flew a couple of days before us, which then gave us time to find a rental, and also gave us plenty of time to visit her twice a week!!! (which i would really advise if you can, as i know it really helped us and i'm sure it did Hettie too) About them living outside, i know alot of dogs do live outside, but again we haven't had experience of that, and certainly none of the rentals we were interested in said she would have to live outside.

Living costs we have found to be fairly expensive, although have become accustomed to them a bit more now! I think some things are expensive, but then other things outway them too. My salary is better than at home, although my hubby found it very difficult to get a job. He still isn't doing what he did at home, but has a job which is the main thing now, and again for what he does the salary isn't too bad. I found food shopping abit of an eye opener!, but again am more used to it now.

I wish you every luck, and if i can do anything please give me a shout.

Claire xx

Hi Rose,

you will be fine :)

where there's a will there's a way.

The reality is it's not most landlords first choice to have pets so your internet search might look quite bleak. But when you arrive and put an offer on the table and a move in date you will find it much more promising.

We rent here in the UK and have found that many landlords are breedist- they dont want to say pets welcome because they don't want 3 staffies or people breeding rotties and the like but perceived trainable pets like collies and labs they regard as ok. It's quite odd but i suppose non-doggy folk make judgements.

In the UK I've always offered for the landlord to meet my pet (none have taken me up on it but all have agreed based on the fact I have nothing to hide.)

My 2 doggies will be coming with me regardless, I will offer up a higher bond if it comes to it.

Hi , What kind of dog is she ?

We left out dog in the UK , for simular reasons . Even though we know she is getting looked after by some great people and lives with our ex-next door neighbours ,I would say don't leave her , it will make your homesickness sooooooo much worse . You may think that won't happen to me but it does , really it does.

As for pet friendly rentals , we now have a new dog , had him for just over a year , he's a little Gem . We rent in Perth and know of planty of others that have pets in rentals . We actually got him in our last rental , but they never knew . When the inspection dates were due we just took away bowls and took him out for a walk :)

He is a non-malting breed though.

Our rental is a lovely 4 x 2 in an excellent area, witha pool and nice gardens . Domain.com.au is a great website , it has plenty of private landlords out there , which in my opinion are much better , no 3 month inspections , muc more laxed and we haven't been to one privately owned rental where they wouldn't accept pets . It just cost us an extra $100 on our bond.

If you can afford and you are really attached to your pet please bring her , you will regret it if you don't.

Hi

Thanks

Our best tenants on our rent roll are renting a property in Carramar from us; they have 2 dogs and a cat and bar none they are the best ever tenants we have had on our books.

Landlords can be finicky when it comes to pets; luckily the landlords for this property went back home to Burnley in UK for 2 years.......... and they are dog lovers themselves so they didn't mind tenants having pets.

We hit lucky with both sets of tenants in this house; first couple had a dog too and they were fantastic tenants for 12 months. They moved out once they had built their new home and we took on this second couple as tenants; we just conducted the routine inspection yesterday and the house was perfect. 10 out of 10. Definitely the best tenants ever.

It just goes to show that pet owners can be perfect tenants........... unfortunately most landlords don't see it that way.

Hi Jo

She is a border collie, I think the decision has been made to bring her! A combination of some of the posts on here, finding a few short term rentals and some emails off letting agents have made us feel much more confident about bringing her.

Unfortunatly she is a molting breed so hiding her existence is not an option. We are probably now going to sell our house here so we can look into buying once we have work so that will increase our options!

I will check out that website as well thanks

Rose x

Hi Sarah

We emailing some letting agents who were helpful and positive, so feel more positive now!

Rose x

Wot you on about cant hide a border collie , soft lad has been here 2 years nearly with us ,now we are in our own place , but we haqve been in 3 rentals with soft lad and hid him easily , in fact if they dont eat the place the rental police dont bother ,just put the bowls out and have a hoover lol

Archived