When will expect the New FSL?

ritu

Dear friends,

Thanks for all members sharing views/information in this forum.I want to know the information from some other forum it will give some help to our members.So i want to paste it.

Thanks

Ritu

Phasing out of the CSL was linked by DIAC with the strategic and policy direction it will announce as an outcome of the MODL Review which it undertook with with DEEWR; and which was to lead to a new prioritising mechanism called the Future Skills List.

DIAC originally intended to announce the results of the MODL Review in December 2009 after it had gone to Parliament.

It wasn't able to meet that timeframe and Parliament will next sit between 2 and 11 February. Hopefully, things will progress soon after that, but it depends on the Order of Business during the sitting.

If it doesn't make it during the February sitting, Parliament 's next sitting will be 9 - 18 March.

Unfortunately, all we can do at this stage is "watch this space" and keep an eye on the daily Order of Business and Hansard between 2 - 11 February.

The proceedings of Parliament will be recorded in Hansard. But the implementation of whatever is agreed, the way it works, when it becomes effective, and its timing will be decided by DIAC.

Best regards

Susan __________________

Susan Wareham McGrath

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 0635687

susan@metaanz.com

www.metaanz.com

Dear friends,

Thanks for all members sharing views/information in this forum.I want to know the information from some other forum it will give some help to our members.So i want to paste it.

Thanks

Ritu

Phasing out of the CSL was linked by DIAC with the strategic and policy direction it will announce as an outcome of the MODL Review which it undertook with with DEEWR; and which was to lead to a new prioritising mechanism called the Future Skills List.

DIAC originally intended to announce the results of the MODL Review in December 2009 after it had gone to Parliament.

It wasn't able to meet that timeframe and Parliament will next sit between 2 and 11 February. Hopefully, things will progress soon after that, but it depends on the Order of Business during the sitting.

If it doesn't make it during the February sitting, Parliament 's next sitting will be 9 - 18 March.

Unfortunately, all we can do at this stage is "watch this space" and keep an eye on the daily Order of Business and Hansard between 2 - 11 February.

The proceedings of Parliament will be recorded in Hansard. But the implementation of whatever is agreed, the way it works, when it becomes effective, and its timing will be decided by DIAC.

Best regards

Susan __________________

Susan Wareham McGrath

susan@metaanz.com

www.metaanz.com

Thankyou for the update, I was wondering why the new list hadn't come out yet, lets hope things get sorted at the February meeting !! (ow and my skill still on the list) !!!

Guest Gollywobbler
Dear friends,

Thanks

Ritu

Best regards

Susan __________________

Susan Wareham McGrath

susan@metaanz.com

www.metaanz.com

Hi Ritu

Susan Wareham might well be right about the Minister having to go to Parliament etc.

On 30th November the Famous Five from PiO went to London to meet David Wilden, DIAC's Regional Director for Europe.

We asked him about progress with the new MODL and the CSL? He said that DIAC and DEEWR had received all the submissions etc from whoever provided them. The two public service departments had then written a joint Submission to the Minister. telling him what options are available for him to choose from.

David said that the joint Submission was with the Minister by the time we met with David. When it gets to that stage, the Submission stays with the Minister for however long it takes him to choose one of the options.

Mr Wilden said that he had no idea how long it would take before the Minister and his own "inner team" in the Ministerial Office would take to choose one of the options and make up their minds about it. Mr Wilden did not expect anything more until 2010 but he didn't know exactly when in 2010.

Mr Wilden didn't mention Parliament but if Susan is right and they have to approve the proposals as well then it might all take longer than the mushroom management on the DIAC website led everyone to believe.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Susan is correct that there would be parliamentary review of the Minister's decision, if it uses the existing legislation in the same way that the CSL was created, but the disallowable instrument would be the Minister's direction under s.499 of the Migration Act concerning the order of processing, so that would probably the the subject, if any, of parliamentary enquiry. But in an election year I doubt this will be seen as anything more than mechanics of government, ie whatever the Minister does would be allowed to stand.

A word of caution to the FSL hopeful: I think it's clear that whatever the FSL looks like, it won't be unrelated to the current CSL, which has been the subject of extensive politicking. The MODL, on the other hand, looks like a dinosaur, since it was last amended before the global financial crisis. I don't expect very much joy for tradespeople.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Susan is correct that there would be parliamentary review of the Minister's decision, if it uses the existing legislation in the same way that the CSL was created, but the disallowable instrument would be the Minister's direction under s.499 of the Migration Act concerning the order of processing, so that would probably the the subject, if any, of parliamentary enquiry. But in an election year I doubt this will be seen as anything more than mechanics of government, ie whatever the Minister does would be allowed to stand.

A word of caution to the FSL hopeful: I think it's clear that whatever the FSL looks like, it won't be unrelated to the current CSL, which has been the subject of extensive politicking. The MODL, on the other hand, looks like a dinosaur, since it was last amended before the global financial crisis. I don't expect very much joy for tradespeople.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

Thanks very much for your help.

David Wilden diidn't say anything about Parliament so I didn't think they would be involved. That said, Mr Wilden might have assumed that everyone on the British side of the long table knew more than we actually know about Aussie Law, the processes in the UK (let alone in Oz) etc. I know hardly anything about either. Land in a private practice is privately owned land in the UK so one doesn't need to know anything about Admin/Public Law etc.

Susan is usually right about the Aussie stuff and from what she says, the process could be quite slow so I will leave the thread as a "sticky" for a while.

I agree with you that whatever replaces the CSL is likely to copy its thrust. I also agree that the MODL is a dinosaur. I don't think it really matters too much for the tradies because although I don't think they will stay on a new MODL, one way or another they can get on to the State sc 176 Lists for the States that will have them and one way or another they can all get enough points for the States.

When I talked with David Wilden on the phone for about an hour, to organise the meeting the following week, I told him that I know that Australia is vast but it is difficult for an outsider like me to imagine how big. Why are NSW's requirements completely different from WA's requirements for tradies, for instance?

I don't think the UK has a direct correlation. I do - very strongly - agree that a migrant to Oz should go to where Australia needs that migrant to go to rather than the migrant choosing the destination and then trying to fit everything else round that. I think that in future, rekkie-holidays to Oz will need to be taken via looking at the State Lists for people's occupations instead of looking at the TV and concluding that the palm fringed beaches of QLD look nice.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Cheers,

George Lombard

So does it mean we will face reprospective priority changes again? New queues for existing applicants and etc.?

If so, unlucky ones will always surf in desparate game for finalisation then....

Surfing is an old Australin tradition.. catch the tide or lose the game...

I just wonder are there any chances that the parliament won't allow the hero minister to introduce another reprospective changes that worsen the exisiting applicants situation?

Oh dear!

I hope pre-existing tradies in the queue don't get shoved to the bottom, after nearly 3 years of waiting already - not sure how we'd cope :( - we're fully qualified, we're ready, we have our own money and we want to work!

I hope you're right Gill with the SS keeping the door open just a little bit for us!! It seems we keep getting to the front......getting excited......then we hear......"no sorry can you go to the back of the queue again please."

Dear friends,

Thanks

Ritu

Best regards

Susan __________________

Susan Wareham McGrath

susan@metaanz.com

www.metaanz.com

Oh, Thanks Susan for such an important information.T

his information is very value able to the people like me who are waiting for last 3 years.

Oh dear!

I hope pre-existing tradies in the queue don't get shoved to the bottom, after nearly 3 years of waiting already - not sure how we'd cope :( - we're fully qualified, we're ready, we have our own money and we want to work!

I hope you're right Gill with the SS keeping the door open just a little bit for us!! It seems we keep getting to the front......getting excited......then we hear......"no sorry can you go to the back of the queue again please."

Matey no body is talking about the category 6 and 7. When I applied way back in 2007, I carefully went thru the website which said processing time for the visas like mine is 15 months:cry:.It is already 33 months brother. Nobody knows how many more. 33 +........months and that too for a provisional visa does not sound good to me friends.

Please Mr. Gill talk to Mr. Wilden on this point that why are DIAC taking too much time for the provisional visas....like mine.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi VB

Please Mr. Gill talk to Mr. Wilden on this point that why are DIAC taking too much time for the provisional visas....like mine.

I'm female, by the way, but that isn't important. Gill is short for Gillian!

There is nothing I can do about the Cat 6s and Mr Wilden can't do anything about them either.

By mid-November 2009 the Minister had a backlog of about 145,000 GSM visas to deal with. Please see my reply to you on the Cat 5 thread yesterday. The migration program only allows 108,100 skilled visas between 1st July 2009 and 30th June 2010. Of that number, about 60,000 visas are earmarked for GSM applicants during ths current year.

At the meeting in London the PiO people said that we knew about the skilled visa planning levels for 2009/10. How many of this 108,100 visas had actually been granted since 1st July 2009? Everyone at the meeting agreed that it would be useful to have the figure up to 30th November 2009. Just before Christmas 2009 David Wilden wrote to me again and the attachment to his e-mail is on a couple of threads and is attached to this post. He was willing to provide the figures but his DIAC colleagues in Autralia are not willing to provide them, apparently. They think it will just confuse everyone if the public get hold of the figures.

I've written back to Mr Wilden this week, grumbling bitterly about this point. Time has passed and the half-yearly, detailed breakdown in the numbers of visa grants so far, which visas etc per number of grants etc are all now available, for sure, made up to 31st December 2009. The Minister will want those figures, for sure, so they are definitely available.

The nonsense from DIAC that prospective migrants would find the figures "confusing" is rubbish. DIAC staff do not have a monopoly on brains. We've got them too and on PiO we also have access to lots of migration agents. They will soon analyse the figures for us and their analyses will be right. Alan Collett from Go Matilda is a Chartered Accountant in England, Wales and Oz. If he gets the real figures from DIAC he will be able to run a special spreadsheet or some computer program which will enable us to make predictions for the remainder of the current year, based on the planning levels for 2009/2010.

I've been very harsh with Mr Wilden about this - on purpose. Claiming that foreigners are too stupid to understand a set of figures is intellectual nonsense and it is also insulting. Peter Mares - the ABC radio journalist who knows about migration and is sympathetic to applicants for visas - can get those figures via using the Aussie Freedom of Information Act. The numbers do not involve issues of Aussie national security.

Hopefully Mr Wilden will tell his colleagues in Oz, "This woman in the UK is worse than Mrs Thatcher! She is handbagging me for the figures to 31st December and is threatening to ask Peter Mares to get them. If he doesn't like them, he will make a fuss on ABC Radio yet again."

I will NOT have a bunch of Aussies treating me like a mushroom who is too stupid to understand their bluddy figures and to get them properly analysed. I am prepared to concede on lots of other things but I'm sticking to my guns about the half-yearly figures.

Registered Migration Agents or the Migration Institute of Australia can't really demand the half-yearly figures. They have clients who have made applications to DIAC and other clients who will do so in the future. They can't afford to upset DIAC because of those clients. I'm not a migration agent, I don't have any clients who are interested in moving to Oz, I live in the UK and I am not seeking a skilled visa for Oz.

It might never have been done before. I gather that DIAC do not usually supply the half-yearly figures to the world. However DIAC is in a position where 145,000 GSM visas in the backlog means over $2 million AUD - all of it the money of non-Australians - are in the Aussie Government's coffers at the minute. The various skills asessment authorities are all in Australia and they have all had foreigners' money as well. In some cases IDP have also had money from foreigners in Australia. IDP belongs to Kerry Packer. He is an Aussie. HSA - the authorised immi Health people in Oz - have also had thousands of dollars from the ex-Students in Oz and will receive thousands more because nearly all the Students will have to have their meds done again.

The applicants, on the other hand, are facing intolerable delays which they were NOT led to expect in the beginning. Sure, the Aussie Minister can change the timescales whenever he likes but if he is a man of honour he also has to understand that he will have to give more ground in return than he has offered so far. If he is not a man of honour then he shouldn't be an Aussie pollie either.

Mr Wilden said that Minister Evans also said that he (the Minister) is not happy that his new arrangements could well result in some people waiting for longer than 3 years for their visas. Aussie Immi Law does not allow the Minister to offer anyone their money back in most cases. The Minister anticipates that some applicants will get fed up with waiting for him so he has told DIAC to find out about refunding people's DIAC application fees. Apparently DIAC can't simply give it back. They have to discuss the possibility with the Aussie Treasury and for all that I know they might have to consult others as well.

Sorting out the mechanics of offering people refunds will not happen quickly - that is for sure. I say that since this is so, the applicants MUST be told where they stand and the half-yearly figures will enable them to work a lot of it out.

We will see where we get to on this one because I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask Peter Mares to get those figures for me.

Cheers

Gill

Hi VB

I'm female, by the way, but that isn't important. Gill is short for Gillian!

Gill

Oh I am really sorry for such a blunder mistake. I did not know that. This mistake would not happen again.. apologize for this mistake...

And, I am really thankful to you for providing such a detailed reply.

This is very confusing stuff. As applicants are just lost into the numbers. We applied on the bases of instructions given on the DIAC website at that time and now every thing is messed up. God knows how much more time it would take to grant our visa. Already 33 months are lost for just a provisional visa.

It might never have been done before. I gather that DIAC do not usually supply the half-yearly figures to the world. However DIAC is in a position where 145,000 GSM visas in the backlog means over $2 million AUD - all of it the money of non-Australians - are in the Aussie Government's coffers at the minute. The various skills asessment authorities are all in Australia and they have all had foreigners' money as well. In some cases IDP have also had money from foreigners in Australia. IDP belongs to Kerry Packer. He is an Aussie. HSA - the authorised immi Health people in Oz - have also had thousands of dollars from the ex-Students in Oz and will receive thousands more because nearly all the Students will have to have their meds done again.

Hmm, That is a biggest earning market in the world.

I don't expect very much joy for tradespeople.

Hi George,

I was just wondering with regards to the above quote - is there a reason that you have these suspicions??

We've been doing some Australian work force research and with aritcles detailing possible migrant figures in future years, and the many articles concerning the baby boom and age of the current work force, I thought that the FSL was to be made up of occupations that would help the future development of Australia and thought trades would be needed? We have read several articles with concerns over future skills shortages due to large projects (mainly in WA) as well as domestic construction projects in the Northern Teritory, with a substantial wait time due to lack of trades people - will these just be filled with temporary work visas instead?

We have a relative in Oz (WA), who is also a trade, and he reports to us the frequent job opportunities/careers that are not being filled. I understand that there has been a recent new initiative to encourage younger people to take up trade apprenticeships in Oz - is this how the government is wishing to fill positions in the future instead of overseas trades?

I'm sorry for not giving exact quotes, reviews or paper issues - I read so much regarding these issues it's hard to remember everything?

If you could shed any light on to this issue I'm sure I, as well as other tradies, would very much appreciate the information.

Kind Regards

"I don't expect very much joy for tradespeople." George statement.

By read above statement my logical mind start playing with some logic.

It is like this,

In first CSL list was declared, Construction and Metal industries Trades Were In CSL. It mean, these trades are in High Demand in market. Right?

When Mr. Minister was decided to Trim Above CSL To Meet Australian Economy's Downturn etc. And Mr. Minister Removed Construction and Metal industries Trades from CSL. well its OK.

Now my point is that,

When Mr. Minister will Start To wide/review Current CSL( which will Known as FSL in Future)

, Construction and Metal industries Trades Must be in FSL, Because First CSL Was Indicate That These Tardies are In High Demand.

please extend, improve or give your opinion for this logic to put this logic in next level.

Thank You.

I don't expect very much joy for tradespeople.

Hi George,

I was just wondering with regards to the above quote - is there a reason that you have these suspicions??

We've been doing some Australian work force research and with aritcles detailing possible migrant figures in future years, and the many articles concerning the baby boom and age of the current work force, I thought that the FSL was to be made up of occupations that would help the future development of Australia and thought trades would be needed? We have read several articles with concerns over future skills shortages due to large projects (mainly in WA) as well as domestic construction projects in the Northern Teritory, with a substantial wait time due to lack of trades people - will these just be filled with temporary work visas instead?

We have a relative in Oz (WA), who is also a trade, and he reports to us the frequent job opportunities/careers that are not being filled. I understand that there has been a recent new initiative to encourage younger people to take up trade apprenticeships in Oz - is this how the government is wishing to fill positions in the future instead of overseas trades?

I'm sorry for not giving exact quotes, reviews or paper issues - I read so much regarding these issues it's hard to remember everything?

If you could shed any light on to this issue I'm sure I, as well as other tradies, would very much appreciate the information.

Kind Regards

Hi, on the trades not being likely to be on the new listing when it comes out. I have been looking at state sponsorship for NSW who only take very limited skills, on the NSW goverments website I found a list called "State and Territory Skill Shortage List New South Wales", this list was updated in July 2009. On this list there are loads of trades.

This I find confusing, this list says they are short of tons of skills, yet they are only taking about 5 skills in on state sponsorship. Very confusing.

Does anyone know how regular the skills are looked at and updated on the State Sponsorship scheme???? Is this done yearly??? Is Regional Skills lists updated yearly???

:arghh:

"I don't expect very much joy for tradespeople." George statement.

By read above statement my logical mind start playing with some logic.

It is like this,

In first CSL list was declared, Construction and Metal industries Trades Were In CSL. It mean, these trades are in High Demand in market. Right?

When Mr. Minister was decided to Trim Above CSL To Meet Australian Economy's Downturn etc. And Mr. Minister Removed Construction and Metal industries Trades from CSL. well its OK.

Now my point is that,

When Mr. Minister will Start To wide/review Current CSL( which will Known as FSL in Future)

, Construction and Metal industries Trades Must be in FSL, Because First CSL Was Indicate That These Tardies are In High Demand.

please extend, improve or give your opinion for this logic to put this logic in next level.

Thank You.

Hi,

I do agree with you pogo, tread should in FSL at list that all what was in first CSL.

Archived