zone

I have always been a silent reader of POZ and it has been really great with all the visa updates and inside information. Thanks for everything guys.

I have a question regarding my situation. Professionally, I have a degree in architecture and urban planning and have been working in retail architecture division of a company in Sydney since August 2007 through a recruitment agency.

When I filed my offshore visa application in Nov 2008, my agent advised me to get my degree assessed as an interior designer as he thought it was more close to the profession I was working on. I was more inclined towards urban planning but listened to his advice and filed it on 25th Nov, 2008. I was quite for a year with all the changes. Before the end of last year, I thought it’s enough and asked VETASSESS to change my occupation and they reissued the certificate with change of occupation. Now I have my occupation assessed as urban planning as well.

I asked my agent, if I could change my occupation and he said yes I could but after reading all the forums, I am pretty sure that I need to reapply and pay the application fee again. I am not very happy with my current agent, even though I have paid almost 90% of his fees.

My dilemma now is should I go for a new application with change of occupation? I have been working more in architecture than planning even though there is some element of planning to it. Both of the subjects are like interlinked with each other so it is advisable to reapply as the latter is in CSL. I honestly think I need second professional advice.

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers!

zone

:smile:

I have always been a silent reader of POZ and it has been really great with all the visa updates and inside information. Thanks for everything guys.

I have a question regarding my situation. Professionally, I have a degree in architecture and urban planning and have been working in retail architecture division of a company in Sydney since August 2007 through a recruitment agency.

When I filed my offshore visa application in Nov 2008, my agent advised me to get my degree assessed as an interior designer as he thought it was more close to the profession I was working on. I was more inclined towards urban planning but listened to his advice and filed it on 25th Nov, 2008. I was quite for a year with all the changes. Before the end of last year, I thought it’s enough and asked VETASSESS to change my occupation and they reissued the certificate with change of occupation. Now I have my occupation assessed as urban planning as well.

I asked my agent, if I could change my occupation and he said yes I could but after reading all the forums, I am pretty sure that I need to reapply and pay the application fee again. I am not very happy with my current agent, even though I have paid almost 90% of his fees.

My dilemma now is should I go for a new application with change of occupation? I have been working more in architecture than planning even though there is some element of planning to it. Both of the subjects are like interlinked with each other so it is advisable to reapply as the latter is in CSL. I honestly think I need second professional advice.

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers!

zone

:smile:

Hiya zone.

I cant help myself tbh,the only thing i can suggest is you P.M "gollywobbler"(gill),she might be able to help you,she's dead helpfull as regards things i wouldnt even have a clue about tbh,one day she will kill me,because i allways refer people to her wubclub:,and im just adding to her massive workload if truth be told!But if she can,she WILL help you,good luck btw zone:wink:

I am afraid you cannot change the occupation you have applied under unless you lodge a new application. I don't really understand why you think you need to though?

There was a new rule at the end of last year that says for trade occupations the work experience and nominated occupation must be the same but as fas as I can tell this is not retrosepctive and also not for professional occupations. In those cases the nominated occupation and work experience must be closely related. I am afraid I am not knowledgeable enough of your occupation to determine whether they are closely related in your case but I assume your agent would have a good view on this.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi zone

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I asked my agent, if I could change my occupation and he said yes I could but after reading all the forums, I am pretty sure that I need to reapply and pay the application fee again.

Your application was made fairly recently. There is a chance that DIAC will accept that a mistake was made by your agent in identifyng your occupation. If so, they may let you change the occupation in your existing application or they might let you withdraw the existing application and refund your fees. These routes are not guaranteed to work but one of them might work.

Urban Planner is on the CSL. Did your agent point that out to you? The CSL is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

I suggest that you look at the detailed ASCO Code for Interior Designer and Urban Planner:

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

The CO from DIAC will consider the task list in the ASCO Code in order to work out what you actually do for a living. How closely do the detailed tasks equate to what you actually do, please?

Cheers

Gill

Your application was made fairly recently. There is a chance that DIAC will accept that a mistake was made by your agent in identifyng your occupation. If so, they may let you change the occupation in your existing application or they might let you withdraw the existing application and refund your fees.

Would November 2008 be considered recent, nearly 14 months ago.. :unsure:

Thanks everyone for yor valuable comments.

Gill, it was me who figured out that Urban Planning is under CSL and alerted my agent. Also, this time I did the VETASSESS myself. Actually, I didn't put a new application. I asked for a change of occupation and paid $26.5 and I received a new VETASSESS based on what I had submitted earlier. So, if I can change my occupation without submitting anything, isn't it kind of related ? These are the questions which comes to my mind.

As per Gill, if my agent can request change of occupation and actually happens without having to reapply, it will be great as I will still retain my lodgement date. This way may be I can get a case officer immediately.

My only worry is work occupation and I don't think my agent knows my area very well to give a black and white answer.

Thanks everyone again.

zone

:~>

Guys,

Can anybody throw me some light on the process of changing your ocupation? Has anyone in this forum done that before?

This forum has been really helpful and I want to make sure I am aware of the process before I talk to my agent again. (He is a big bull****ter and I am gonna deal with him once I bloody get my application approved.)

Thanks in advance guys. You all are champs.

:)

zone

Guest Gollywobbler
Would November 2008 be considered recent, nearly 14 months ago.. :unsure:

Hi Pumpkin

You are right and I am wrong. I read it as an application being lodged in Nov 2009.

However if an RMA has got the occupation wrong, the RMA or his insurers would pay for a new visa application, skills assessment etc.

Cheers

Gill

Archived