Anyone in Bendigo

theonetruechris

Just had an interview in kangaroo flat. I know this may be jumping the gun but they did seem keen and expressed an interest in me moving to bendigo if successful. I know it won't be practical to commute from Melbourne for more than a few weeks or so. I'm after a bit of background on Bendigo it seems nice had a drive round yesterday bit of a frontier town feel bit like geelong and ballarrat to me. Whats it really like? The guy interviewing me said it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter wondering how hot and how cold. Also my pet subject - creepy crawlies and tiny things that can kill you are there more spiders, snakes etc up there?

I do want to get away from Melbourne and the endless suburban sprawl so Bendigo being smaller / slower is a good point for me.

The only fly in the ointment could be we're on 457 visa's through the wifes work & she's being sponsored for pr by them in richmond so may have to settle halfway between the two (diggers rest, sunbury) unless I can get sponsored myself - talking to the guy at the interview they say its hard to get skilled people up there.

So Bendigo whats it like?????

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Chris and Kelly

Good luck with the job.

Bendigo is lovely and if I didn't need to be near the CBD I would have considered it.

In regards to a suburb half way for Kelly's work, I think Diggers Rest and Sunbury would be ideal. I like both of them. I spent quite sometime training dogs up at the Kepala Boarding Kennels so often frequented the area. Only issue may be the noise from the planes coming over depending on where you choose to settle.

Bendigo, up in the goldfields of Victoria is a great 'city', a lot smaller than Melbourne. It has everything you need up there, and only a 1hr 45min drive straight down the freeway. It is a slower lifestyle up there for sure, but some families get a couple of acres and have some animals etc. It has been predominantly a farming community, and the people are pretty down to earth salt of the earth 'country' people. It can get cold in the seasons, same as Melbourne, but no where near as cold as Ballarat. My son comes and goes from Bendigo (work dependent) and

he loves it, he feels there is a great sense of community up there. I certainly wouldn't compare it to a 'green English village' as it is hot and dry up there and the grass & countryside can get pretty parched and yellow. However, if you are up to try it, go for it, what have you got to lose? You can always move later on, property is cheaper than Melbourne up there that's for sure. As Kate mentioned, Sunbury or Lancefield etc would be okay - you do get some planes going over but depends how far you buy under the runway. Hope you give it a go!

Love Bendigo both my son and daughter were in Bendigo for a year and they loved it, lots to do at night, lots of pubs. Can walk to most things so my daughter liked that. Big University there so lots of students around.

If my daughter could get a job teaching in Bendigo she would jump at a chance to return there to live.

It does get cold in winter but then our family like cold, preferable to hot. Dry cold though.

Archived