Deadly funnel-web spiders invade Sydney

kernow43

An influx of the deadly Sydney funnel-web spider has taken hold in the Australian city of the same name after a spate of wetter than usual weather brought them scuttling into suburban gardens and sheds. The Australian Reptile Park, which makes anti-venom for funnel-web bites, has recorded higher than usual numbers of funnel-webs and warned the plague could get worse

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/6951425/Deadly-funnel-web-spiders-invade-Sydney.html

Found a few 'Victorian' funnel webs around the house a couple of months ago (in Geelong area). They nest in the corners of the patio doors and under the roof gutters. It's easy to spot the webs.

The local gym cleaned out about a dozen in their roof before getting the bug man in to spray the little critters.

Victorian funnel webs are 'not as deadly'. Very reassuring!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone,

i had heard somewhere that no human had died of a spider bite in Australia for over 50 years, is this correct and if it is, whats the fuss about. Or do they attack, attack, attack and theres reports all the time, just what is the truth, pardon the pun, is the news CRAWLING with spider bite stories.

jim.

Guest proud2beaussie

There have been 14 deaths from funnell web spider bites in 100 years,that equates to 1.4 per decade (not that you can be 0.4 dead,lol!) but there is an anti venene available,I reckon the newspapers are suffering because there isn't much news to report at this time of year so they beat up everything they can into a headline.

i see lots of webs thsat look like funnels but i dont think that the spider creating them is the funnel web, they are supposed to be prefer the ground and also can be 4.5 cm so its a biggish spider

If it looks like a funnel with a circular hole in the centre about 1 to 2 cm wide then it's probably a funnel web - try tapping the web with a pencil, a big black spider should run out and back in again.(for extra excitement, tap web with finger)

If it looks like a funnel with a circular hole in the centre about 1 to 2 cm wide then it's probably a funnel web - try tapping the web with a pencil, a big black spider should run out and back in again.(for extra excitement, tap web with finger)

I have problems going within meters of these, perhaps a fishing rod as apposed to pencil?

I've come across a few.. We actually live where the reptile park used to be!! Yea, our house is where the crocodile pit was. Seriously though, funnel webs are gross but they can't climb and although they are aggressive they are big buggers, so you'd know you've come across one.

Its not the venamous spiders that scare me - its the bloody huntsman with their fast hairy legs. If one of those got into my car I swear i'd cos a major pile up ... if the roads were busy enough!

Forgive me, I have pointlessly commented on numerous threads this evening with nothing helpful to contribute. Im just so excited to be leaving for Oz next week - the 2.5 glasses of wine consumed isnt helping! I just cant wait to be in your situation ... on the other side of here

Guest proud2beaussie

Only 2.5 glasses Nats? you have to do better than that to be considered sloshed on PIO my girl!

Seriously congrats on the move,I hope it all works out brilliantly for you.

Now go and have another drink.

Cheers

N'oz

BTW Huntsmen spiders are good to have around-they eat flies and dust mites etc.

Only 2.5 glasses Nats? you have to do better than that to be considered sloshed on PIO my girl!

Seriously congrats on the move,I hope it all works out brilliantly for you.

Now go and have another drink.

Cheers

N'oz

BTW Huntsmen spiders are good to have around-they eat flies and dust mites etc.

I've filled my glass Nigel ... infact, I have taken the bottle from the fridge, it is now by my side!! My OH will murder me tommorrow when he realises that I havent completed my packing!! He has packed so many objects, has being doing it for months on end - ME on the otherhand - I couldnt until the flights were booked & I knew I was definately going somewhere ... I cant bring myself to throw stuff away, thats the problem!! You've been on a few of my threads of interest Nigel - not solely the 'flight recommendations' ... I like the familiarity of a recognised name!! This place is like such a knitted community - at times its hard to break in!! Anyway, I think I've probably moved on from the issue of FUNNEL WEB SPIDERS so perhaps I should totter off, but thankyou, its great to receive wellwishes from the other side! Are you in Perth? I cant remember ... I know your with Emirates - Im flying with them :biggrin: and apparently I dont need PR for extra baggage - well, Im still winging that one:cute:!!!

Guest proud2beaussie
Are you in Perth? I cant remember ... I know your with Emirates - Im flying with them :biggrin: and apparently I dont need PR for extra baggage - well, Im still winging that one

Hi Nats,

No I'm in Victoria,and I run my own travel agency but I do have a sales agreement with Emirates,I'm sure you will have a great flight with them,they are an excellent airline,as regards extra baggage well you do need an unvalidated PR visa to get that but maybe if you turn on the charm you might get away with it,lol.

Anyway have a great trip and congratulations on the move,I hope you enjoy Australia.

Cheers

N'oz

(Apologies to the OP for going off topic)

Archived