In Need of advice!! Longing to be back in UK

Guest sundance

Guest Gloucestershire Girl

My advice to anyone who is HOMESICK is get back to the place that you need to be.

HOMESICKNESS IS A TERRIBLE, SERIOUS ILLNESS!! I HAVE BEEN THROUGH I & NEVER AGAIN !

I too was 'stuck' in Auckland, New Zealand and it took 6 determined years for me and my New Zealand husband to get back to the UK, leaving us a small investment property, near his family, in New Zealand to keep the ties there for my husband.

Just like you planned your trip there, plan your trip back. You know you can do it!

A man can live anywhere eventually, but a woman needs to be somewhere where she is happy, for the sake of the familiy's happiness. Tell friends and family that you miss them and accept their help to get you back/accomodation etc. Tell them that you are homesick, Brits are very compassionate when it comes to things like this.

We have got ourselves back to the U.K, sure there's a recession on, but if your mind is in the right place you can make things work. We are working in London, have our plan in place to get back to Gloucestershire to be nearer to family and friends although they are only 2 hours away. Most of the planning has been my doing, my husband just wanted us to be happy and for me to have my bubbly character back!

HOMESICKNESS for me was such a terrible illness, which left me whilst flying back to the U.K !

It WAS THE BEST FLIGHT OF MY LIFE AND I LAUGHED ALL THE WAY HOME!

Guest rachellh
Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a dilema My family and I came out to Perth in July this year we both got jobs here before we came and I am a newly qualified nurse and got a post grad programme here for 12 months. The children seem to have settled pretty quickly and are ok however my husband and I are so miserable here it may sound pathetic we used to moan about the UK but we really miss the shops, the change of weather(yes sad I know) everything in geeneral and do so regret coming we gave up so much to do this and I don't know what we expected but we feel so empty here., I spend most of my time crying. We are considering going back asap however this would mean I would have to break my 12 month contract with work and we also are totally broke financially we were gonna use our credit card to get back to uk and find somewhere to rent and get our furniture back etc but I won't have a job to go back to straight away although my husbands old boss said there may be a job for him back there - we feel we don;t know what to do for best - however in my heart I feel happiness has to be top priority - has anyone experienced what we are going through and could offer some advice - any shape or form would be greatly appreciated - feel so down want to do whats right for the family.

Thanks so much

SD x

If you can wait it out for another 6 months I would. We are also leaving around that time, and just knowing that I have a cut off point means that I am quite happy to be here. Bizarre as that may sound!

Sometimes it is the being here and thinking you will never leave that makes it worse. If you have a date to work towards you might find you can enjoy the time you have left and look forward to your return to the UK. Why not try booking some flights to return on, so you know when you'll go? This might also help you to get a really good deal like we did - albeit with Air Asia!

I'd use the remaining months you have left to prepare for the trip and to try and save as much money as possible. Going back and starting again is an expensive exercise, and as we all know, nothing puts more strain on a life and relationship than serious lack of money. Well, except for a new born baby and sleepless nights perhaps!

The winter in Perth was a shocker, and it's a tad cold back in the UK at the moment, so you might as well make the most of some sun before you go!

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Rachel :biggrin:

If you can wait it out for another 6 months I would. We are also leaving around that time, and just knowing that I have a cut off point means that I am quite happy to be here. Bizarre as that may sound!

Sometimes it is the being here and thinking you will never leave that makes it worse. If you have a date to work towards you might find you can enjoy the time you have left and look forward to your return to the UK. Why not try booking some flights to return on, so you know when you'll go? This might also help you to get a really good deal like we did - albeit with Air Asia!

I'd use the remaining months you have left to prepare for the trip and to try and save as much money as possible. Going back and starting again is an expensive exercise, and as we all know, nothing puts more strain on a life and relationship than serious lack of money. Well, except for a new born baby and sleepless nights perhaps!

The winter in Perth was a shocker, and it's a tad cold back in the UK at the moment, so you might as well make the most of some sun before you go!

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Rachel :biggrin:

Quite right, Rachel - it's the enormity of the "forever" word that can make staying here a nightmare. Whilst you think you have the freedom to leave if you want to and actually put a date on the going then it becomes much more liveable with. I can tell you the other thing that puts a strain on a relationship too - when one wants to move and the other refuses to budge.

Archived