Back in the uk.......already!

antandjack

Guest guest17301

You are in the right place Jackie, I hope you find strength through your family and friends and I wish you an uncomplicated and successful journey through your treatment. Please take the time to contact the Macmillan Cancer Service or any local support groups, it really helps to share the load with others going through the same thing. Best wishes and be positive, it counts for a lot. Maybe you can return to Australia following your treatment, x

Guest Hearne_Family

Hey, Just read your OP and I have to say what the other guys have...with an attitude like yours half the battle is won, if you can wear a smile when life is crap then you are an amazing person.

A new life in Oz pales into insignificance when it comes to issues of health, you are in the best place now with the best people around you, OZ and the rest of the world can wait, get yourself fit and well again and then see what your plans are, Im sure your perspective will change and you will want to experiance different things in life, whatever your dreams may be keep hold of them and fight every day to realise them.

Wishing you all the very best from the bottom of my heart, stay strong and stay safe.

Terry.

Dear Jackie

I am sorry to hear of your health issue my love and thoughts go out to you and yr family I am sure with your determination and the support of family you will do well. The Royal Marsden is a fantastic hospital and you are in good hands.

Remember to include the children (not sure how old they are)as much as possible as it is important for them to understand if you are upset or not well.

Wishin you all the best in your journey

love:hug: sue

Dear Jackie

I am sorry to hear of your health issue my love and thoughts go out to you and yr family I am sure with your determination and the support of family you will do well. The Royal Marsden is a fantastic hospital and you are in good hands.

Remember to include the children (not sure how old they are)as much as possible as it is important for them to understand if you are upset or not well.

Wishin you all the best in your journey

love:hug: sue

Hi Sue,

Our two are 7 and 4 so very young, we have given them a bit of info but the Marsden have a great book so we read that just before the treatment starts................your right the Marsden is a great hospital and i am very lucky to be under them.

Take care and happy new year to you

Jackie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone :biggrin:

What a busy month we've had tying to find rentals and schools christmas and hospital appointments.

We are now living close to where we were before we moved to Oz.

Christmas was great a real family time.

Now i'm preparing for my op on the 27th and getting very nervous :eek:

Blooming cold and all my winter clothes are making there way back from Oz, so coping with the bare essentials!

Lots of love to you all

Jackie x x x x

Guest Magnetic6

Wishing you so much love and best wishes:hug:

Of course you'll be nervous, my only advice as a nurse is ...talk! (but only when it suits you)

All our love

Natalie and family x x x

Wishing you so much love and best wishes:hug:

Of course you'll be nervous, my only advice as a nurse is ...talk! (but only when it suits you)

All our love

Natalie and family x x x

Thanks Natalie,

Your advice is spot on and i find talking to people helps me a lot, it's the times when i'm on my own that i struggle with to much time to think!! :sad:

lots of love x

Guest jason brickie

Oh!! So sorry to hear this! Life certainly isnt easy sometimes is it! We wish you all the luck in the world with your treatment. Having your family around you will be just the tonic you need. All the best for 2010.

Sarah Jason and girls x

Oh!! So sorry to hear this! Life certainly isnt easy sometimes is it! We wish you all the luck in the world with your treatment. Having your family around you will be just the tonic you need. All the best for 2010.

Sarah Jason and girls x

Hi Sarah,

Thank you very much, how are things with you.........any news?

Jackie x x

Guest jason brickie

Hi Jackie, no news I'm afraid. Cant believe how self pitying we were to ourselves, then when I read your thread this morning I was absolutley ashamed of myself! We have come to the conclusion that yes it would be nice to get to Oz but it is not going to stress us or the girls out anymore. Life is here and now not what might be, so we have put it to the back of our minds for now. Hope you are chilling out and getting spoiled, take care Sarah x

Guest endilwen

Jackie,

All the luck in the world to you. You are obviously a very strong person with a great family by your side, I sincerely hope all goes well for you and wish you all the best.

Life is here and now not what might be

Too true, and you have no idea how long it took me to learn this.

Hi Jackie, no news I'm afraid. Cant believe how self pitying we were to ourselves, then when I read your thread this morning I was absolutley ashamed of myself! We have come to the conclusion that yes it would be nice to get to Oz but it is not going to stress us or the girls out anymore. Life is here and now not what might be, so we have put it to the back of our minds for now. Hope you are chilling out and getting spoiled, take care Sarah x

Hey, when you put so much to get to OZ your allowed to have self pity. It is hard when you are in the waiting game and it feels like your life is in limbo.

So you are doing the best thing by not stressing about it anymore as it an effect you so much.

I am chilling out thanks.......but really should be doing the ironing!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Southern Cross
We've been back a week now so i'll start at the beginning...............................

We moved to Melbourne mid October we had a hard time to begin with, we struggled with our money getting lost and finding a rental etc.

Although we would have come home at four weeks due to being homesick but that is a normal feeling to have.

We started to settle down a bit was looking forward to 2010 and what we could do, we decided we were putting to much pressure on ourselves by looking at it as a life move so we were going to take it a year at a time, the kids were loving it so that helped.

But then I found a lump in my breast so went to the doctor and within a week i was diagonised with cancer it was such a huge blow to us all, I was informed that i needed a masestomey the rest of the information was a blur.

The hospital care was amazing but we knew with the op and then chemo that we needed to be where we had a support from friends and family so we decided to come back.

We arrived back last week.

It was a shock feeling the cold and having snow but it does feel like christmas, it was lovely seeing our family and friends. It was great to go back to Tesco's for all the traditional christmas bits........how sad!!!!!!

I know i've got a real fight next year and our dream of a new life has not worked out as planned but thats life........nothing is gauranteed.

So i'd like to say a big thanks to everyone we met in Oz, we were very blessed with the people we met and we miss you lots.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a good 2010

Jackie and Family x

Hi Jackie,

Firstly I hope that your op went ok and that you are feeling a little better.

I am in a similar position to you in several ways. I have Australian citizenship and passport and we had applied for Spouse Visa for OH last May.

At the beginning of June I was diagnosed with a brain tumour and just 2 days later OH's visa was granted. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound...

I know that had we been in Australia at the time we too would have come home to get the treatment I need.

I am also being treated at the Royal Marsden which has been absolutely fantastic to me. The care and treatment has been second to none. I recently found out that the tumour has not grown so do not need chemo at the moment, the steroids are being reduced and I dont have to go back for 3 months unless I feel ill or something happens.

I am sure that Australia has similar hospitals and treatment but as you say it is important to have family and friends around you. I send you love and lots of positive thoughts. Hopefully you will beat this disease and be ready to go back down under once you are well

Lou xxx

Hi Jackie,

Firstly I hope that your op went ok and that you are feeling a little better.

I am in a similar position to you in several ways. I have Australian citizenship and passport and we had applied for Spouse Visa for OH last May.

At the beginning of June I was diagnosed with a brain tumour and just 2 days later OH's visa was granted. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound...

I know that had we been in Australia at the time we too would have come home to get the treatment I need.

I am also being treated at the Royal Marsden which has been absolutely fantastic to me. The care and treatment has been second to none. I recently found out that the tumour has not grown so do not need chemo at the moment, the steroids are being reduced and I dont have to go back for 3 months unless I feel ill or something happens.

I am sure that Australia has similar hospitals and treatment but as you say it is important to have family and friends around you. I send you love and lots of positive thoughts. Hopefully you will beat this disease and be ready to go back down under once you are well

Lou xxx

Hi Lou

Wow................. it's the timing of it, just so unfair!

I'm so pleased for you that he tumour has not grown has it given you a different outlook on life?

Do you think you'll go back to Oz?

I wish you all the very best Lou and take care of yourself.

Jackie x x :hug:

Guest Southern Cross

Hi Jackie

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I now have a completely different outlook on life since being diagnosed. I am a teacher and always thought that staff meetings were meetings for meetings sake....now I can see that is true! Family life and friendships are more important than material possessions but when you are not ill, you don't always realise this as you are on the treadmill to earn money, have holidays etc.

I still want my holidays but because I have a weak leg at the moment (AND a DVT!) its not really possible but I will go away asap. OH is off to Australia of Friday but we decided that it was too long a journey for me at the moment. However, if after my 3 month check up I am still ok then I will look at going over at least for a holiday.

Hope the rest of your weekend goes well - at least the weather is better today - please feel free to pm me if you wish - we are only down the road from you in Horsham (Sussex)

Love Lou xx

Guest guest12791

Hi jackie just to say good luck with the treatment, thinking of you after reading and keeping up with the posts. I would also like to say good luck and best wishes to everyone who also has posted about their own personal illnesses, its shows that people do care and want to support each other even though we have differing opinions on this site. Once again thinking of you all

Annemarie x

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!!

Ok quick update.......... Had the op, very mixed feelings and emotions.

I've settled back into the UK and Oz seems a very distance memory now. The children are happy and doing so well back in school, Hubby is starting his own business and it's already taking off so thats great.

My best friend had a baby and seeing them in the flesh is great as i thought i'd only see them on skype.

I'm keeping busy, planning lots of fundraising for The royal marsden and i've signed up for the race for life all of this while having chemo:twitcy:

I start chemo tomorrow and have a wig fitting too:laugh: blonde down to my bum i think!

So the Oz dream is over, the Uk dream is beginning and i look forward to long holidays in Oz for years to come.

Lots of love to you all, and i love reading all the posts on the site.

Jackiex x x x

Please please please if you are a woman check your breasts x :cute:

Hello everyone!!

Ok quick update.......... Had the op, very mixed feelings and emotions.

I've settled back into the UK and Oz seems a very distance memory now. The children are happy and doing so well back in school, Hubby is starting his own business and it's already taking off so thats great.

My best friend had a baby and seeing them in the flesh is great as i thought i'd only see them on skype.

I'm keeping busy, planning lots of fundraising for The royal marsden and i've signed up for the race for life all of this while having chemo:twitcy:

I start chemo tomorrow and have a wig fitting too:laugh: blonde down to my bum i think!

So the Oz dream is over, the Uk dream is beginning and i look forward to long holidays in Oz for years to come.

Lots of love to you all, and i love reading all the posts on the site.

Jackiex x x x

Please please please if you are a woman check your breasts x :cute:

Hi Jackie,

I've just read this thread and wish you all the luck in the world for your chemo treatment. Let us know how you get on; we'll all be thinking of you and enjoy your UK dream. Spring is here and life is starting again!

Very best wishes to you and your family

Caroline x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi hun

Thoughts and prayers are with you as always. Tell Tony still playing phone tiggy, lol.

Good luck for tomorrow, love to the kids

Kate

Hi

Good luck to you brave ladies and best wishes to you.

Would just like to add that here in Queensland they start routinely screening for breast cancer from the age of 40 which I think is pretty good, not sure what it is in the UK.

Wendy

I feel for you all as cancer lives in my home, my daughter has brain cancer. She just had an MRI last week and it was clear so we are pleased, however the type she has she will never be in remission Its year six now since her tumour was removed They removed the whole tumour, then she had radiation treatment and then chemo therapy as they wanted to make sure there were no llittle bits around. Hers was an anaplastic astro cytoma and she was 24.

She has had about 30 plus mris now they watch all the time, make all her appointments and the care she gets is wonderful here in Aus. \

Its important not to be frightened of the C word its just a word. Also do not be scared of the treatment here its ace.

My daughter was operated 48 hours after admission to emergency department.

I feel for you all as cancer lives in my home, my daughter has brain cancer. She just had an MRI last week and it was clear so we are pleased, however the type she has she will never be in remission Its year six now since her tumour was removed They removed the whole tumour, then she had radiation treatment and then chemo therapy as they wanted to make sure there were no llittle bits around. Hers was an anaplastic astro cytoma and she was 24.

She has had about 30 plus mris now they watch all the time, make all her appointments and the care she gets is wonderful here in Aus. \

Its important not to be frightened of the C word its just a word. Also do not be scared of the treatment here its ace.

My daughter was operated 48 hours after admission to emergency department.

She sounds a very brave young girl.

The treatment i recieved in Oz was world class and we were so happy with the way i was dealt with and the care here in the UK has been amazing too and for this i'm so grateful.

Not enjoying the chemo but i know it's something i need to have so i keep smiling:laugh:

Take care x x x x

Archived