Timeline of Events for 175/176- Accountant

Guest figone

So, here's my plan. Hopefully someone who's an accountant (or in the financial field) can let me know if this is a good "plan of attack". I do welcome suggestions from everyone, though.

1. Take IELTS exam
  2. Have ICAA complete skills assesment
  3. Obtain VIC SS
  4. Lodge application

Does this sound like a proper itemization of events? Should I change the order around?

Ideally, I'd like to move to Melbourne for PR. I plan on applying for VIC SS to speed up the app process.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

So, here's my plan. Hopefully someone who's an accountant (or in the financial field) can let me know if this is a good "plan of attack". I do welcome suggestions from everyone, though.

1. Take IELTS exam

2. Have ICAA complete skills assesment

3. Obtain VIC SS

4. Lodge application

Does this sound like a proper itemization of events? Should I change the order around?

Ideally, I'd like to move to Melbourne for PR. I plan on applying for VIC SS to speed up the app process.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

It seems a reasonable plan. I have just two comments:

FIrst one is that you don't actually have to do 2 after 1 though, you could start to organise these simultaneously.

I would also question the need for state sponsorship, do you only have 100 points? If you have 120 then it won't make a lot of difference to timings, a matter of weeks I would say. If you really do want to get the SS, then you can always put in for the 175 first to get into the queue and change it to 176 when sponsorship comes through. Waiting for it before lodging the main visa application may well mean an even longer overall process, I have seen some people wait 3 or 4 months for state sponsorship (not sure which state).

I am an accountant like yourself, I did not get SS and my whole process from beginning to end was just over 7 months.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response. I was just thinking of the SS to speed things up a bit. I'll have well over 120 points, so I'll just plan on the 175.

Thanks again.

Hello Figone

I am also an Accountant 175 applied on 21/10/2009 and waiting for a CO............. I would suggest that you apply for your sklls assessment asap. This will normally take upto 8 weeks and while this is happening sit your IELTS exam and get all the paperwork ready to submit on reciept of your skill assessment.

As regards state sponsonship, if you have the required points then no real need to apply for SS, as you will be on the prioity processing anyway. SS can take 12 weeks by which time you may have a CO regardless. Having looked at various timelines they are current processing 175 applications for Sept 2009 so SS does not make sense.

Hope this helps

Regards

Balman

I am also an Accountant 175 applied on 21/10/2009 and waiting for a CO............. I would suggest that you apply for your sklls assessment asap. This will normally take upto 8 weeks and while this is happening sit your IELTS exam and get all the paperwork ready to submit on reciept of your skill assessment.

It does not take anything like 8 weeks for ICAA skills assessment, mine took 2. Their published turn around times are 1 to 4 weeks and fast tracking can ensure the speediest processing.

It is of course a good idea to do IELTS and get all the other paperwork, employer references etc organised asap.

Guest smithsinoz

It is worth BOOKING the IELTS test as soon as possible. Depending where you are this can be booked up a few weeks in advance (my experience). My ICAA assessment also took only 2 weeks.

Hi,

I would also agree you book up for the IELTS soon, as I got my ICAA skills assessment result 2 weeks from them receiving it, but couldnt get availability anywhere near me for the IELTS for ages, and ended up going down to Brighton get it done the quickest, which was a 6 week wait from when I booked.

My agent advised lodging the 175 asap, and getting the IELTS in later when received. This was good advice, as it ensured that I was allocated a CO at the same time as other applicants from start of May rather than when I uploaded the IELTS result.

Good luck,

Shaz

Got it. Thanks to all for your responses.

Just a few questions regarding ICAA. Did all of you really have to submit official/stamped/approved course CV with your diplomas and uni transcripts? I doubt my uni archives any of that stuff...

Also, did anyone take the academic IELTS exam? Am I o.k. with the general exam?

Just a few questions regarding ICAA. Did all of you really have to submit official/stamped/approved course CV with your diplomas and uni transcripts? I doubt my uni archives any of that stuff...

Yes you do have to submit that stuff, plus an original letter of good standing from your accountancy body.

The general IELTS is fine.

Guest roadrunner223

Hi, this is a little off topic.

My WA SS application is with DIAC and I am waiting on a CO. I hope to be off to Perth by Feb 2010. I have started to think about job hunting.

I'm qualified a couple of years and have both a management and financial accounts background. I have no exposure to Australian GAAP, or any Australian taxes(corporation, payroll, VAT, ect)

If I am looking for a job in Perth where there isn't much in the way of financial services, is the best I can hope for an accounts assistant or even a book keeper role?

I was wondering if you guys know(realistically) what the jobmarket is like over there, if you plan on taking any courses and if you plan on joining any of the local accountancy bodies?

thks

Yes you do have to submit that stuff, plus an original letter of good standing from your accountancy body.

The general IELTS is fine.

Another question... I'm not part of an accounting body/organization. Really, I work in financial planning and analysis with the obvious accounting functions.

Has anyone passed the skills assessment without a membership? Also, do I need to be "certified" in accounting or is a bachelor's degree in Business Economics and three years work experience as a financial analyst sufficient?

TIA.

I have heard of people passing the skills assessment without being a member of an accountancy body. They have had accounting degrees though. I am honestly not sure about business degrees. I recommend contacting the skills assessors first (or waiting to seeif anyone more helpful than me comes along :embarrassed:).

As well as ICAA there is also CPA and NIA to consider.

Your work experience sounds reasonable thought once you are over the skills assessment hurdle, many accountants are in FP&A and financial analysis.

Hey Pumpkin- Did you have your skills assessed before you lodged you app with DIAC? Should I start the app and then take care of the IELTS and ICAA stuff afterwards?

I had my degree certificate, and transcript. I got those certifed however, couldnt find my original course syllabus guide which has the detail behind each module. I emailed the accountancy dept at the uni, and they printed each module descriptor off on headed paper, and then stamped each page with the uni stamp for me. Also, as 2 modules were no longer being run, they typed a letter to confirm that the module no's I did were equivalent to the new module no descriptor that they provided. They were very helpful actually. I am sure you'll get something from them. My degree was completed 10 years ago and I still that.

I am ACCA p/q so didnt provide a letter of good standing, as my uni degree was enough to pass the skills assessment. My degree covered the requirements. I would say check the ICAA website as I'm not sure about a business degree. There's about 12 core competencies, and you've got to prove that you've covered about 9 out of the 12, and luckily as I chose a maths option in 1st year, I made it.

You'd have to get a positive skills assessment before going lodging anything.

Cheers

Shaz

QUOTE]

If you are in the ICAEW they won't issue you with a letter of good standing. If you ask for one they send you a letter back saying it is too non-specific. You have to ask for a letter confirming your membership length and disciplinary record. Pedantic I know but that's what they are doing with our fees!

You also need to plan in that it actually takes longer to get anything back from the ICAEW than it does from the Australian Institute. The ICAA is relaly efficient but the ICAEW is really slow and archaic. Hmm, maybe another reason to leave.......

Terry

Hey Pumpkin- Did you have your skills assessed before you lodged you app with DIAC? Should I start the app and then take care of the IELTS and ICAA stuff afterwards?

It is essential to have the skills assessment before lodging the main visa application. DO NOT lodge without it.

On the other hand it is perfectly OK to add your IELTS in afterwards, so long as you hold a passport from n English speaking country, which I assume you do. I lodged my visa application in May and added my IELTS result in Sepember.

Archived