Adapting UK CV to Aussie friendly style

shaunkaren

OH is in process of sending off CV for jobs for January and he has found some sites that 'no elaborate CV's' please. His is currently 6 pages due to the number of contracts he has done over the past 15 years. Is that too long? Is there a different style adopted in Australia?

Any helpful hints gratefully accepted!!

Karen x

Guest wanderer

I really think six pages is a bit too much and to be honest, any employer looking to get good value out of a new employee quick time is really wanting to see detail on just last job or two over a few years at most.

The rest like qualifications and previous work can be dot point one liners re position/duties in chrono order.

A good CV in my book would be face page with personal details - Name, DOB, Marital/dependants, with key Qualification title & work experience attuned to position being applied for.

Second page - more detail re Qualifications and the chrono list of work.

Have a look at www.seek.com.au and www.careerone.com.au as either or both have CV samples and even with theirs, if people are asking for brief nonelaborate you may want to trim it.

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

Six pages does seem a bit excessive, A lot of employers like a covering letter with the CV just giving your basics, then they can go on to read the CV if they think it is worth considering.

Hi,

Six pages does seem a bit excessive, A lot of employers like a covering letter with the CV just giving your basics, then they can go on to read the CV if they think it is worth considering.

I agree. MY stepson works for Microsoft in Sydney and he told me that anything over 3 pages long does not even get looked at by most employers as there are usually so many applicants and they don't have the time to read pages and pages of resume.

Monica x

Thanks one and all for your helpful comments! The reason his is so long is that he does short/medium term contracts, sorting out references for the ACS was not amusing at the time of preparing his RPL - thus ten years history turns into 6 pages!! I will pass on to him that the websites have samples and he can go from there.

Kind Regards

Karen

Guest Indi and Dave

Hi Guys,

Best advice is to get hold of the book: Australian resumes for dummies, Wiley, ISBN 978 1 740 31091 8. Covers it all. worked for me. I took my 9 page Chronological professional CV and converted it to a 6 page functional-chronological one and got 3 interviews first day out, out of 3 submissions.

Go for either the 4 page standard chronological version with a first page details and quals etc and follow up with experiience: ESPECIALLY AUSTRALIAN EXPERIENCE or a 2 page sales pitch, telling them in black and white what you can do for them with 3-4 pages of work experience as evidence if they want to read it - which they won't, unless the first two pages make the sale.

All work experience should list achievements and if possible how you made employer your some cash or improved the bottom line.

Have fun.

Guest Guest31881
Thanks for that advice again - so much easier to get info from those in the know! His CV can't be too bad, he has just phoned to say he has a telephone interview on Monday!!

Karen

Thats great news..... Good luck

Archived