Taking our dog to uk help needed

Guest beneboy

Guest beneboy

Hello everyone, I have been looking at this site for a long time now and think this is a great forum for all making this big move to Oz. I have read so many people's stories and think it is really helpful. This is my dilemma.

I am moving back to the UK with my family in Jan/Feb after being here for 11 months and am taking our 7 month old english staffy pup with us. We said that when we brought him we would not leave him behind as we had to re-home two dogs because of the expense coming over here. That broke our hearts. So if anyone can recommend a kennel they used, nearby Bedfordshire which is where we will be returning, I could really do with the help. We are also selling some other electrical applicances, so if anyone is interested in a good deal, please let me know, I will post the items for sale as I haven't done the list yet!!

For all you dog lovers out there I hope someone can help. Thanks.

have you started the PET passport process as this can save you heaps of money when you return as quarantine sure adds up as we paid £2000 for 3 months quarantine (hubbie still shocked and its his dog!!!). We started the process for our dogs passport as soon as we made the HUGE decision to return to the UK but came home quicker than planned as once the decision was made we were eager to return so she had to spend 3 months in quarantine rather than 6 months. They start counting down from the day of the blood results and they have to have had the rabies jab for 6 months 1 day.

Our dog spent time in North Yorkshire Quarantine station and they were great and she seemed really happy there and visiting times were flexible. Not sure how far a drive that would be from Bedfordshire though?!?! But would highly recommend this quarantine station but I'm sure they are all of a very high standard.

We used Petcarriers based in Queensland to get our dog back from WA they were really helpful but you have to do the paperwork side of things yourself eg: applying for permission for the dog to be allowed into Britain and I would do this as quickly as possible as the permission took a few weeks to come through. They arranged for her to be picked up from our home and taken to the airport which made it a far less stressful event for us. You have to use a carrier firm now to book the flights as they changed the rules last year apparently but may be worth double checking.

Good luck and we've been back since August and don't regret the decision to come back to the UK. The dog is just as happy here and has settled fine even though the weather is cold it doesn't seem to bother her one bit!!!!

Sarah

When we suspected we would come home we had lilly jabbed, from then on we stay in Aus for he arrived the next 6 months.

She flew from Qld stop over in singapore (did some shopping)

then arrived at Heathrow a free dog and we just picked her up a couple of hours after the plane landed.

Can't remember the carrier but can find out if you need.

John

We're going back to the uk on 20th Dec and we are in the procees of arranging for our dog to follow us. We decided back in October that we were going to return and Archie had his rabies jab. Three weeks after this he had his blood test and from that date he has to wait 6 months until he can come to live with us again. I looked into quarantine kennels, but in the end decided that we would leave him here with a foster carer until he can fly on 14th May. It works out cheaper, but that's not the main reason for doing it this way. I think he'll be happier in a family home, with other dogs and the person I have chosen is an experienced foster carer who came by personal recommendation. The pet transport company will collect him from her home a couple of days before he flies.

When I was looking at quarantine I think the closest to us (Norfolk) was in Cambs, otherwise I think it was London, although I don't suppose I researched it all that thoroughly!

Guest beneboy

Thanks for all your replies guys it's so nice to have people's advice. We will be using Dogtainers and are looking to return at the end of January hopefully. Don't want to stay for another 6 months.

I think the idea of using a foster carer for the dog is a great idea. Do you know of anyone here in Brisbane. Just a thought as this could be an option for us too. I don't know of any here although I haven't looked into it.

Also we are going to be selling some goods to re-coup some money we have paid out for stuff as we can't take it back with us. if anyone is interested I will post the list of items on here.

Beneboy

Thanks for all your replies guys it's so nice to have people's advice. We will be using Dogtainers and are looking to return at the end of January hopefully. Don't want to stay for another 6 months.

I think the idea of using a foster carer for the dog is a great idea. Do you know of anyone here in Brisbane. Just a thought as this could be an option for us too. I don't know of any here although I haven't looked into it.

Also we are going to be selling some goods to re-coup some money we have paid out for stuff as we can't take it back with us. if anyone is interested I will post the list of items on here.

Beneboy

We found ours via Archie's 'hairdresser', but most of the rescue centres use foster carers for their animals. It could be worth getting iin touch with one of them, or the local vets (lots of nurses!), or a groomer. I've noticed that the doggie world is quite extensive and everyone seems to know everyone else, so I'm sure you'd find someone you can trust. I have bought enough food, Advantix etc etc to last until Archie can fly and we are in the process of organising how we'll pay any vet bills. Here in NSW the dogs have to be registered with the local council, so we will have to re register him with the carers address. There's a lot to think about and in some ways it would have been easier for him to board with the transport people, or go into quarantine, but it is much less expensive and I know he'll be happier with a family.

Good luck

Beneboy

Dogtainer" thats who we used. not bad but arrived a week late.

Guest HappyTravels

I also have a dog, a little cavalier that I know I will fly to England at some point. He has his rabies vaccine but cant fly until May. It actually took a month to organise the rabies vaccine - my vet had to apply to some government department before they could order the vaccine.

In hindsight I should have gone to an experienced vet in Perth as my regional local vet had to use a proxy vet in Peth in order to administer the vaccination as they are not approved by the English people. I am still a bit nervous about it - and although I saved a few LONG drives its NOT worth the worry, although my vet does insist they have done this before . . .

I also have a friend to look after him. I will probably go back in January for a month, and then decide if its possible for me to stay in England and get a job, or if I will return. Everything is pretty up in the air for me!

My main point really is to make sure you choose an experienced vet or vet practise! In fact the vaccination lasts for I think 2 or 3 years and boosters can be given, so if anyone has a dog they know they will return to England with I would seriously advice them to vaccinate asap.

The REALLY cazy thing is THERE IS NO RABIES IN AUSTRALIA!!!

Guest beneboy

Hi Happy Travels, I have been lucky with the vet here in Brissie, the agency gave us the info for the registered vet which was only 20 mins down the road. I wish I had got the vaccine done earlier but like you everything is up in the air!!

I hope you have luck in the UK with looking for a job, we haven't got jobs to go back to straight away but it's pretty much the same here searching for work.

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with everything.

Guest HappyTravels

I have also seen this bedding called a "vet bed" that I think would be the perfect bedding in the crate. Its designed to be soft and comfortable, but if the dog wees (which I hope he will in the 24hrs or so he will be in the crate) the wee is drawn down to the bottom of the material and the top stays dry. Its normally used for convalescing animals.

I have seen if for sale in English websites, but not at my pet shops here, so it maybe something I send over. Its not expensive - I think 10 pounds.

I am taking 3 dogs and a cat back to UK - I have been here 14 years - to take a pet back you can do the AQIS thing - it takes around 7 months - google AQIS that will explain procedure - otherwise they have to stay in quanrantine for 6 months! Mine are going back in Feb - I'd rather cut my arm off than leave my animals behind....

When we suspected we would come home we had lilly jabbed, from then on we stay in Aus for he arrived the next 6 months.

She flew from Qld stop over in singapore (did some shopping)

then arrived at Heathrow a free dog and we just picked her up a couple of hours after the plane landed.

Can't remember the carrier but can find out if you need.

John

That's just answered a nagging question - my 3 dogs and cat are coming home with me in Feb - we are flying into Heathrow 'cos that is where processing takes place - I am not booking transfer to Manchester until I know how long Ihave to hang around Heathrow until pets are processed... they will have cleared the pet's passport thing - i wil wait for them no matter how long I have to sit in a plastic chair reading a mag -

I also have a dog, a little cavalier that I know I will fly to England at some point. He has his rabies vaccine but cant fly until May. It actually took a month to organise the rabies vaccine - my vet had to apply to some government department before they could order the vaccine.

In hindsight I should have gone to an experienced vet in Perth as my regional local vet had to use a proxy vet in Peth in order to administer the vaccination as they are not approved by the English people. I am still a bit nervous about it - and although I saved a few LONG drives its NOT worth the worry, although my vet does insist they have done this before . . .

I also have a friend to look after him. I will probably go back in January for a month, and then decide if its possible for me to stay in England and get a job, or if I will return. Everything is pretty up in the air for me!

My main point really is to make sure you choose an experienced vet or vet practise! In fact the vaccination lasts for I think 2 or 3 years and boosters can be given, so if anyone has a dog they know they will return to England with I would seriously advice them to vaccinate asap.

The REALLY cazy thing is THERE IS NO RABIES IN AUSTRALIA!!!

Yes - think it might be a bit political - apparently not the same mucking around in US either - bloody stupid - wish they had same approach with homo sapien transporation too.....

That's just answered a nagging question - my 3 dogs and cat are coming home with me in Feb - we are flying into Heathrow 'cos that is where processing takes place - I am not booking transfer to Manchester until I know how long Ihave to hang around Heathrow until pets are processed... they will have cleared the pet's passport thing - i wil wait for them no matter how long I have to sit in a plastic chair reading a mag -

They ahd a comfy leather sofa and a TV so you'll be ok. Andrea only said tonight if we could not have brought Lilly home we would have stayed in Aus. (horrible thought)

Good luck John

• 4 weeks later...

hi

we are in pretty much same position you were in regarding our dog, only difference is he is a lot older, just turned ten. we had the rabies jab as soon as we had decided we were going back to england but his anti bodies were too low so he failed his blood test. he has had another jab and had his blood test last week so we are waiting for results. this means that he will now have to spend at least 4 months in quarantine and i have been madly scouring the internet for reccomendations. i think it will be much too far the one that you used, but how was your dog during his time there?? did he seem happy?? i am just so worried about him even though he is a lab and takes everything in his stride. i just want to be told he will be fine.thanks for any info.

hi

we are in pretty much same position you were in regarding our dog, only difference is he is a lot older, just turned ten. we had the rabies jab as soon as we had decided we were going back to england but his anti bodies were too low so he failed his blood test. he has had another jab and had his blood test last week so we are waiting for results. this means that he will now have to spend at least 4 months in quarantine and i have been madly scouring the internet for reccomendations. i think it will be much too far the one that you used, but how was your dog during his time there?? did he seem happy?? i am just so worried about him even though he is a lab and takes everything in his stride. i just want to be told he will be fine.thanks for any info.

Hello Sue

Lilly Stayed in Kennals in Qld for about 3 weeks (Could not relaxe till we got her back). But she seemd unfazzed by it all. We sort prepaired her for it by going to Tassie on a boat (she in a gadge) and little stints in Kennals why we traveld Aus.

But in the end she took it in her stride.

I hope all goes well for you and your dog.

JohnX

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cath donn

Good lock with your doggie travels, I am leaving Oz in July and the dog is going home to uk too. I am using dogtainers to I thought they really seemed to know what they are doing and also cared about your pet.

Let me please know how it goes. All the best

hi

Our dog is 11 and she had to spend 3 months in quarantine in Yorkshire, we were allowed to visit as much as we wanted to which was great, and she coped really well and everytime we visited she was as happy as larry and seemed to take it all in her stride. Think it was us as the owners who suffered more than her to be honest as found it a difficult decision to make but she's been home now since Nov and feels like we were never away from each other. (see earlier post)

Guest sarebear

Hi, i'm also looking for the same thing. I noticed that you said you had booked a place at Derbyshire, which is the place i am enquiring about at the moment. Have you changed your mind about that?

can anyone reccomend good quarantine kennels in uk?????

no, i have booked my dog in quarantine there as after all my hours of researching it really does sound like the best one to me, i think i am just looking for people who have already used the kennels and done the quarantine thing just to try and reassure me!! think im just feeling guilty for putting my dog through it so hearing from people who have already done it helps.definately using the one at derbyshire though in march, owners seem really nice too.

Guest sarebear

I agree, from what i've seen on their website & having spoken to the owners, it does seem a nice place. They didn't have any space for my dog until 10th May, so i'll have to stay here until then. The Nottingham kennels would have been closer for me, but i didn't like the look of that place so much. It's such a worry isn't it! I feel so guilty putting him through it again. I wish you the best of luck with your plans.

thankyou. yes we had quite a job getting in there in march but it all seems to be working out, i would have been devastated if they could not have fitted him in..we will be back mid march so once we have the internet up and running i will come on poms in oz and let you know how its going. probably see you at visiting time in may!! good luck with everything, think we are almost sorted now.

Archived