Can we talk about Mornington again please?

Guest Debs64

Guest Debs64

Hi you guys in and around Mornington

We hope to be over in August/September depending on how the house sale goes. So tracking house rentals etc on the net at the moment. We have two girls age 12 and 14 so using school as a focus for choosing an area really (can't afford private).

Anyway, after our reccie we have decided on Frankston South to settle (specifically the Frankston High zone), we get a good feel about the school and it's reputation, would like to be near the ocean, the eldest likes the idea of being close to the shopping centre and we felt it was an area where the kids could get about independently to some degree as they are getting older.

However - still drawn to Mornington. We loved what we saw when we were there but worried that it was perhaps too far out, maybe less to do for young teenagers, we know nothing about the schools other than what we've read and felt houses probably out of our price range. So now wishing I could whizz back for another look! On hindsight we didn't explore Mornington / Mount Eliza / Mount Martha enough so would anyone be happy to fill in some of the gaps for us please? Any info on the secondary schools, activities for teenagers, housing areas please ...??

We are very lucky to be staying with friends in Narre Warren when we first come over but I will be very anxious to find a rental quickly so we can get the girls into school.

I think if it was just Mick & I we would jump at Mornington (... or Berwick !!) but to make this work it has to be just the right area for a 12 and 14 year old too and Frankston South seemed to fit the bill. Can you help?

Thank you very very much in advance for any responses, I'm sure these requests must bore you to tears after a while!!

best wishes all (and apologies for rambling!)

Guest jonseywife

Hi Debs

We're heading for Frankston South too, for exactly the same reasons you mentioned!!!! Even gonna send the kids the Frankston High, its one of the best state schools in Victoria, ive been told!!!!!!(girl of 12, son of 14 to Frankston High and younger one who's 10 to primary and 16 year old to TAFE college there too) ..........

Mornington is lovely apparently, but maybe too far away from it all for my teenage boys! We are hoping to be out October time (fingers crossed) and were staying in Mornington for the first few weeks, fo a holiday before all the hard work begins (house hunting, job searching etc., etc.,) so if all the family prefer Mornington, then we will settle there.... I dont think its very far from Frankston South anyway!!!

Im sure Lesley, will put you right... she's out there and loving it!!!!!

Keep in touch, our girls will probably be in school together ................. Take care

Sally-ann x

Guest THE JONEZYS

Frankston South is about 15 mins' away from Mornington, infact we have been there this morning to watch Charlie play football.....BTW.....his team won 9-0 again and Chaz scored another hat trick!!

Your right about the high school, it is one of the best state schools in Victoria. The problem is, you have to live in "The Zone" to get your kids in and we decided this area just wasn't for us.

Frankston South is a nice resedential area with some houses with bay views priced at well over a million. Bayside shopping center is ok but not as good as what we are used to in the UK, it has nothing on Lakeside or Bluewater.

Well, here goes, I don't mean to offend anyone living in Frankston thats reading this but parts of it are rough. I have seen drug dealing taking place openly outside Bayside shopping center and my 18yo tells me he has been approached many times by dealers when he pops over there at lunch time from college. He also says that it often kicks off in the pubs and clubs in the area at night!! All of this made us decide that it was a bit too much like what we were trying to get away from in England.

My family and myself were all born on the Essex/East London borders and the boys have had the "delights" of Romford, Basildon and the west end on there doorstep so when we got here I worried that they would find it too quiet. In fact Lou loves Morningtons Main street and all the pubs and clubs it has to offer as well as the wine bars and restaurants and so do we. I dont worry about him when he's out and about like I did in England. I'm not saying that drug dealing and the like dont go on around here as I am sure it does but its not something that I have seen blatantly done on Main st'.

My OH is a brickie and works all over the place and did have his reservations about living so far out at first but he puts up with the traffic coz he loves where we live.

Everyone is looking for different things when they come here so you really have to come and live/see it for yourself. Mornington/Mt Martha was the right choice for us but might not be everyones cup of tea.

Well, hope I haven't offended anyone. Good luck to you all.

Lesley.

PS......They do get frost here in winter I have been told they had about 10 frosty mornings last winter, can you imagine, only 10 lol

• 1 year later...
Guest Amberjade78

Hi Deb & Mick, not really what you are asking for, but looked at Mornington, Mt Martha and Mt Eliza on a reccie in November last year. We are hoping to be out there by this time next year - we loved the area! Are you already out there? We have little kids, so in a different situation to you regarding schools, but obviously need to consider childcare, as I have to work full-time due to visa conditions. Probably be working on the Peninsula, maybe in Frankston itself (hopefully not as far as the CBD, I think the Mornington area will be TOO far to travel!) I know somebody who is relocating to Frankston, I think for the school, but they have never been. Take care, Emma x

I have lived in the area for 20 years and have no problem with Frankston or Mornington. My children grew up around here and my daughter usually hangs out over in Mornington at night and has lots of friends in the area.

Frankston South is very nice but quite pricey if you actually mean Frankston South, there are other areas that purport to be Frankston South but are not and you would have to be careful with the zone as if you cross the Moorooduc Road I believey your children would be in the Mount Erin High School Catchment.

I live on the Westernport side of the Peninsula which we love and we have the train so it was easier for our children to get around in the years before they got their licences. We live in Somerville which is on the level with Mornington but closer to the freeway because of the direction f the roads.

My children went to private school but I do know plenty of their friends that did not and my friends children who went to Mornington High and in fact my friends triplets have just left Mornington High and they are all doing what they want to do for careers.

My daughter is musical and can play violin and piano and was in the Peninsula Youth Orchestra for quite a few years and that was very good for her. She also played tennis. My son played and still plays and coaches Baseball, also plays Cricket, Golf and I believe the best way for children to integrate and meet like minded people is to get into after school activities. I never had a problem with drugs or anything.

Frankston is a place to see druggies but my Mum lived near TAFE for many many years and never had a problem with anybody around there. Its a transit zone so people get the train to Centrelink in Frankston, there is a needle exchange and methadone is provided by some of the chemists. It is no different from any other large area where people come together from outside areas. I have never seen drug dealing may be I am blind in the 20 years I have lived and shopped in Frankston. I have seen it in Dandenong though where I worked.

Karingal North Frankston and the Pines are areas with a lower socio economic group not all though some people have lived in these areas all their lives and love it. People have to live somewhere.

I have had some doozeys of neighbours over the years and we live on acreage with larger houses so you cannot pick them and bad people/bad neighbours come from all walks of life.

Good luck I hope you will be very happy with what you decide.

Have a look on the Google Street scape and see areas you did not get to look at.

It does get cold in Mornington in winter because the westerly blows over and we get it too and as I live on a hill we are in a high wind area.

Love it here.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi you guys in and around Mornington

We hope to be over in August/September depending on how the house sale goes. So tracking house rentals etc on the net at the moment. We have two girls age 12 and 14 so using school as a focus for choosing an area really (can't afford private).

Anyway, after our reccie we have decided on Frankston South to settle (specifically the Frankston High zone), we get a good feel about the school and it's reputation, would like to be near the ocean, the eldest likes the idea of being close to the shopping centre and we felt it was an area where the kids could get about independently to some degree as they are getting older.

However - still drawn to Mornington. We loved what we saw when we were there but worried that it was perhaps too far out, maybe less to do for young teenagers, we know nothing about the schools other than what we've read and felt houses probably out of our price range. So now wishing I could whizz back for another look! On hindsight we didn't explore Mornington / Mount Eliza / Mount Martha enough so would anyone be happy to fill in some of the gaps for us please? Any info on the secondary schools, activities for teenagers, housing areas please ...??

We are very lucky to be staying with friends in Narre Warren when we first come over but I will be very anxious to find a rental quickly so we can get the girls into school.

I think if it was just Mick & I we would jump at Mornington (... or Berwick !!) but to make this work it has to be just the right area for a 12 and 14 year old too and Frankston South seemed to fit the bill. Can you help?

Thank you very very much in advance for any responses, I'm sure these requests must bore you to tears after a while!!

best wishes all (and apologies for rambling!)

hi debs

we have just returned from our reccie in the peninsula area. we had a good look round the schools for our 14 year old boy.

we weren't keen on mt eliza - seemed a bit scruffy and lacking in facilities

mornington had a good feel to it - well organised and decent results, pool and basketball hall(brand new), loads of art - no zoning which is good. the principal was deputy at frankston high. caters well for both academic and non academic. year syllabus begins in november 08

frankston high wouldn't even let us take a look. you have to show proof that you are residing in the area by providing a utility bill or your lease agreement. the principal that turned the school around has now left. you can appeal if you live outside the area - too much like uk system to me

you can pm me if you want any further details

also looked a bit further afield and at haileybury ( which is fantastic if you want to take out a mortgage to pay the fees)!

nothing against frankston - but it made me feel right at home with it's socio-economic problems. accosted by a drunk and a mentally unstable character on our way into melbourne -just like birmingham!

cath

Guest hazel and dave

We'vejust bought a house in Langwarrin. It is about 10mins drive inland of Frankston and is really nice. There are some areas that are a bit more run down, but on the whole it is a green leafy and open place. We loved it. There are pretty good bus links and you can avoid Frankston CBD as there are shopping centres locally. We have read reports that the vic gov have pumped alot of cash into the Frankston area and it is targetted for furhter investment. A good area to buy now maybe? There is also talk of extending the freeway around Frankston which would signoficantly reduce journey times to the city. Lots of positives?? good luck with your decision.

Dear Deb and Mick

We have a rental in McCrae, if you're interested. The property is about 600m from McCrae beach on the Mornington Peninsula. McCrae is about 30 minutes from Frankston on the freeway and very close to shopping centre etc.

If you want me to send pictures and rates please let me know.

Regards

Andrew

labylart@impaq.com.au

Have to say Mornington has its socio economic problems just like Frankston and once the children get up and attend the clubs on the Main Street I have it on good authority that there is a lot of violence around. Authority is my daughter who goes to these Clubs.

Frankston is a transit centre and therefore there are a lot of facilities for the surrounding areas, the hospital, large centrelink office, needle exchange ext all the things one would expect for a city of over 100,000 people. So you cannot judge it by the trains or the inner parts.

The run down parts people talk about are houses that are about 20-30 years old but usually in very good position and have larger blocks than the new property. Also lots of trees and tend to be closer to things.

The trains are a problem at night as most stations do not have anyone there and I prefer my family not to use the trains at night.

Paterson Lakes is a nice area but very very windy, I used to live at Edithvale and when the north wind blew it blew and Paterson Lakes gets that wind also its near the South Eastern Purfication Plant which comes right up to the freeway and can be a bit on the nose sometimes. Gathercoles abatoir is also closeby and its a bit on the nose sometimes, its next to the freeway.

Langwarrin is a nice area there are a lot of large acreage blocks in Langwarrin also the Pindarra Estate but you are not allowed to have cats in Pindarra.

We have covenants that run with title here in Aus and you need to check to see if any property you are interested in has one. They can say no cats, no front fence, no steel roof, must be a brick house, must have a brick garage, no pipes to be seen, no caravans or trucks to be parked where people can see them, no fixing the car in your driveway, these are some of the restrictions I came accross in my work.

Archived