Current Job situation in Scotland?

Rodfan

Hi,

Not returned to Scotland, but currently living in Scotland. What area of work are you in, and where are you looking to live, and I may be able to give an idea of the job situation?

Regards

Shaz

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, Lived just outside Edinburgh. Gas Engineer/Plumber and Childcare Worker. Do you think the tide is turning with regard to the recession?

Hi,

I cant speak for your particular occupations, but normally they're not ones that are generally out of work. I do know that there are more positions being advertised generally and it doesnt seem as bad as it was last year. I know a fair few people who were made redundant last year, but most of those people have found work recently. I think as long as you're prepared to travel, you'll find something. I know people from Glasgow taking jobs in Edinburgh and vice versa.

Good luck, when are you planning on coming back? Its -3 degrees today!!

Shaz

Guest treesea

We live in Edinburgh. The Scottish government is in the process of investing £1.5 billion in affordable housing, so there probably will be ongoing work for plumbers and gas/heating engineers. Childcare work should be okay too. It's not that well paid though, but it's the usual thing - if you have experience, and local, Scottish expereince, then it will be easier to get a job.

It's the usual thing - the Scottish population is expanding at a rate of knots and has been for a few years now, but local Scots get the jobs ahead of the immigrants. While this doesn't really affect those of us who are English, because by and large we come to start a business or are transferred with our work, I would have thought returning Scots would do quite well in the jobs market.

I'm not sure how long you have been away, but rebuilding seems to be going on at a real pace here. Just in the five years we have been here, housing has been pulled down in Oxgangs, Sighhthill, Gracemount and Muirhouse. Renovating public housing doesn't seem to be the way forward up here - it's pull it all down and start again. Those tower blocks that were just demolished in Gracemount, which I had been inside, didn't seem, through my English (jaded?) eyes to have anything wrong with them. Yet they are now rebuilding on that site.

There must be housing related work in the Lothians - there's 30,000 Poles living here. This isn't like in England - employers up here would employ qualified, experienced Scots if only they could get them.

The demand for good childcare in Edinburgh is huge, and growing. Council run nurseries have long waiting lists. One of the families we know from school - their mother looks after two children during the week. It seems to be reasonably well paid. She's registered - everyone has to register these days through Disclosure Scotland to do that sort of work - and the parents of the children get subsidised childcare because they are working.

Archived