Pass driving test in UK or OZ

General67

Guest Glasfor
I have a son who has turned 17 and was wondering whether to get him through his driving test while we are in the UK or to leave it until we get to Perth ?? Any info would be welcome on driving in oz.:confused:

I would say try and get him passed before you get here. I failed my test just before we came over and now have to start all over. Here you have to get your learners permit which is like sitting your theory then once you pass your test you still cant drive unsupervised for 6 months. You also have to have P plates over here. Not sure where you would stand on transfering the licence if he passes tho? It may end up that you have to be driving for so many years before you can just transfer it?

Ooh - this could start a good debate!!!

I'm in Sydney but would defo say for him to try to get it done in UK and for him to get as much driving experience in before you come out.

The driving in Oz is different to back home - and thats all I'm saying...!!!

The laws vary interstate however in NSW you have to aquire 130 logged driving hours before you can apply for a licence (or something like that)... that may be irrelevent in Perth tho...

Experience on roads that are familiar to him (around your home) will be invaluable before he takes the wheel of a (probably much larger) car here...

HTH

Cx

Guest Glasfor

Sorry I probably should have said you do have to do a log and a hazard perception in there somewhere, but tbh it just confuses me a bit.

Guest Guest31881
I have a son who has turned 17 and was wondering whether to get him through his driving test while we are in the UK or to leave it until we get to Perth ?? Any info would be welcome on driving in oz.:confused:

I would say get it before you come here, it can save him a lot of hassle passing all the different sections of the test here.

Here is the web page for WA about exchanging your licence, each state is slightly different. for example in WA they say you must exchange licence within 3 months of getting PR visa. but other states say within 3 months of arrival.

Transfer your licence

:jiggy:

Guest siamsusie
If your son is sensible, really sensible, then my advice would be to do it there. It comes in many parts in WA

1. Theory...L Plates

2. Test

3. Supervised 6 months driving which incorporates 25 hrs of driving in variable

conditions

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/learnerdrivers/1210.asp

4. Hazard Test / Eye test

5. P Plates for 2 years

6. Night time restricted driving & speed restrictions (Night driving restrictions can be lifted for pm employment reasons)

7. Blood Alcohol Restrictions

Best wishes Susie

Guest guest30085
Thanks everyone for the replies, it seems that getting him through his test in the UK is the way ahead. Best he pulls his finger out !!!!!!!

Hi General67

I would say his best bet would be to pass it here as he then has a full licence that he should be able to transfer directly over there without the need for supervised driving for several months etc. Not checked this but as far as Im aware even a 'new' driver over here that holds a full UK licence would just swap straight over.

Would just say I would stay clear of the 'Pass in a week' course. They are sometimes advertised as 'Guaranteed Pass Courses' - This is just advertising and a gimmick. If the customer fails then they usually just return the cost of the test fee. Instructors cannot guarantee a pass.

The companies that offer these will book a test at any test centre within your county sometimes and then they drive for so many hours a day - sometimes with another pupil in the back who will swap over every few hours. You would be better finding a local instructor with a good reputation and booking in as many hours with them - they will find the space (especially with Christmas coming up):eek:.

Best of luck to your young un' :)

• 5 months later...
Guest Herrboarder
Hi General67

I would say his best bet would be to pass it here as he then has a full licence that he should be able to transfer directly over there without the need for supervised driving for several months etc. Not checked this but as far as Im aware even a 'new' driver over here that holds a full UK licence would just swap straight over.

Would just say I would stay clear of the 'Pass in a week' course. They are sometimes advertised as 'Guaranteed Pass Courses' - This is just advertising and a gimmick. If the customer fails then they usually just return the cost of the test fee. Instructors cannot guarantee a pass.

The companies that offer these will book a test at any test centre within your county sometimes and then they drive for so many hours a day - sometimes with another pupil in the back who will swap over every few hours. You would be better finding a local instructor with a good reputation and booking in as many hours with them - they will find the space (especially with Christmas coming up):eek:.

Best of luck to your young un' :)

This all depends on the legal classification of the UK Driving Licence. I passed my driving test last June, and whilst my current licence is not a provisional one from what I understand its sort of a half licence (Would appreciate a legal persons views on this) as I am only allowed to get up to 6 points within a 2 year period (not that I'm trying to but that is the limit for the first 2 years) it you hit the 6 point mark you lose your licence. Full UK licences as far as I am aware have 12 point limits on them.

The question then becomes is this a provisional full licence, or a full licence in itself, and would the relevant driving authorities in Australia differentiate between them?

Pass in the UK and just drive in Oz on your UK licence, The P plate system is ridiculous, The fact that you can drive a car with up to a 6 cylinder engine kinda means that young drivers can go tanking around in stupidly powerful cars is ridiculous, I know for certain when I passed my test theres no way I could handle an m3 or the like and with the insurance laws in Aus its actually quite possible.

I've been told that I can use my UK licence for the duration of my 457 visa or until the licence expires but the rules seem to be really unclear.

I have just recently moved to perth and unfortunately did not get round to learning to drive in the uk so I have to do it here. Do you have to take and pass the theory test in Aus before you are issued with a provisional licence and can start taking lessons? Cheers

Guest siamsusie
I have just recently moved to perth and unfortunately did not get round to learning to drive in the uk so I have to do it here. Do you have to take and pass the theory test in Aus before you are issued with a provisional licence and can start taking lessons? Cheers
Hi Katie these are the requirements for WA.

You can apply for a learner's permit at any licensing centre or licensing agent any time after you turn 16.

Before being issued with a learner's permit you will have to pass a theory test.

This computerised test consists of 30 multiple choice questions on road rules and safe driving practice.

Second step - learning to drive

• This step is where you can begin lessons with a qualified instructor.

Third step - practical driving assessment

• This stage is where you can take the practical driving assessment.

• You must be at least 16 years and 6 months old to take the driving assessment.

• To help you pass this assessment you should read the Candidate's Guide to Passing the Practical Driving Assessment which is available from licensing centres and licensing agents.

Fourth step - log book

• When you have passed your driving assessment you can move to the next step to gaining your provisional driver licence.

• In this stage you still need to drive under supervision and you will also have to maintain a log book and accumulate a minimum of 25 hours of driving experience across a range of conditions.

• You must take at least 6 months to accumulate the 25 hours of driving experience. (Some exemptions apply)

• You will not be able to attempt the Hazard Perception Test until at least 6 months after passing your practical driving assessment and accruing at least 25 hours of experience.

• You must still continue to display your L plates during this stage.

Fifth stage - Hazard Perception Test

• On or after your 17th birthday, and once the log book has been checked at a licensing centre or agent you will have to pass the Hazard Perception Test to get your provisional licence.

• The test is used to determine your ability to assess traffic situations and to make safe driving decisions. The test consists of a computer screen that displays a series of moving traffic scenes. You have to respond to each scene by clicking a mouse to indicate when it is safe to commence a manoeuvre or when it is necessary to take the appropriate action to reduce the risk of a crash for the traffic situation.

• More information on the Hazard Perception Test is available on by downloading the brochure. A demonstration CD and booklet is available about the Hazard Perception Test (Please note not all computers will be able to run the CD).

• Once you have passed the Hazard Perception Test you will be able to driver unsupervised.

• There are certain restrictions and conditions that P-platers must adhere to. Please see the Novice driver section for more information.

You are then driving on P plates for 2 years Katie see "Novice Driver Section" above.

:wubclub: Susie

Pass in the UK and just drive in Oz on your UK licence, The P plate system is ridiculous, The fact that you can drive a car with up to a 6 cylinder engine kinda means that young drivers can go tanking around in stupidly powerful cars is ridiculous, I know for certain when I passed my test theres no way I could handle an m3 or the like and with the insurance laws in Aus its actually quite possible.

there are faster modified 4 cylinder cars here you can kill yourself in without worrying about 6 or 8 cylinders

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 123driving

Passing theory test in 1st attempt is not really a big deal if prepared for it properly. you need to prepare for 2 parts, theory test part and HPT part.

1. Theory test part

Which includes different sections, as the official theory test questions are available in the market, there are no surprises in the actual exam as those will asked from the set of official theory test questions only.

A. Basic preparation (Total approx 6 hrs)

Read questions

Give answers

Mark question if you feel it difficult or you attempted incorrectly

B. Advance preparation Total approx 4 hrs)

Attempt incorrectly attempted questions

Mark question still if you feel it difficult or you attempted

C. Exam preparation[\u] (Total approx 2 hrs)

Solve at least 10 random tests

Of course more the better..

This pattern will guarantee your part 1 success in exam

2. HPT part-

a bit harder for many... but actually easy to crack it...you need to know the scoring mechanism for this part-

Candidates can score up to five marks on each hazard and the test contains 15 scoreable hazards.

You click either the left or right mouse button whenever you think you can see a hazard developing. The speed at which you click the mouse button as a hazard develops will determine your score for that particular hazard perception clips. You can score between 0 and 5 on each hazard.

The pass mark for this part of the test is 44 out of 75 (i.e. 15 hazard x 5) for car drivers and motorcycle riders.

Those taking LGV or PCV (lorry or bus) tests must score at least 50 out of 75.

Note, your irregular/continuous clicks on screen might lead to zero score for that clip...

that's it... u r on your way to pass your theory test in first attempt... get going....best of luck!!! J

Archived