Villification permeates Australian Schools

connaust

MORE than two-thirds of young people are the victims of racism at school, with first-generation migrant girls in years 11 and 12 most at risk.

A national study has found that racism permeates Australian schools, with 80 per cent of secondary students from non-Anglo backgrounds and 55 per cent of students from Anglo backgrounds saying they had experienced racial vilification.

Interesting some argue this is a continuation from the Howard years (Labor is not much better) when the racial genie was let out of the bottle, and resurgnce in emphasis upon (white Australia) "Aussie Values"?

Guest guest33730

Interesting some argue this is a continuation from the Howard years (Labor is not much better) when the racial genie was let out of the bottle, and resurgnce in emphasis upon (white Australia) "Aussie Values"?

Oh dear - this is like a red rag to a bull with me!!

Surely as a society is concerned we must get to stage that we don't judge somebody simply because of the colour they were born!! if people do things that are wrong fine!! we should punish them fully, but not even giving people a chance for no other reason than they are 'different' is in my book just evil - at any age!!

Daniel

In my view the more these problems are discussed in the media the only thing they do is add fuel to the fire.

Adults may be racist although they say they are not to be pc. Children on the other hand are much more honest and maybe they are just showing the adults true feelings from the home.

Human beings are tribal and always will be.

They trot out these studies with no answers.

Bullying is not acceptable in any form but it persists, bullies beget bullies in my view.

With the lack of discipline generally in schools due to the teachers not allowed to do this and not allowed to do that and the child is always right how is it ever going to change.

Guest proud2beaussie

I wonder though about these studies,I mean we have no idea what the questions were or even if the people who conducted the 'study" loaded the results by using phrases such as " have you been called a racist name like pom",I'm sorry but until I read the report and see the questions I don't believe a word of it.

Kids have always been picked on and teased, bullied, harassed or whatever degree it may be and for anything that sets them apart from a particular group. Having gone through a childhood of being fat and bullied because of it, I dont think it is much different other than that it is politically incorrect to identify that a person is of a different tribe but it is relatively more OK to identify and comment on their size, hair colour, choice of clothes/shoes, inability to play ball games, height, etc etc. Race is, sadly, just another one but one which has been politicized as being a no no.

Personally, I think bullying is awful and should be stamped out for everything but chance would be a fine thing and that line between teasing and bullying is very fine.

Sadly the racist card is trotted out at every possible slight and given far more attention than any of the other facets of human presentation or performance which may be equally hurtful.

Nice to see though in this study that racism cuts both ways - that's a first!

Guest proud2beaussie

By the way my comments above should not be taken as suggesting that I support racism or bullying,I abhor both and always have done it's just that I am a bit cynical these days and tend to live by the old maxim about three kinds of lie.

Lies,Damn Lies,and statistics.

Guest guest33730

My word - I agree with all of those posts, Nigel, Petals, Quoll - I nearly even agree with my own - thats a first!!

Daniel

Guest wanderer

Given the nature of threads that Andrew is consistently starting I wonder if there is an agenda somewhere.

You read

Interviews conducted with 900 secondary-school students across Australia also found Anglo-Australian youths displayed consistent prejudice towards other cultural groups, particularly towards darker-skinned students from places such as Africa and India.

It certainly begs the comment as others have referred to, is this kids [many quite immature despite what we're often led to believe about younger generations and their more worldly exposure] being kids.

Continuation of Howard Years!

I think that the Australian population keeps moving on regardless of what politicians, good or bad may be in power at any given time.

MORE than two-thirds of young people are the victims of racism at school, with first-generation migrant girls in years 11 and 12 most at risk.

A national study has found that racism permeates Australian schools

Racist remarks can be made without any consequences in Hungary, and ethnic minorities can be humiliated and insulted here, US ambassador April H. Foley said in a statement after she met minority rights ombudsman Ernő Kállai on Friday.

Politics.Hu: US ambassador denounces racism in Hungary

• 4 weeks later...

All of the people i know who came to Oz as kids tell me (including my partner) that they got bullied for being English and quite of lot of it was very nasty too and wouldn't be acceptable if they were African/Asian etc. Whilst it might not seem too bad as an adult, for kids it can be a very big thing and something for parents to be aware of when you come here. Oddly enough, they all said the best way that they coped with it was to learn how to speak in a number of aussie accents, even though their normal accents are pretty much English. My aussie cousin also says that as a kid many of the English kids got picked on in her school.

Whilst others have said kids are bullied for other reasons - wearing glasses, ginger hair or being not the sporty kind, to a certain extent, i'm sure many kids are already used to it but when you have not been on the receiving end of racism before it can be very unsettling.

As an adult, i find Australia very racist and strangers (usually in shops) and work colleagues say things that i know would never be said in the UK - even though they may think it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lorac64

Being an ex-pat in any country generally leads to some sort of bullying. I was bullied for being English even though I grew up from the age of four in South Africa. I had a South African accent and became 'culturally' South African. I learnt to turn the other cheek and just carried on being me. I made friends and just accepted that I would always be an ex-pat in some people's eyes. Good friends make the burden of others' nastiness easier to bear. Accept yourself for who you are and others will too. :hug:

Speaking with Australian friends recently who also complain that racism has made a resurgence in the past 10-15 years, .......coincidentally mirroring the time John Howard was in power..... after 80s and into 90s where tolerance and multiculturalism were the mantras.... but now power of suggestion in the media ...... as if everyone in Oz is blonde haired and blue eyed.... migrants, students or plain difference seems to be fair game ... while ironically increasing numbers of politicians both left and right wear their christianity on their sleeves.....

Guest June Pixie

Racism is making a comeback in every country in recent times and especially since the downturn. In the UK you have morons who have recently joined the EDL and people who are involved with the BNP and other far right groups who, in reality , cannot do anything apart from intimidate young females from minority groups – They are otherwise known as cowards. They really are the scum of the earth and were waiting for an opportunity such as, recession, job losses and anything loosely connected with other people taking their god-given jobs as a right, to be able to inflict and preach their nonsense. Bullies are bullies whatever their cause or grievance. Stay strong voters and don't listen to their hatred.

Archived