Child Car Seats

betterlife4us

Hiya

Can anyone tell me what to do with our child car seats? We have two babies under 2yrs old and were thinking of taking our car seats over as part of our 40kg baggage allowance as we are going to need until the day we leave and immediately as we arrive, but I have been told by a shipping company today that British car seats don't always meet Australian Regulations.

Am I best just not taking them and buying new ones in Aus?

Liz

Guest EM&M

Hi Liz

To be honest I am almost certain that Oz regulations are no where near as strict as here. When my daughter was 13mths we hired a seat and I was less than impressed, it was very light weight and I didnt feel that it was adequete enough as I use a Brittax at home. My girls will be 10 mths & 3 when we go. I intend to take my brittax for the baby and I have a high back 3 stage booster which I also going to take. Check with the airline if it goes on your 40kg weight. We recently took the small car seat (carry type one) to Spain and they did not weigh it we just took it to oversize baggage. I am yet to decide if we should ship them or take them as I found there is shops to hire seats, cots, highchairs etc.

Dont know if this help u!!

Em x

Guest graham$nic

Hi there is a thread on here called can i bring my car seats if you do a search you should find it lots of info on them and i think you may have to buy new ones ours is old any way so we were going to leave behind and buy a new one hope that helps xx

Guest EM&M

Chelle, we hired one when we went with Ella when she was 13months. We had a hire car so had to get a seat no choice really, same as when went to Spain. Will se if I can find out a bit more about it as I just bought the new 3 stage booster seat for Ella and like u we have 2 of each for both cars. However we only want to have 1 car when we are there so I was going to take the newest ones. Like u say its not safe to buy 2nd hand car seats but theres heaps on ebay and I bet people would buy them. Need to have another think about it.

Em x

Hi ...we brought our new car seat with us 3 months old and £140...we couldn't use it. Over here you must have a car seat with an anchor point and be meet australian standards.

we had to buy another $250 ...in my opinion not as good as my UK one...but the police do check this from time to time and I dont want to breal the law.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

Hi

UK car seats are illgal in Aus as they don't comply with Aus Standards.

We just returned from Aus and foolishly brought our 2 car seats back with us.

2 Safe N Sound Maxi Riders (9kg - 26kg), retail at $360 each, will sell tham at $150 each or 75 pound each. Let me know if anyone interested, we're located near Reading. They are great seats, but illegal in Uk as they do not comply with Uk standards.

Cheers

Rio

Archived