Do many people apply to migrate to Australia never having visited?

freebo

Hi all,

Was just discussing this with Mrs Freebo, she has a hard time understanding how people can commit to move to the other side of the world having never visited to see if they like the place. I know that everyone has read about the country and seen it on TV but it does seem a huge step, after all what if you don't like it?

For ourselves we have been fortunate enough to visit twice, have been to all the states (except Tas) and chosen a location to got to (I also lived there for 5 years, many moons ago), so we know what to expect and love the place.

Just curious as to how others feel about making the big leap into the unknown really.

Guest Mucky Waters

I did not visit before I went and was OK for me as I lived in South Africa before, but others might get a culture shock and may find the change hard to take.

Guest The "legdes"

We did..in Sept. We had a brother and cousin in Perth (we are in SA) but we had never set foot in the country.

We just felt we trusted their judgement..we have similar wants, needs and expectations so we made the move......and we love it !

hi guys

we are now awaiting our pr visa,we have never be to oz, reasons for doing it this way for us are:-

1,we are up for an adventure

2,we have very little empathy with the uk now

3, we have friends that made the move,(and love it) who you would have never have believed they would ever leave the town they were born

Guest VickyMel
Hi all,

Was just discussing this with Mrs Freebo, she has a hard time understanding how people can commit to move to the other side of the world having never visited to see if they like the place. I know that everyone has read about the country and seen it on TV but it does seem a huge step, after all what if you don't like it?

Just curious as to how others feel about making the big leap into the unknown really.

I did manage to visit a few cities a couple of years ago. But would still have committed without a recci if need be. However, part of my reasoning behind that would be that I have travelled widely and lived in a number of counties without any problems of homesickness etc. and settled into different cultures easily.

If I hadn't moved and fitted in so easily in the past I would probably have some concerns.

I am not sure though that some of the potential issues can be sorted out in a short reccie/holiday visit. For example I have seen some people, who really didn't think it would be a problem, get very homesick even after previous visits - once a permanent move has been made and they suddenly feel trapped.

Although I still think a recci would be the best option if you can afford it.

Guest juliemtaylor

never been but have visa#s and going soon.... MIL and FIL go every year, have friends and OH family there so must be ok... An adventure!!

Julie x

I came over "never having been here before", but my advantage was that my husband was here already, so I trusted his judgement, I've been here 2 years now, enjoying it all, just missing friends and family :biggrin:

Miss family too, as a result 4yrs almost later and still can not settle because of this, do you think you will settle permanently?

Guest adamsnee

I actually happen to have a hard time with this situation too. I cannot understand why people move to a country that they never have seen because they never visited it. Really, pictures can be perfect but honestly you cannot get to know living situations just because you make them up in your mind.

Moving to another country is like changing your life, but it is starting in nowhere - not knowing anything except the facts that you can read in google... I cannot understand that, I am sorry.

Archived