tenants rights

Ratchet

Im not that happy, not happy at all. i appologies now for my moaning, but i could do wiith an answer if anyone knows?

A week ago (sunday) i put in a urgent request for our hot water boiler and heating unit to be looked at, as neither were working that well. Plumber called 4 days later(thurs) to come and have a look on. He said that the hot water boiler needs replacing as kn*ckered and the heating unit wasnt that far behind it. Recommendation was to have the hot water boiler replaced.

Fri we dont hear anything for agent, nothing on saturday either.......i decide to wait it out til tomorrow.....Then today - no hot water. boiler not working, not re-igniting, nothing, nadda, sweet FA........

I get out the contract, find the 24hour number and call it. answer machine. 10mins later hubby gets a msg on his mobile. Its the agent, she plans to contact the plumber to see if he can come out and have a look at it:mad:Not good enough. ive got the be up at 530am to go to work. cold shower in a cold house.........i cant wait for that one!

Ive heard that if its urgent such as hot water etc, it has to be repaired within 2-3 days. Is this right?? Do i have a case to be this angry? or am i just being melodramatic. id call one out, but dont have the cash to pay them...........

You have a right to be angry alothough it may not help. At our last place our heating went in winter and it too the landlord 6 weeks to get fixed. I threatened everything under the sun and it didn't matter.

In the end we ended up reporting him to the tenancy tribunal but he just got a warning.

My advice, ring you agents as often as you can and keep up the pressure.

Hope it gets fixed soon,

OH dear that is not good. I am not sure of the rules but there must be a housing association which protects tennats rights in your state - where are you? Try contacting them and asking their advice.

Try and document everything that you do and that has happened. Contact the agent by phone and then follow it up immediately by emails, repeating what has been discussed in the call so that their can be no getting out of it by the agent.

Good luck!

Love

Rudi

x

Try and document everything that you do and that has happened. Contact the agent by phone and then follow it up immediately by emails, repeating what has been discussed in the call so that their can be no getting out of it by the agent.

I agree, times, dates and who you spoke to!

Thanks guys i'll have a look at the attachment

got a call today from the plumber who has submitted a quote for a replacement boiler to the agent, so it in their hands now. Stuck a fire lighter into the boiler and finally got it working enough to a scalding hot/ freezing cold (it alternaates ever 30 seconds) better than nothing!

I do sympathise with you, we had the same problem only as landlords. We responded to every email and phone call from the agents within the day (we were in Oz they are in the UK) they sat on it for a week much to the annoyance of our tennant Then after that week they told the tennants we had done nothing and they were sending their own contractor in to quote...£3k and a new system. I hit the roof, had a little word with the agent and sent in my own contractor direct £274 including parts and labour.

You do need to get onto the agent and I am not suggesting that they are in anyway as bad as our UK agents ......

do keep your cool, it does work.

Michelle

You most definitely do have cause to be upset and there are systems in place to protect you from unreasonable agents/landlords. At the start of your lease you should have been given a little red pamphlet produced by Consumer Affairs Victoria and titled ' Renting a home A guide for tenants & landlords' If the agent didn't give you one (they should do by law) then I suggest you get on to the agent and demand one be sent to you asap. This sets out how repairs shuold be dealt with under the Residential Tenancys Act. No hot water/heating is DEFINITELY categorised as an emergency repair and don't let the agent tell you otherwise (I should know as a former property manager here in Victoria). This booklet sets out what options are available to you as the tenant. Don't let the agent give you any flannel, if they don't get it sorted straight away tell them that you will apply to VCAT to have these repairs done. Good luck

As a landlady myself it's increadibly frustrating from my POV when I do everything I can to keep my tenants happy (when one's a solicitor you never know when it'll come in handy) only to see others rip theirs off/ treat them like crap etc.

Like HP says above, it counts as an emergency repair and therefore should get sorted immediately. It sounds like the agent has a preferred plumber who they probably cut deals with, you have every right to pick someone out the phone book and get them in, though you may have to pay up front for the repair. Give the agent a ring and tell them you're getting your own person in if you don't get attention within 24 hours, it's amazing how fast things get sorted that way.

We had to get some repairs done on a leaking roof, the person the agent deals with wanted phone-number prices to do it, we rang around and got it done for $150, so don't just take an agent's word for it as to who to get in to deal with this stuff.

Archived