schools

hillyman

Hi all, me my wife and 2 children are emigrating to Brisbane hopefully in january of next year, when we arrive we will need to get my youngest into school, is this a formality when we arrive or do we need to jump through hoops to get her into the right school or should we be checking out schools in different areas before we leave.

any and all advise will be greatfully recieved

Thanks.

Graham

Hi Hillyman

We have 2 children in high school and we move to Perth this Month. Personally I researched schools and tried to match them up with where I will be working and hopefully living andthe ones that meet my childrens needs. I have contacted 2 schools in two different areas .They have been very helpful. They have sent me info about uniforms , cost of voluntary contribution etc and different schools seem to have diffeent enrollment structures. In all cases you will need to arrange an interview with the school once you have arrived.Also in you have PR you will be able to apply to any school if on a tempoary Visa that is not the case.

Also if on a tempoary visa you may need proof of 12 month housing arrangements in the schools catchment area. Which is the case with one of the schools I have applied to.

I hope this helps, cheers Dawn.

Wouldnt worry too much. General rule of thumb is that if you wouldnt want to live in a particular suburb then you wouldnt want to send your kids to school in that suburb!

Schools are obliged to find a place for a child in their catchment area even if they are full to bursting point. You can try and negotiate an out of area enrolment if you live in the catchment area of another school but they have the right to refuse you. If, after all that, you dont like the school in your area then there is a roughly parallel Catholic system which is very cheap fees-wise which may be a good alternative.

Best thing to do is to check out where you want to live first.

I agree with Quoll, generally a decent suburb equals a decent school. What area of brisbane are you hoping to move to? Maybe post something in the education section on here asking about schools in that area and hopefully someone will have some advice for you.

Good luck!!

Love

Rudi

x

Hi all, thanks very much for all your suggestions, i've been looking at different

suburbs and they all look great, im going to be working in the city but i don,t

want to live too close to the city was thinking up to 30mins drive towards the

gold coast so that im prety much central to the coast and the city,been told by

some fellow PIO that sinnimon park and the surrounding suburbs are very good,

we was also looking at springfield lakes could anyone give me some inside knowledge

on these areas and the schools that are in them,if anyone could also give me some

idea on house prices both to rent and buy that would be great.

again thanks for your great replys and any more info would be brill.

Paulaxx

Archived