Christmas

k8bug79

Hi, as the Christmas adverts have now hit our screens with a vengance and the supermarkets are already stocking chocolates and nuts for xmas. Please please please tell me they don't do this in Oz

I am sorrry we got off on a bad note but if you can wait a while I can tell you what you want to know as we are validating our visa at christmas in Perth. SORRY I am a bloke type with my feet with one foot in my mouth.

Guest brooksey

On a better note though fireworks are illigal so we won't get 3 months of kids running around blowing things up. God iv'e become old.

Guest siamsusie
Hi, as the Christmas adverts have now hit our screens with a vengance and the supermarkets are already stocking chocolates and nuts for xmas. Please please please tell me they don't do this in Oz

I have found the whole Christmas affair in Australia much more laid back, not so much in your face. Yes beginning of October Christmas cards were on display in the shops and post offices over here. I think you will either love Chrissy or hate it over here. I love it less work!:biggrin:

I have found the whole Christmas affair in Australia much more laid back, not so much in your face. Yes beginning of October Christmas cards were on display in the shops and post offices over here. I think you will either love Chrissy or hate it over here. I love it less work!:biggrin:

I agree, I think it is more laid back, and I think a lot of the cards and paper in shops here are aimed at the large number of us who have to post back pressies for Christmas. It gets REALLY expensive if you use air mail, but surface mail can take 3 months, so many people need to start early. I love Christmas here, seafood and sun (hopefully!!) having lunch with family on the Alfresco by the pool. Its what you make it.

Guest gary12

It has started, I found some great nice and tacky santa on surf board or BBQ decorations that will be winging their way back to the UK! Even found outdoor lights of Santa on a surf board to go on your roof if you are into that sort of thing!

On the way to Mornington there is a whole shop dedicated to Christmas I think it opens all year round no doubt to cater for us POMS who do the Christmas in July thing!

Michelle

Same here. I find it far less demanding than in the UK and more enjoyable because you can relax your way into it :smile: Well, that is compared to Christmas at home in Blighty!

Its less work here. My gf doesn't like it as it doesn't have that razzmatazz and intense build up for months on end like it does in the UK. But that's the reason I do like it here.

I found it all quite low key, which was good. Altho I suppose if you're the type of person who spends all year waiting for xmas, you will be disappointed.

I agree, Christmas is alot less in your face over here than the UK but I used to absolutely adore Christmas and it really doesn't have the same warm fuzzy feeling over here. Can't imagine wanting to sit down to a full roast in upwards of 30 degrees! Full on meat sweats!

Heard a story from a friend who's parents came over in the 70's and were determined to do the traditional turkey thing, left it to defrost but it was so hot flies had got in and the turkey was riddled with maggots :eek: yuk!

Needless to say we had fish and chips by the beach last year, nice, but not Christmas. :sad:

ps. the Christmas hamper adverts do my head in over here!!!!

It has started, I found some great nice and tacky santa on surf board or BBQ decorations that will be winging their way back to the UK! Even found outdoor lights of Santa on a surf board to go on your roof if you are into that sort of thing!

On the way to Mornington there is a whole shop dedicated to Christmas I think it opens all year round no doubt to cater for us POMS who do the Christmas in July thing!

Michelle

Oh my god Michelle those santa lights sound amazing! where did you find those beauts!? :wink:...not being sarcastic, gotta have a bit of tat at crimbo!! lol

Guest siamsusie

Michelle

It always makes me smile seeing the kitch! We also have a Christmas shops open all year in Launceston, a beautiful cottage type house, selling the most wonderful decorations.

Nice to buy, great little presents and get the kids to decorate them bubble wrap them and cheap on postage back home ss x

Kirk and Co, No worries all forgotten about!!!

Loving the idea of Father Christmas on a surfboard. I have to say I think Christmas is going to be my major bug bear. I had Christmas in Dubai once and being hot just made it seem wrong. But hey its one day!!!

Guest rachellh

We should be so lucky that it starts in October, Christmas actually starts in July over here - I kid you not!

I was in Coles yesterday and thinking why on earth do they need to be filling the place with plastic reindeer and and putting 'Christmas baking goods' on the end of all the aisles. Is anyone really that organised?!

Nothing beats the Xmas TV ads over here though. I think last year the Woolies 'offers' on sale for the festive period were 2 litre bottles of Coke, seedless watermelon and a 6 pack of loo roll. Give me M&S and their 'not just any Christmas pudding' any day of the week!

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest rachellh
Kirk and Co, No worries all forgotten about!!!

Loving the idea of Father Christmas on a surfboard. I have to say I think Christmas is going to be my major bug bear. I had Christmas in Dubai once and being hot just made it seem wrong. But hey its one day!!!

I've spent half of my life having Christmas in the hot and half in the cold and I have to say, that peeling sprouts in the sun just doesn't have quite the same ring! But then Dubai really isn't the best place to celebrate. I lived in Bahrain and it's not even a public holiday there, so lots of people still go work. How to kill the mood for those who want to gather round the plastic tree and worship the man in the white beard!

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest sassygal

oh I love christmas and the build up to it and come boxing night I am so depressed as its all over.

I have has xmas in a hot muslim country, with turkey and a tree - oh boy I got some looks lol, I even took roses, quality street, xmaspud and crackers with me, so I will have my xmas celebrations my style where ever I am. I will be gutted when my youngest has grown and dont believe anymore.

however I cannot be doing with easter eggs in january!

Archived