WA construction blue card

davet19650

Hi folks in WA

Anybody out there in the construction business that can help me.

Visas granted looking to head out to perth asap next year,

Painter and decorator by trade, understand that i need a blue card to start work.

been looking online as to doing the test $90 with bluedog training, whats involved in the test as to health and safety questions compared to our cscs tests over here in the uk, do the questions differ a lot to here, is there any other websites that you can recomend to do the test or is it easier to do once arrived in oz

any info greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dave

Guest english reject

google it, I did mine last year ( $ 80 ) its all on line and you basically you keep taking the test untill you pass, I think the site was frontline.

ER

Guest burkecath

Hi what is this blue card? my OH is a bench joiner, does he need this before he can work? he did his Vetassess skills test/passed etc. visa granted we were assuming thats it? booked flight going Jan2010? will be looking for a job then, any tips?

A Blue card/White card is a health & safety card needed to work on building sites, don't quote me on this but painters in Perth need to be registered with the some kind of paint registration board if running as a business. And to the other poster who's husband is a joiner, I would imagine he would not need one if he works in a factory but if he then has to go on site to assemble anything like a kitchen etc. then he will require one so better just to get one all the same.

They cost around $60+ and can be done online or in a classroom takes around 4 hours. If you do the test online you will need an Aussie address for them to send you your new card...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest craigmin

Alright Dave,

I have just done my white card as it is now , very easy run of the mill safety stuff. Also painters here do need to be liscensed along with plumbers & electricians. dont know for sure but have heard it costs a few hundred $`s to get.

H, hubby said blue card is pretty much the same as cscs in the uk. I would do it as soon as possible as my hubby didnt do his at first which didnt seem to be problem but he went on to a site and got kicked off because he didnt have it. You need to carry it and show it if asked for but its not always asked for. You can also go to a centre in perth and do it there, they issue you your card there and then compared to having to wait for it to come through the post.

Rachael

Guest bobdylansbeard

Hi all

I done my blue card a few months back, it was a dawdle. It's all common sense h & s stuff, if you get a question wrong you go back 3 or 4 questions but essentially you cant really fail it. Occassionally they might call you and a sk a few questions on teh phone afterwards just to ensure you never got someone to do it for you.

Incidentally mines was with blue dog training online.

i did mine in perth you just turn up sit in a meeting room and fill in a question sheet you are given a booklet with all the answers on and the questions tell you which page the answers are on its just health and safety at work but anybody who is working on a goverment or building site will need one mine cost me $90 took about 1.5 hours its easy

• 2 months later...
Guest amitdp
Hi folks in WA

Anybody out there in the construction business that can help me.

Visas granted looking to head out to perth asap next year,

Painter and decorator by trade, understand that i need a blue card to start work.

been looking online as to doing the test $90 with bluedog training, whats involved in the test as to health and safety questions compared to our cscs tests over here in the uk, do the questions differ a lot to here, is there any other websites that you can recomend to do the test or is it easier to do once arrived in oz

any info greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave,

Congrats on the visa Mate ..

You will need White Card now as i think the blue card is no more valid. this is where i got my online white card from ( i-Portal -- White Card Online Course ). very easy course contents and nice online white card course.

All the best mate..

PS: Im in Perth too :)

Hey Dave...good luck on your move..

I have done the blue card..its much easier than the CSCS...you do it online and as some else said, you keep on doing it till its passed.

Painters registration is a different matter. Not to be confused with Skills recognition. WA demands that if your going to be working for your self and will be making more than $200 dollars a job then you need to register with the Painters Registration Board. Good idea for the state ...crap for us as it means you have to tre do your skills recognition really and pay again...about $200 per year..

But when its done its done. Depending on exoerience, you either have to do a practical test and a written test or just a written test. Both are done at Thornlie college, now known as Polytechnic west.

The written test is not a breeze but there atre classes you can attend before it. Contact Neville Eastabrook at the college and he can explain more.

As for work for painters here...there is plenty...i'm in the Mandurah region...plenty big houses for redecs if you like that or plenty new builds if you prefer.

If i can help more please dont hesitate to get in touch...good luck with it all and get over before the winter comes..lol

AC

Guest Tomlinsons

Hi all

does anyone know if it is the same for plasterers do you only need to be licensed if you are running your own company or do you need a licence to work as a plasterer in WA?

Thanks Jo

Archived