well thats it!!!

johnd

well we have done it, we have put the house up for sale and set in motion things to find our cats a home. our oz relatives are very upset that we are leaving and i feel a right tw*t putting them through sadness and tears, but on the other hand we have put our uk friends and relatives, ( and our selves ), through two years of this and thats all we can take. we wont be stopping for citizenship , ( jan 2010), as we want to go sooner rather than later. we have only been back ten days from our trip to uk and we now both realise where we want to be. my heart sank when we pulled up in our suburb and that is not how you should feel on coming 'home'.

i know the uk isnt paradise but my wife and myself didnt have a bad life there, we made the mistake of looking for something that wasnt there for us in oz. oz is a beautiful place and has a lot of postives but it aint for us.....time to go!!!!!.

i'll keep you all posted.

Guest LondonGal

If you both want to go back then you just need to go for it, no matter how hard it may be for your Aussie relatives. I think when somewhere feels right you just know, whether that be Australia or the UK doesn't really matter, as long as you are happy.

Good luck with the house sale, hope it doesn't take too long.

Us too.................May 2010..............WE can't do it!!!

Grateful for the opportunity BUT it's not for us!

LOVE the Country BUT it's too far away for us................Used too jumping on a plane and being in Europe within 2 hrs!!!!

Our "home" is in Spain

Good luck

Good on you John..at least you have tried it and I truely hope you have a fantastic life in the UK. You have lived that life and you can live that again knowing that you have tried Australia and it wasnt for you....good luck to you bothxx

Guest bonefish13

Hi johnd

Hope you don't mind me saying, but. Would you not consider hanging out till Jan 2010 to get citizenship. I am not saying it is easy, far from it. You have obviously given it your very best shot. I know Jan 2010 can seem a long way off, but what happens if you return to the UK and decide that Australia may be better for you in 3,4 or 10 years time. It will be far easier to return if you had citizenship. Please do not think that I am trying to interfere, but I would hate to see you regret your decision at a later stage. Whatever your decision, I wish you well and truly hope it works out for and your family.

Take care, Tony:yes:

The thing is he might be eligible to apply for citizenship in Jan 2010..thats ok but it takes at least 3-6 months for it all to go through. Does he want to wait that long which if you put it on now it wil be another year.

Guest bonefish13

Hi MSTO

I know what you mean. But what I fear would be the feeling that a return to Australia would be out of the question because citizenship was not gained. I just want to make sure that the family if at all possible leaves its options open. I agree that the whole citizenship process can take some time, but when you consider you may have another 40,50 or sixty years on this planet and then compare that too possibly another eight or nine months in Australia it may be worth a thought. Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Cheers Tony

oh yeah dont get me wrong I can understand what you are saying....I would not go back without getting citizenship especially when its so close but some people dont want to do that. I think once your mind is made up its made up and wanting to hang on is sometime to hard but yes your right to suggest it I just think they have made their minds up and they realise how close citizenship is but they are not prepared to wait.

on the question of citizenship, we have already applied in may gone, and we would ,(prob), get our papers through in time for an australian day ceromony. i can definatley see where people are coming from but here are my reasons for going now....its my 3rd time in oz since '91 ok its the longest stint ive done , nearly 2 and a half years, so i feel that i know what my feelings towards oz are, i dont know what i might feel in 10,15 years but my life in the uk was ok before here is ok sometimes and **** the rest. i have an excellent chance of getting straight into a well paid job in my trade back in the uk, here i am struggling and i havent really done much for the last couple of months. my job babck in uk would be on the doorstep, i have done enough travelling to know i dont want that anymore and i couldnt work in the wa minefields! heat!. and lastly im not a gambler, we will still need a mortgage in the uk and the exchange rate is so good at the moment we would go back with more than we came with...so if the exchange rate went back to what it was when we came the difference on our money would be 20,000 pounds!!!, i would rather have that on a house than waiting and having an oz passport in a box under the bed.....just in case i want to go back....thats all.

Me too.... I've been planning this for around 9 months now - but think deep down I have wanted to go back for the last 10 years plus (been here 14 years!!) been watching the property market in my area, monitoring the government FHBG and the interest rate/exchange rate - if I had sold my house earlier this year would be lucky to get $280k now on market for $339,950 - don't expect that but real estate agent didn't baulk when I told them what I wanted - and I've given myself enough time to wait to get a decent offer....

thanks fantasia, when people say you should stay for citizenship i can see where they are coming from , but as you have said youve been here 14 years and want to go back , i think that is a very honest post. me and my wife have had 2 and a half years of good and bad, nore bad, basically just existing, mentally, emotionally and socially. have we tried?, yes indeed both worked for the vast majority of our time here and joned a local sporting club....but it aint the same and i dont think that is going to get better with time, i really feel that anything over 18 months is a decent time to know wether oz is for you. another thing every person we have told "we are going back", including next door neighbours have said,"had a feeling you would", do aussies just say things like that?, or maybe in the case of my neighbours they could hear me and wifie arguing!!.

estate agent said today that he has just found a home for some new uk migrants who said," uk is bordering on anarchy , because of all the migrants", worrying?, not really maybe he forgets the race riots in sydney a few years ago. like i have always said oz is a beautiful country where the people have on the most part been friendly, ( not unlike the uk), but it isnt and never will be home. we will prob be fed up in jan/feb with the wind and rain and cold but we both dread the summers here, too hot too many flies, you know the rest. i wont be overjoyed to leave oz as it has occupied a decent piece of my life , i'll just have to remember the good and forget the bad.

Guest guest30038

I think once your mind is made up its made up

There's plenty on ping pongers would disagree with that, and they have had to live with the consequences unfortunately. "Never say Never" is my motto................I would cover all bases if I was in that situation.

Good luck John with whatever you do and decide.

kev

Guest guest30038
and the exchange rate is so good at the moment we would go back with more than we came with...so if the exchange rate went back to what it was when we came the difference on our money would be 20,000 pounds!!!, i would rather have that on a house than waiting and having an oz passport in a box under the bed.....just in case i want to go back....thats all.

I think the exchange rate may be a deciding factor in those wishing to go back and may also be a deciding factor in those who wish to came, staying put in the UK.

kev

thanks fantasia, when people say you should stay for citizenship i can see where they are coming from , but as you have said youve been here 14 years and want to go back , i think that is a very honest post. me and my wife have had 2 and a half years of good and bad, nore bad, basically just existing, mentally, emotionally and socially. have we tried?, yes indeed both worked for the vast majority of our time here and joned a local sporting club....but it aint the same and i dont think that is going to get better with time, i really feel that anything over 18 months is a decent time to know wether oz is for you. another thing every person we have told "we are going back", including next door neighbours have said,"had a feeling you would", do aussies just say things like that?, or maybe in the case of my neighbours they could hear me and wifie arguing!!.

estate agent said today that he has just found a home for some new uk migrants who said," uk is bordering on anarchy , because of all the migrants", worrying?, not really maybe he forgets the race riots in sydney a few years ago. like i have always said oz is a beautiful country where the people have on the most part been friendly, ( not unlike the uk), but it isnt and never will be home. we will prob be fed up in jan/feb with the wind and rain and cold but we both dread the summers here, too hot too many flies, you know the rest. i wont be overjoyed to leave oz as it has occupied a decent piece of my life , i'll just have to remember the good and forget the bad.

I can't wait for the wind, rain and cold .... been doing a list this morning of things to take back with me in suitcase - winter things - suddenly realised really don't have many winter type clothes - even my work suit fabric will be too lightweight - Marks and Spencers here I come!!!

I've often wondered what percentage of Brits who move to Oz return to UK - I can understand the people from the likes of Bangladesh, Fiji, India and other semi-third world countries (there are lot of people from those countries where I live) wanting to come here and mostly stay - well guess its better than where they've come from - in my case Australia is not better than where I come from - apart from not having to have a large winter wardrobe..... unless you have a lot of money, don't have to commute 3 hours plus per day on hot crowded and often dirty trains, can afford a nice house near the coast (sea breezes) and of course your family are here too!!!

Guest treesea

The pound may yet fall a bit more, certainly against the Australian dollar. I don't think the devaluation of the pound has quite run its course. It used to be that the Bank of England would intervene to prop up the pound. But not this time. Mervyn King has admitted a weaker pound would be helpful. Plus domestic prices here are falling through the floor. He needs a bit of inflation in order to make paying back the government debt easier. A weaker pound means better income from exports (well, provided they aren't heavily reliant on imports for the raw materials) and higher prices for imported goods (well, it would, if only any of us could still afford to buy anything!) so higher receipts from taxes like VAT. Today's exchange rate is GBP£1 = AUD$1.83, and that's down from £1=$2 as recently as the end of June.

Actually, the appreciation of the Australian dollar against the pound just in the last month alone has been spectacular. At the beginning of September, AUD$1 = £0.5114. As of today AUD$1 = £0.55073. That's an all time record. With Mervyn King talking the pound down even further, who knows what the rate will be like at Christmas. What a great time to be repatriating Aussie dollars to the UK. Wish I still had some!

Archived