Has anyone secured a job before they go back????

Guest bethanne

Guest bethanne

I am frantically organising my move back to the UK after 6 years here and as well as battling with removal quotes, husbands visa (he's an ozzie) and school places my big concern is the job situation.

The few enquiries I have made tell me that employers like you to be there for interviews. However, I would love to have something secured before I leave (reducing the vast amount of insecurity I'm facing with moving back to the UK!:confused:).

Has anyone had any experiences good or bad of finding a job before you leave and/or how long has it taken people to get one when they get back??

I am frantically organising my move back to the UK after 6 years here and as well as battling with removal quotes, husbands visa (he's an ozzie) and school places my big concern is the job situation.

The few enquiries I have made tell me that employers like you to be there for interviews. However, I would love to have something secured before I leave (reducing the vast amount of insecurity I'm facing with moving back to the UK!:confused:).

Has anyone had any experiences good or bad of finding a job before you leave and/or how long has it taken people to get one when they get back??

Ssshhh ......keep this to yourself .....but i think things are picking up in the UK !

Sorry to tell you this, you will be very lucky to get any job in the UK at the moment. I have several members of my family, all made redundent LAST YEAR and only one found a job which is only temporary. These are not scrounging layabouts, they are on line every single day, registered with multiple agancies, scouring papers etc. trying hard, applying for many jobs but not even getting a reply in most cases. These are people who are already here for immediate start. Situation here is bad, some say it's getting better but not where we live it's not. (Midlands) I wish you luck and really hope you have success but be prepared to be patient. All the best on the move, not the best timing in the world though. sorry

Guest emmahardy214

My husband had been out of work since april and has tried for everything and got nothing! why are you wanting to return to U.K? times are bad th the minute. houses aren't selling, goods have shot up and its gonna take years in taxes to pay back the bank bailouts from the government. we are off to townsville after xmas and I ccannot wait. my opinion is that no matter what your qualifaction/visa/immigration status there are no jobs.

Sorry but it's true.

emma

from what i saw when i got backlast xmas it was pretty grim, then i went back fr a couple of weeks in June (i think)and itwas better, now i hear its better still, so there seems to be an upward trend. I think a lot of people have have to diversify a bit, I know I have (some might call it blagging it:err:) but the good thing is that i've got qualifications/accreditations now that i never even new existed!:wink:.

Guest bethanne
To theOP, What sort of work you looking for?

I am a health care professional by trade but I have been working in the pharmaceutical industry for the past few years.

The reason for going back is years of being unsettled and missing my family a lot more than I will miss palm trees and warm weather. Generally people have given me negative feedback about the UK but there has to be some jobs out there surely....

Guest pegasus 90
I am a health care professional by trade but I have been working in the pharmaceutical industry for the past few years.

The reason for going back is years of being unsettled and missing my family a lot more than I will miss palm trees and warm weather. Generally people have given me negative feedback about the UK but there has to be some jobs out there surely....

Hi Bethanne,

As is most common in these cases, a lot depends on where you live & what you do for a living. I went back to South east about a month ago (1st time in 6 years) and yes everyone including all my family were talking about the recession but not one of my family, cousins, or friends have lost their job !

I'm not saying it's the same for everyone ofcourse. I am looking to return next year and I am seeing quite a few jobs in my industry, although the chances of securing a job from over here are almost nil.

P 90

• 2 weeks later...
Guest treesea

The pharmaceutical industry in the UK might be okay just now, because they are currently benefiting export wise from the ongoing devaluation of the pound. Plus it's the usual story - no one wants to train anyone; all the employers want experienced people. If you are bringing any money back with you, the good news is that the Aussie dollar is at an all time high against the pound.

Just depends where you come back to in the UK on the jobs front. Some of my family in the north of England have lost their jobs. Likewise in Wales. But no one from down south yet - touch wood. Scotland's a bit tight for work. Good place to live though :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mumof2asdboys

I have a job to go to in the UK.

Try applying directly to organisations rather than the job sites. Follow through with a phone call so you have the chance to explain you are seriously moving to the UK (i.e not a time waster). Ask them if you can have phone / skype etc interviews.

Hubby hasn't had luck but has been told he needs to be present in Uk before being taken seriously. Friends in recruitment say there is work just more applicants.

Have family that lost jobs and had an extended period of unemployment. But now they have landed back on their feet and doing ok.

How is your spouse visa application going? How long has it been since you lodged yours?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Ssshhh ......keep this to yourself .....but i think things are picking up in the UK !

Hi, when you say things are picking up in the UK do you mean UKBEKISTAN, because the jobs market in the United Kingdom is chronic and they say its going to get a lot worse with another 500,000 unemployed in the next 6 months. Some will say they don't agree with this but if you are out of work here at the moment the chance of a good job in the UK, well to be honest there isn't any chance, thats the truth its not doom mongering its reality and not my opinion, people can disagree but 90% of firms are either not hiring, or they are making redundencies. sorry but the truth isn't nice. jim.

Guest bethanne

We got the settlement visa for my husband in 2 weeks! I thought it would take much longer.

Thats a good idea about applying directly with the company, otherwise you are just put in the same pile as everyone else who is applying.

Only 3 months to go till I move, so I will start trying to apply soon.

How long do you have to go back?. Not sure how long I should leave it before seriously applying for things.....

Guest Guest31881
Hi, when you say things are picking up in the UK do you mean UKBEKISTAN, because the jobs market in the United Kingdom is chronic and they say its going to get a lot worse with another 500,000 unemployed in the next 6 months. Some will say they don't agree with this but if you are out of work here at the moment the chance of a good job in the UK, well to be honest there isn't any chance, thats the truth its not doom mongering its reality and not my opinion, people can disagree but 90% of firms are either not hiring, or they are making redundencies. sorry but the truth isn't nice. jim.

Have to agree with you, My son (23) has never been out of work till 6 months ago, he has struggled to find any employment and has now finally managed to get a job as a carer in a nursing home. No one else is hiring. He has never done this work before and the pay is very low, but as he said, at least its a job. I suppose it depends where you are based in the UK but in his area, the work situation is dismal.:eek:

Guest mumof2asdboys
We got the settlement visa for my husband in 2 weeks! I thought it would take much longer.

Thats a good idea about applying directly with the company, otherwise you are just put in the same pile as everyone else who is applying.

Only 3 months to go till I move, so I will start trying to apply soon.

How long do you have to go back?. Not sure how long I should leave it before seriously applying for things.....

Throw your resume out to the recruitment agencies to get an idea of the job situation. Closer to the time of leaving I'd try contacting companies directly. 6-8 weeks before due to arrive in UK. That way yo can give them a ETA that doesn't seem too long to go.

We put the spouse visa in this week. How long ago did you get yours? I'm getting worried now about the financials and if I provided enough info for them to make a decision. Did anyone contact you after submitting the application?

Guest bethanne

We got it about 3 weeks ago. We didn't get contacted atall - we provided soooo much documentation though I'm sure they were so blinded by the info that they granted my husband a visa!!

I have a feeling they are processing them really quickly at the moment as there were heaps of free appointments for biometric testing and on their website this is not the busy time of year for applications - so I reckon you will be fine!. How long ago did you submit your application?

Oh and thanks so much for the job advice, I was wondering about the timelines before I go and when I would get taken seriously. To me it look like there are several jobs available suiting my experience - fingers crossed!!!

Archived