will my son join year 12???

Guest troyski99

Guest troyski99

We will to moving to brisbane in dec and my son is currently 16 in year 11 and studing for his gcse's here. his birthday is march 31, will he start the new school year in jan as a year 12 student?

Hi,

I can tell you that here in NSW we have a friend who daughter was 16 this jan just gone, she is in year 11, here the kids can be held back a year as well it is quite common practise, my 13 year old in year 8 has a couple of friends in the same year who are almost 15.

Hi Troyski

My daughter is doing her GCSEs now and will be 16 in July.

I've spoke to a few schools around Oz (not sure where we're going yet) and it seems that she will go into yr 12 in Jan 08.

I think we could hold her back a yr if we wanted but I'm not sure she'd be impressed by that! But I know this is quite common like Gizmo said.

I think its up to you and your son.

What does he want to do? Maybe this will help you decide whats best for him.

Sam xx

Guest The.Colebecks

Hi our son will be 16 this December but apparently will go into year 12 when we arrive - the thing that worries me is that he will be the youngest in the year there as opposed to one of the eldest here and also as we have decided not to go over to Oz until he has finished his GCSEs (which will be the end of June next year) it means that he will be walking into a new school, as a 'foreigner', half-way through the final year! I am terrified that he will find this VERY daunting, to say the least :confused: I am hoping that they will suggest he goes into year 11 instead.

If anyone else has been in this situation I would really appreciate your views on how your child(ren) coped with it all. :unsure:

Karen xx

We will to moving to brisbane in dec and my son is currently 16 in year 11 and studing for his gcse's here. his birthday is march 31, will he start the new school year in jan as a year 12 student?

Yes he will, have a son the same age, who is in year 11 now.

Regards, Jarvl.

Guest Phyllis n Joe

Hi Karen, my kids have just started school here on the gold coast last Monday, My daughter requested to get put back a year into Yr 10, and my son is in year 9. My son has settled a lot quicker as the boys play a lot of soccer and that seems to let them make friends quicker. The education system seems very relaxed here, the kids say they know everything and are way advanced compared the oz kids. hope this helps!

Phyllis

Guest The.Colebecks
Hi Karen, my kids have just started school here on the gold coast last Monday, My daughter requested to get put back a year into Yr 10, and my son is in year 9. My son has settled a lot quicker as the boys play a lot of soccer and that seems to let them make friends quicker. The education system seems very relaxed here, the kids say they know everything and are way advanced compared the oz kids. hope this helps!

Phyllis

Thanks Phyllis, a great help and it's excellent that your daughter was able to express which year group she went into, its relief to know that hopefully Sam will be able to do the same thing in WA next year, fingers crossed.

Karen x

• 5 weeks later...
Guest x-cheekychar-x

Hi, My name is Charlotte, i am 10 , 11 in July (27th) i was wondering what grade i will be in when i move to Australia

Archived