Importing personal car on a 457 visa

Guest johnnybgood

Guest johnnybgood

My wife and I arrive in Melbourne in October and we are hoping to import our car.

We know the costs involved etc and are fine with that.

I am wondering if anyone has successfully (or tried) to import their car when they had a 457 visa. The information we have read states that people on a 457 visa are dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Do you have to jump through more hoops...what type of additional paperwork is required?

Can you get approval before arriving in Australia - it seems that you need to be there first??

Cheers

Guest pasha02

Hi,

We imported our car on a 457 visa, it really is no different from doing it any other way, You have to apply to Canberra for your approval for a personal import which you have to do no matter what visa you are on anyway then it is pretty straight forward, keeping this reply short as the previous times i have answered questions regarding this people usually " flame " me with their opinions..... as i said i have actually imported our car, and would be more than happy to help with any other questions you have..... pm me though...........

Cheers

Paul

Guest johnnybgood
Hi,

We imported our car on a 457 visa, it really is no different from doing it any other way, You have to apply to Canberra for your approval for a personal import which you have to do no matter what visa you are on anyway then it is pretty straight forward, keeping this reply short as the previous times i have answered questions regarding this people usually " flame " me with their opinions..... as i said i have actually imported our car, and would be more than happy to help with any other questions you have..... pm me though...........

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul!

I rang the Vehicle Safety Standards office in Canberra yesterday and they confirmed what you have said.

The only difference to a normal application to import is that I need to provide 3 additional documents. They advised the following:

1. Letter from employer

2. Shipping Quotation

3. Confirmation of opening a bank account (Westpac let you open an account before arrival)

I am importing from Ireland and will post details of our experience when we complete the process.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi JBG

just saw your post on shipping your car from Ireland - we are almost at the same stage - would you be willing to share how you did it?, who you used? costs etc and any links to the process you have to go through with canberra - we are in county Down !!!! going to Brisbane in Feb.

cheers

Hi,

Cheers

Paul

was it worth it?

john

Archived