Moving to Melbourne to study - help, advice or suggestions much appreciated!

Guest HanLou

Hello.

I am 27 years old, new to this forum and feeling a little confused!

My partner whom I've been in a relationship for a year and half is an Australian national and is very keen to head home to Australia (Melbourne) mid-2010.

I would love to join him, despite it inevitably being very hard to leave so many friends and family behind. I also have the minor issue of renting/selling my house!!

I didn't go to university and therefore the only qualifications I have are A levels. I currently work as a P.A. in the CIty (London) but I am desperate to leave the office environment with a view to finding a route that leads me to achieving my ambition of working with chidren.

WIth this in mind, along with the fact that my partner is so keen to head back to Australia I'm trying to piece together some sort of study plan in order to fulfil my dream of working with kids. I also feel that studying would be a perfect opportunity to meet new people and build some friendships in Melbourne because as things stand I will only have my partner and his family/friends around for moral support!

I've done a little research and am very interested in obtaining a Certifcate followed by Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Childrens Services - which could lead to various potential job opportunities (in an ideal world!).

In theory, if I could achieve all of the above I would be a very happy young lady however I know that I am going to meet many obstacles along the way which is why I'm posting on this forum to try and seek some advice from anyone who can help.

Questions I need to try and answer are:

Which visa I could apply for?

What to study and whether I meet the entry reuirements?

Am I being realistic in thinking that I could have a visa sorted by middle of next year?

Thanks to anyone who is able to offer any advice - it is much appreciated. :twitcy:

Hi there,

By working with children, do you mean in a creche (nursery)? If so, you can go to TAFE (Technical and Further Education College) which is not University, but can be a 'pathway' to University. You would start with a Certificate III or Certificate IV in Children's Services and then go to a Diploma level.

Several of the TAFE colleges do these certificates, one I can think of is

Box Hill TAFE

www.bhtafe.edu.au (seach courses under children's services)

or if you want to do a Bachelor's degree, you could start with

Deakin University, Burwood which is one of the most popular here in Melbourne.

www.deakin.edu.au

Police checks are mandatory in Victoria for working with children.

Good luck with it, hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

You seem to know a fair bit about the universities. i don't suppose you know what uni does undergraduate degrees do you. I have contacted Melbourne uni and they have advised me they don't do them ?

i am so confused and unsure where to do for advice :confused:

Guest The Pom Queen
You seem to know a fair bit about the universities. i don't suppose you know what uni does undergraduate degrees do you. I have contacted Melbourne uni and they have advised me they don't do them ?

i am so confused and unsure where to do for advice :confused:

What course are you looking for? You could look here http://www.unimelb.edu.au/student/undergraduate.html

Thank you, i will have a look. I also called a company in London,England today. They help people moving to Australia with their studies etc.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Archived