New Tonight

Nick and sez

Hi Guys new tonight and posted my first thread on dilemas, im glad to have found a place where i think all my questions can be ansewered.

But firstly im a plumbing and heating Eng with Acs gas qualifications and i need to know should i apply to the TRA as a gas fitter or is it best for me to do the Veats sess general plumber practical and has any one else done this, i could really do with your help. many thanks Nick

Guest shawgorbys

HI Nick&sez welcome to pio everyone is really kind & helpfull on here so good luck & take care Andrea,Gary,Jack,Tom,

Hi Guys new tonight and posted my first thread on dilemas, im glad to have found a place where i think all my questions can be ansewered.

But firstly im a plumbing and heating Eng with Acs gas qualifications and i need to know should i apply to the TRA as a gas fitter or is it best for me to do the Veats sess general plumber practical and has any one else done this, i could really do with your help. many thanks Nick

Please look into the licences you need when you get there. I have read threads of certain trades arriving in oz expecting to work straight away only to find they have to virtualy retrain to oz standards before they can be isued with a licence to work.

Thanks to all who welcomed us last night, its quite hard to decide whether or not i need to do Vetasess or should i try the TRA route, i need some advice from hopefully a plumber or a tradie who knows which way to go, we really want to try and get out there.

My other question is really is thier much work around in Queensland or perth for a newly migrated plumber! as we are just about to start the journey i need to get some feedback if the grass is greener or is it worth staying in the UK.

Thanks to all who welcomed us last night, its quite hard to decide whether or not i need to do Vetasess or should i try the TRA route, i need some advice from hopefully a plumber or a tradie who knows which way to go, we really want to try and get out there.

My other question is really is thier much work around in Queensland or perth for a newly migrated plumber! as we are just about to start the journey i need to get some feedback if the grass is greener or is it worth staying in the UK.

Hi Nick,

Welcome to PIO. I'm a plumber still based the uk and took the vetasses general plumber practical last year at the Accrington site and found the college staff there very helpful.

For folkes who hadn't brazed a joint in a while, the staff let you have a few goes before doing your final peice of work to be assesed. As long as you get it right on the one you decide to screw to the wall for assessment your ok, don't worry about wasting fittings while practicing.

I'm not and never have been gas safe or corgi registered but i know most of the basic do's and dont's with gas so i took the advice of others on here and opted for the gas option rather than the roofing option, which is not really a plumbers job over here anyhow.

The questions they asked about specific tasks wern't too technical, i got the impression the assessor had a list of key/buzz words that i had to say while answering the questions.

My theory is to get to aus and then take thier gas courses. I believe even if your a qualified gas installer here, your qualification means nothing there (others please correct me if I'm wrong) so why make things difficult for yourself by taking a more difficult practical?? I've no knowledge of the TRA method so can't offer advice there.

The general plumber practical really was a piece of cake even though i took the gas option and was asked gas questions that i could not answer (such as how to size ventilation, describe the main components of a govenor).

Hope this helps mate. I've spoken to lots of plumbers in/going to Qld as we were going there but we're now going to Perth and havn't had much chance to speak to peeps there yet.

If you need any more help/advice just send us a pm and i'll help if i can

Regards

Martin

Please look into the licences you need when you get there. I have read threads of certain trades arriving in oz expecting to work straight away only to find they have to virtualy retrain to oz standards before they can be isued with a licence to work.

Sorry forgot to say, as Kirk & Co said, you need to have a good look into how to obtain your plumbers license too, it varies state to state. I've got details on here some where which i'll dig out regarding the qld course but i've nothing on WA yet as we've only just decided to change state.

I believe we can expect to be on wages similar or only slightly better than apprentice wages until we're fully registered/licensed?? maybe somebody can back me up or correct me on this??

regards

martin

MJ you are a bloody diamond mate thank you so much for your reply, i think that i going to go the Vetasess route but just wish that if i get to the practical asessment it was back in London as i live on the south coast in Sussex.

I think its better to go the Veatasess beacuse altougth i was Corgi reg and now Gas safe i onlt insrtall boilers and cookers and not the full gas fitting requirements, i used to do a lot of leadwork but have not dressed a bit for the same time i have brazed, not many plumbing and heatin engs hane dont the practical and thats why i am after as much advice as i can get because i dont want to lose money in case i failed the test.

I am currently awaiting my new ACS tickets before i fill out the Vetasess forms, secondly do you know if there is much work out in OZ at the Mo and if i was qualified would i get work,So many people say that their as much in the poo as UK, ive got a good buisness over here but i want a plunge pool and a better life for my family, i not going to be able to get that here.

Mate thanks for your time, my last question is that i have been self employed for 18 years and do not have any employment history as such for the Vetasess form, do i just state that on the form.

Thanks for your time. Nick

MJ you are a bloody diamond mate thank you so much for your reply, i think that i going to go the Vetasess route but just wish that if i get to the practical asessment it was back in London as i live on the south coast in Sussex.

I think its better to go the Veatasess beacuse altougth i was Corgi reg and now Gas safe i onlt insrtall boilers and cookers and not the full gas fitting requirements, i used to do a lot of leadwork but have not dressed a bit for the same time i have brazed, not many plumbing and heatin engs hane dont the practical and thats why i am after as much advice as i can get because i dont want to lose money in case i failed the test.

I am currently awaiting my new ACS tickets before i fill out the Vetasess forms, secondly do you know if there is much work out in OZ at the Mo and if i was qualified would i get work,So many people say that their as much in the poo as UK, ive got a good buisness over here but i want a plunge pool and a better life for my family, i not going to be able to get that here.

Mate thanks for your time, my last question is that i have been self employed for 18 years and do not have any employment history as such for the Vetasess form, do i just state that on the form.

Thanks for your time. Nick

Hi mate no worries anytime.

Were using true blue migration agency, are you using an agent or going it alone? if you've not decided yet, use and abuse as many of the "free call backs" and "free consultantions as you can find.

Really the vetassess general plumber test is a peice is p**s, to be honest i was disappionted in a way because all the worrying before hand wasn't necessary.

I have a friend who is a plumber just off the gold coast, a plumber i worked with in london and he said about a week ago that its quietish but he's not worried. He's moved up from sydney and has been building his own business up.

I had a similar thing with the work history, only worked for a couple of companies. Just put down as much info as possible, if you need to explain more, just put a note on the form refering them to an additional seperate not where you can explain your history in full. Would be a good idea to speak to an agent, i think there are agents on here who browse the threads hoping to pick up new clients, some of them give out info free i think but i can't think of any names at the mo.

Just a thought have you got your lpg ticket cos most if not all i think is lpg out there?

As i said anytime mate

good luck and if you need just pm me with any questions or repost here.

Martin

Guest guest30038

I know several tradies who've dropped the plumbing and just gone with the gas fitting. Not too sure of the detail but I think, (to simplify) that despite what quals you have and what courses you sit in the UK, once here (at least in Qld anyway) you are treated more or less as an "apprentice" for your first 12 month plumbing, whereas gas fitting you aren't.

There's a few gas fitters who are members here, so they may be able to clarify.

kev

I know several tradies who've dropped the plumbing and just gone with the gas fitting. Not too sure of the detail but I think, (to simplify) that despite what quals you have and what courses you sit in the UK, once here (at least in Qld anyway) you are treated more or less as an "apprentice" for your first 12 month plumbing, whereas gas fitting you aren't.

There's a few gas fitters who are members here, so they may be able to clarify.

kev

Cheers Kev, thats kind of what I thought, snow whites post i mentioned above i think from memory says that her oh had to work for twelve months in Aus before being allowed to enrol on the course to train for the full license, that was qld also but i varies state to state. People have said that qld is one of the hardest states to gain your license for a plumber, not sure if this is true as they all seem a little confusing to say the least.

Martin

MJ thanks for the advice, no i thought about doing the process on my own for the costwithout an agent. Also reading your replys and that of Kevs im still not sure. Is it better if you go for Vetasess general plumber or should i save money and go Down the TRA route, i have got My LPG ticket here and my boilers and basic ACS but i only install gas appliances and not work as a gas fiytter so much.

Therefore if i went through the TRA route im not really a gas fitter i suppose.

Im trying to save money by not doing the Vetasess but i think it may be the way forward.

Also i thought that if you pass youir Vetasess you can work as soon as you get to OZ, maybe i have been mislead. anymore advice mate would be great.

Im just a bit concerened that we could eventually get out there and there be no work or i would be on really poor wages, how much do apprentices earn! But i want a pool and and this is the only way we are going to get on. Also mate what made you go think of perth instead of QLZ.

Many thanks MJ...Nick..

Guest lee n sar
MJ thanks for the advice, no i thought about doing the process on my own for the costwithout an agent. Also reading your replys and that of Kevs im still not sure. Is it better if you go for Vetasess general plumber or should i save money and go Down the TRA route, i have got My LPG ticket here and my boilers and basic ACS but i only install gas appliances and not work as a gas fiytter so much.

Im trying to save money by not doing the Vetasess but i think it may be the way forward.

Also i thought that if you pass youir Vetasess you can work as soon as you get to OZ, maybe i have been mislead. anymore advice mate would be great.

Im just a bit concerened that we could eventually get out there and there be no work or i would be on really poor wages, how much do apprentices earn! But i want a pool and and this is the only way we are going to get on. Also mate what made you go think of perth instead of QLZ.

Many thanks MJ...Nick..

Think i'm right in saying to go tra gas route you have to have done a gas qualification re 3 yrs at tech and not just done plumbing nvq.

If you have only done plumbing then get your money out for vetassess i'm afraid.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks MJ...Nick..

Hi Nick,

Yeah I'm not sure what wages to expect to be honest, I've read posts from people saying that they've been started off on apprentice wages but the money has improved quickly as they've shown what they can do. But I'd rather have decent(ish) money from the start rather than having to keep on asking for more.

We're going to Perth now because our 175 skilled independent permenant residency visa is in 5th place to be processed out of six main visa types, we're hoping to jump into 2nd place for processing by aquiring state sponsorship (employer sponsorship i think is in 1st place but can't remember). Queensland state aren't currently sponsoring plumbers but WA are so that's why were aiming for Perth now. We could have applied to QLD for, i think they call it "off list sponsorship" where the state has a quota of visa's they can sponsor that are not on their state sponsorship list, but i think they only give them out in extreme circumstances.

Another reason is, if QLD are no longer sponsoring plumbers, it must say something about the current work situation there? That said though, I spoke to my plumber friend on the gold coast the other day and he's now doing good again. He's been working in brisbane for the last 10 months without a break in work. He said that qld have released a load of cash to bring the schools and public buildings up to scratch which has helped. Something our Gov should have done in lieu of bailing the banks out and still allowing the top brass to have bonuses!!

I've a load of doc's that i've downloaded which researching qld i could send if you want to pm me your email.

Regards

Martin

MJ Sorry i have not spoke to you recently, all your advice is greatly appreciated, also how do i PM you my e-mail as i not that good with computers, it makes you laugh my wifes uncle lives in Moggil,near brisbane and he reckons that he cant get a plumber out there for love or money,

I,m still in this dilemmma of whether or not to try as a gas fitter, i just about to reply to Lee nSar and thank them for there advice, Have you done any gas over here as in ACS,

Cheers for all the advice. NICK

Hi its Nick here and im still trying to find out from anyone which path to go down, i am a plumbing and heating eng with ACS in boilers and cookers and LPG and i need to know is it best for me to go for the TRA in gasfitting or the Vetasess in general plumbing, just wondering if there is any one else out there who has the same tickets and has done this or is doing this and which route did you go down.

Thanks for any replies.:eek:

I want go to my wife and kids 's House for next week . I will get a suitcase. smile! ask norma and misty and ask my dad and ask my sister pamela j. u will cames Here please. u will write a letter by mail. :spinny:I want go to out eat. I want go to mall shopping. I want go to bowling. I want go to see damon wayans. actor. I likes t.v. star. Have a nice day! maybe! Ehi R. Uwumarogie

Nick I've PM'd you one of my email addresses, just send me a quick email reminding me of your queries (save me re reading the whole thread) and I'll send over all the i've got hat i feel is relevent to you.

Martin

Guest lee n sar
Thanks for the advice Lee N Sar, when you say gas at Tech do you mean the ACS assesments we have to do in england or do you mean the NVQ in gas engineering, any help is great as i need to clarify this before i start to apply.

Thanks,Nick

Alright Nick

Having done your acs is not enough to go tra gas.

You could speak to my mate who is doing the same thing. Its digger on here.

Cheers Lee

Archived