australia....recession

jackster

with australias almost knee jerk reaction to the recession,( i.e cutting immigration, changing lists, taking skills off lists altogether, etc..) what impact do you think this will have on australia now and the not to distant future ?

bearing in mind this has happened in the middle of australias biggest immigragtion programme since the 70's or 80's ( not sure ) do you think they will reinstate skills on lists , incease immigration number and start promoting australia quickly enough to boost the economy ?

Knee jerk reaction! Do you mean the Australian government protecting workers from loosing there jobs?

I might be wrong and in no way an expert but I always thought the government where looking for skilled workers to fill pacific vacancies that couldn't be filled internally?

Now I'm sure the jobs taken off the skills list are no longer in demand at the minute, so whats the point of up rooting your family move to the other side of the world only to find you can't afford to live as there is no work or have to start under cutting etc, if you think about it the government are protecting Australians as well as people wanting to live there.

I have been in Melbourne since February and have heard this argument from both sides. Chris Evans the minister for Migration was on the radio here today and what he said made perfect sense.

The system of immigration is outdated. Australia needs to look at all forms of immigration, and it's various visa's. There seems to be skill shortages in Australia, and they are keen to encourage those immigrants with those skills into the parts of Oz that most need them. These immigrants will contribute to the economy and it will grow creating more jobs and the need for more skilled workers from around the world.

There are thousands of International students who come to Oz to gain qualifications and then stay after qualifying, however they do not have the work experience, and often end up taking jobs that the lesser qualified Aussies could do, therefor creating a pool of low qualified jobless workers.

The Aussies want people at the top of their trade, who can train and guide local people into becoming more qualified. As it stands this is not happening.

I came over with my wife on a 4 year 457 visa. Mr Evans says he welcomes people like us who have now got the experience of working here, have skills and experience that are badly needed, and are spending our hard earned cash in the community and making are positive contribution to the community at no cost to the Australian people. This is why he support people on temporary visa's applying for PR, because we have experienced all Oz has to offer, the good and not so good and still want to stay.

Whilst many people want to come to Oz for the good weather, or the fresher air, the Aussies want to know what you can give in return. Just like the UK the population here is ageing, so there will always be a need for immigrants, would'nt you want references if you were going to rent your house?

thanks Kdyer, this makes sense, its a known fact that australia requires immgration to keep the working population at a certain level to help economic growth, as do other countries e:g( canada,NZ) i'm sure the govenment realise that skilled migrants could be lost to other countries if they get their timing wrong, its all well and good wanting I.T and medical proffesions but you need the infrastructure to support this,and as you say thats not going to come from the students who choose to stay after studying, nor the workforce that are jobless due to the students

thanks Kdyer, this makes sense, its a known fact that australia requires immgration to keep the working population at a certain level to help economic growth, as do other countries e:g( canada,NZ) i'm sure the govenment realise that skilled migrants could be lost to other countries if they get their timing wrong, its all well and good wanting I.T and medical proffesions but you need the infrastructure to support this,and as you say thats not going to come from the students who choose to stay after studying, nor the workforce that are jobless due to the students

I think they are trying to keep a balance in the middle.

The case for and against reducing immigration certainly was topical and discussed in the papers. Industry was pushing for minimal reductions to ensure long term structural shortages weren't exacerbated and unions were arguing for reductions and/or better targeting, to minimise unemployment and reduce downward pressure on wages.

Like always the minister has to dance a fine line in between.

You read on threads here on PIO that skilled migrants are struggling to find jobs in Aus - so it makes sense to remove those jobs from the list until the economic climate improves. There has to be a balance in order to promote growth but not flood the market.

Archived