Private Medical Insurance

cowgirlfromhell

Was just wondering if most people bother getting private medical insurance, or just rely on medicare after moving to Australia??

(Guessing those with families have, but what about young couples or indivduals??)

Cheers

Depends on your income and if you have pr. Primarily you will need ambulance insurance, the private medical insurance depends on your income and needs. The state govt puts a medicare levy on salaries. It used to be $100k before you paid the medicare surcharge , a charge at the end of the tax year if you did not have private medical insurance . It now has risen to $150k until you pay the surcharge. We pay the extras insurance without the hospital insurance , optical,dental , physio and owt like that , not bad if you are blind etc lol. get a few bob back .

Mally

It also depends on what sort of services you are likely to use. We use a lot of physio and massage so for us it is definitely worth having. I'm also anticipating some BIG dental stuff for my daughter soon, so the private health will cover quite a lot of that.

Love

Rudi

x

Yes will have my PR, my partner is an Aussie and just had major work done to his teeth without having insurance and it cost him $5000...

We go to the dentist as routine, but dont use anything else....unless we were really unlucky and needed to go to Hosptial for anything....So wondering if we would benefit from Insurance really or whether we would end up paying more - than just paying the charge when it came down to it...??

Archived