child friendly airline & stopovers

calNgary

this question is for the lucky ones already out there,,can anyone recommend an airline child friendly for the journey ,my terrors are 2 & 7 and cant sit still for 2 hrs going to spain ,i am so not looking forward to 24 hrs,a family member recently returned from perth and said a baby on board was looked after by an airhostess some of the time ,giving the parents a break ,does anyone know if this service is available to book ?, also any ideas on the best place to stop off for a day or 2 with two little ones ,,any tips or advice welcome ,,if not ,,any bids on the children considered !!!!

thanks

cal x

p.s hoping to fly from manchester

Guest Marylou

Singapore Airlines are very good with children, I don't think one has to book for hostess help with the kids. Singapore would probably be a good place for a stopover. Another good airline is Emirates I've heard- not flown with them though- Good luck. Mary

We flew with Singapore this year. When we got on the plane the airhostess asked my children their names, then remembered them and came and spoke to them whenever she could. I cannot recommend Singapore highly enough - they are the best. Great place for a stopover, you feel very safe there.

Cath

Another ringing endorsement for Singapore airlines.

I don't have children but have flown with them lots of times and they are always really good to kids.

For older kids the on board entertainment - movies and computer games should help keep them happy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mandymoo

Hi Cal,

We travelled with a 2 year old in Feb this year, and the flight out was a nightmare!!!! We travelled with Malyasian airlines, and although I can't fault them, from what I've read, the air hostesess don't seem as friendly as Singapore. While we were in Oz, I bought a bottle of Phenergan. You've probably heard of it, but it is a sedative. Brilliant stuff. Thankfully it knocked her out for the journey back, and all of us felt a lot less stressed!!! When she did wake up, she was so chilled it was untrue, and even fell back to sleep when the plane landed!!! I know everyone's opinion is different, but for us it worked!!

Good luck.

Amanda x

amanda

thankyou and were can i get this medicine is it similar to piriton which i believe has a similar effect ,i might just have it instead and leave the other half to cope !!i must admit im dreading it as my two wont even sit through a video ,god help me !!

Guest Marylou

Me again calNgary, I've just read an article in Readers Digest which may help. It suggests Singapore Airlines for instance because of in-seat TV etc. Also choose flight times carefully- e.g. If your kids usually go to bed at eight choose an afternoon flight rather than a.m. Get kids to drink plenty of fluids and suggests a Homeopathic remedy called Jet ease. Hope some of this of use. Merry Christmas and A Happy New Oz Year. Mary

Guest mandymoo

Hi Cal,

We bought Phenergan in Oz, and they were so laid back when we bought it!!! I know in this country they are a bit more 'pickie' about selling it. However, my friend lives in London, and bought it there no probs, so I guess it depends where you buy it from!!! If you say you want to use it as a sedative, they probably won't sell it to you, but if you say something along the lines of your child suffers from travel sickness, and it was recommended by your health visitor, you may find the pharmasist being a bit more helpful. Also, sometimes, Phenergan can have the opposite effect, so its best to try it before you travel. I know just what you mean though, I dreaded the flight with our 2 year old, and all my fears came true!!!! She didn't want to sit still, and I stood no chance her watching a film on tv. I had a couple of glasses of red wine, and felt sick after drinking it, which meant hubby had to sort her out - how awful was that eh!!!!!! Like I said earlier, the flight back was far better coz she slept most of it. I know that maybe its the wrong thing to do to 'drug' your children, but if it makes it better for them, it will make it better for you!!

Good luck Cal.

Amanda x

• 3 months later...

thanks everyone for all your suggestions ,we have actually just been out for a few weeks and i was paniking over nothing ,luckily we had night flights with Singapore airlines and you were all right ,they were great and the kids behaved,,thanks to you all

cal x

• 1 month later...

I have to admit the thought of taking my 3 on a plane feels me with sickness! They will be 6, 3 & 1 and I am just hoping that they will sleep all the time, ha ha. Although I will have the added benefit of flying out to Oz with my sister, brother-in-law and their two kids...

Emma

Guest Missiemo
Hi Cal,

We travelled with a 2 year old in Feb this year, and the flight out was a nightmare!!!! We travelled with Malyasian airlines, and although I can't fault them, from what I've read, the air hostesess don't seem as friendly as Singapore. While we were in Oz, I bought a bottle of Phenergan. You've probably heard of it, but it is a sedative. Brilliant stuff. Thankfully it knocked her out for the journey back, and all of us felt a lot less stressed!!! When she did wake up, she was so chilled it was untrue, and even fell back to sleep when the plane landed!!! I know everyone's opinion is different, but for us it worked!!

Good luck.

Amanda x

Hi

I have spoken to our family doctor about the flight and he suggested a sedative, he was very helpful and did not have a problem with giving me a prescription for it.

We have booked with Malaysian Airlines, not sure what they are like, fingers crossed.

mo

x

Guest Alison1967

Singapore Airlines are really great with kids and will bend over backwards to help if you are having any probs.

Using the again this july

Hiya guys

I think i put this posting on before i went and honestly the kids werent a problem.My son is 7 daughter 2 ,wont sit still for more than an hour (if that) and hate being inside,,yep ,,i was dreading it ,,We flew Singapore Airlines and no matter what i will be using them when we go for good.The little one was the hardest ,she just wanted to wander,a few trips up and down the aisles ,which is good for you anyway ,and hundreds of toilet visits and she was fine,at night they turn off the lights and 90% of people sleep , ,we stopped at Singapore ,5hrs going 7 hrs return ,no matter what DONT LET THEM SLEEP till you get back on that plane ,right at the bottom of the airport past the shops is a kiddies play area ,hard to find at first but great for tiring them out ,upstairs is an outside sunflower garden (& smokin area)the kids can just charge around till they drop ,The return was the hardest as we were struggling to keep them awake before boarding i wouldnt stop for more than 5 hrs next time ,we had planned or staying over night but found it wasnt necessary,My son was facinated with the games and programmes available on his screen , and i now know you can even play Battleships with someone sat elsewhere on the plane.

Basically my kids are wild and i paniked over nothing,if i hadnt gone with the BBC i would have had them calpol'ed and piriton'ed to coma ,i had even considered the extortinate amounts to 'cruise' to OZ ,but thankfully its just not that bad and time goes much quicker than you could imagine,

Good luck to anyone about to leave us and let me know how your kids get on ,,

I'm proof it can be done drug free (well ,for the kids!!)

Take Care

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi we are flying on the 2nd August with cathay airlines, after reading all your comments I hope that we havn't made a mistake by going to Hong Kong and with cathay. Anyone else who have been got any comments? we have two kids aged 6 and nearly 8. What a nightmare! anyone know if they have tv's in headrest like singapores?

many thanks

:D val

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Oops - I realize my previous post was far to late to be of any use to Val4 but hopefully useful to others.

kind regards

Deb

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

We flew Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong and it was an experience! It was the first time that the kids and Daisy flew. On the first leg of the flight the service was fantastic - kids got many goody bags and the air hostess staff were very accomodating. On the second leg from Hong Kong to Sydney, the service wasnt so good Im afraid - the Air hostesses seem to move on a fast rate back and forth on the aisles. The entertainment on board was good for our three - age 10, 8 and 6 so we neednt have worried - there was three lots of goody bags and numerous snacks, food was good. Be aware though that all the foods had the may contain peanuts and nuts warning on them and the snack was often peanuts or pretzels. The fresh fruit was of very good quality though so if nothing else the kids ate well in that regard.

I think that if we were to travel by air again we may well opt for either a better class or Singapore as was our original choice. We went Cathay Pacific because we got a good deal on the flights what with five of us flying it was a costly journey.

Daisydeeds and Choobs.

with air con on. ;-)

Guest gail.crease

We have a 3 year old and a new baby who will be 6 months old when we are due to fly. I wasn't worried about the baby but my 3 year old is a nightmare. She's a seasoned traveller and been on 20 flights (mainly to Spain) in her short life with each one being worse than the previous one. I spent hours walking round the plane with her going to Orlando last year. No chance of DVT for me!!! I'm dreading the flight to Oz. I never thought about Singapore airlines before. I was thinking about Virgin as they were very good with kids going to Orlando. Has anyone flown with Virgin to Oz? Will definitely give Singapore a go after hearing everyone's experience and will definitely consider drugging her!!!!

Thanks for all the good advice..... :D

Does she have a car-seat and a fave blanket?? If so try taking that onto the plane and using that instead of sitting her in a big seat. She will be well used to it, and should sleep all cosy and warm for much of the way.

• 4 months later...
Guest Mel n Matt

Hi

We flew with Maylaysia Airlines in April with our boys who are aged 5 and 2 and who are incredibly lively! Admitadly they had both flown a number of times so knew what to expect, the flight however was fine. Maylaysia boarded the families with small children first and bought out their meal first. Must admit only got a kids pack on the first leg out but it seemed to keep them entertained. We took loads of little cars and made ramps out of the drop down tables! We even turned the plastic cups into garages and as for the hot towells my 2 year old nearly had a strip wash with them!

Our flight took off mid day going out and whilst they were awake for half of the first flight they slept for all the second flight which was a god send. We had a really short stay at Kuala Lumpa 2-3 hours which was ideal. Enough time for a freshen up and quick look at the shops and we were back on the plane which suited us.

Coming back we set off at midnight from Brisbane and again they were zonked and slept most of both legs. The entertainment on the plane was great with loads of up to date kids movies together with TV programmes including Barney for the 2 year old. The food was fine and there was plenty of free drinks including Orange and Guava juice which my kids loved. There is an English choice with each meal however its airplane food so no different to any other airline!! We took loads of snacks and fruit on board for them to munch on when they wanted. Our 2 year old had a nose bleed on the way back which the 5 year old turned into a right drama, but the air steward was great. Straight over with an icepack and flannels to wipe up etc.

I was really having nightmares about the flight, particulary as my husband isnt a very good flier and I thought it would be like having 3 kids instead of 2. Overall it was absolutely fine and would recommend Maylaysia. The funny thing is when we got back from Aus the following day my 2 year old was moaning as he wanted to go on a plane! Couldnt have been that bad!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest blackcat
this question is for the lucky ones already out there,,can anyone recommend an airline child friendly for the journey ,my terrors are 2 & 7 and cant sit still for 2 hrs going to spain ,i am so not looking forward to 24 hrs,a family member recently returned from perth and said a baby on board was looked after by an airhostess some of the time ,giving the parents a break ,does anyone know if this service is available to book ?, also any ideas on the best place to stop off for a day or 2 with two little ones ,,any tips or advice welcome ,,if not ,,any bids on the children considered !!!!

thanks

cal x

p.s hoping to fly from manchester

A company called gulf air have free sky nannies to help out with the kids, not flown with them my self but certainly sounds good! Qantas are ok kids packs and kids tv on demand in seat back tellies kept my 4 and 2 year old amused on a recent hols to and from oz. Best of luck.

Guest EM&M
A company called gulf air have free sky nannies to help out with the kids, not flown with them my self but certainly sounds good! Qantas are ok kids packs and kids tv on demand in seat back tellies kept my 4 and 2 year old amused on a recent hols to and from oz. Best of luck.

Hi Blackcat,

This post has been pulled up from 2005, luckly Calngary are happily in OZ now.

Em x

Guest blackcat

Lucky them!! Can you tell I am new to this!!!?? Oh well maybe others will find it of use. Thanks for the heads up.

Archived