Lap around Oz - Brisbane to Brisbane 36,000 kms

ck10_9

We drove 36,000 kms around Australia in a Ford Maverick 4x4 with a roof top tent

Jan 09 - Jul 09

The size of the country is mind blowing and you just don't understand that until you drive around it!! It is such a beutiful country with so much to see. 7 months was not enough to do it all but we gave it our best shot!

Not a huge % of the trip was 4x4 but we did do Birdsvill track, big red, cape york, coffin bay, bungle bungles etc

We have a blog going (I am still finishing it up - Cape York is a work in progress)

Two Poms and a Truck

(The blog runs a bit back to front so if you want to go from the beginning use the date selector on the right hand side of the screen)

I am back at work now and just want to be back on the road, I miss the freedom a lot. Such a great country to travel!!

Hope you enjoy our little adventure

Awesome - its a great feeling - I am too getting my wanderlust back and want to go. I did the same trip back in 2005 Perth - Perth but missed off so much because we didn't have 4x4. Would absolutely love to do it again properly.

Guest D4nnyB0y

Thanks for posting this. I've been debating how best to take our family around the country. As you say, the place is enourmous and with my wife not being able to fly, this is our next most likely option

Guest Andy & Rach

Sounds like a great experience. We are talking about a road trip for Christmas (not around Oz) maybe up North of Perth somewhere. Would love to do the Perth - Perth trip at some point.

Guest D4nnyB0y
Sounds like a great experience. We are talking about a road trip for Christmas (not around Oz) maybe up North of Perth somewhere. Would love to do the Perth - Perth trip at some point.

Whole bunch of places North, but bit of a trek to get there - Kalbarri, Monkey Mia, shark bay and coral bay are just a few :) Whole bunch of places to stop off for taking pictures too on your way, like the Pinnacles and stuff

Yeah there are some awesome places up that way -

This is why I posted the blog - to help give people an idea of what there is to see and do

We by no means exhausted it but we stopped in a lot of the 'must see' places

We read a few of these blogs and they were invaluable, but they were hard to find

Thought I would post this in an easy to find place!! :-)

Guest Andy & Rach

just looked at your blog and it looks like so much fun...

I think we'll start off small with a trip up North and aim for that big trip around OZ in the future. Thanks for putting the post on here, I know Andy is very keen to get out and about and explore WA. Maybe after our wedding we can plan the big trip

• 2 weeks later...

(I originally posted this thread in the 'Brits in Oz' forum however after seeing this forum I think it would be a lot more useful and relevant here)

Sorry for the duplication maybe a mod could delete my other one??

We drove 36,000 kms around Australia in a Ford Maverick 4x4 with a roof top tent

Jan 09 - Jul 09

The size of the country is mind blowing and you just don't understand that until you drive around it!! It is such a beutiful country with so much to see. 7 months was not enough to do it all but we gave it our best shot!

Not a huge % of the trip was 4x4 but we did do Birdsvill track, big red, cape york, coffin bay, bungle bungles etc

We have a blog going (I am still finishing it up - Cape York is a work in progress)

Two Poms and a Truck

(The blog runs a bit back to front so if you want to go from the beginning use the date selector on the right hand side of the screen)

I am back at work now and just want to be back on the road, I miss the freedom a lot. Such a great country to travel!!

Hope you enjoy our little adventure and find the info on places and things to do helpful.

• 2 months later...

It was fabulous - How I wish I could do it all over again!

Anyway just thought I would let you all know tha the blog is being updated again.

We are not so busy now that we have come bank from england and my sisters wedding - beautiful

So yeah enjoy the end of the tale and I will update with Cape York to Brisbane and pics soon

Check out our epic adventure, driving all the way around Australia

http://twopomsandatruck.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All the blog is tarted up a bit now! And looking good if I do say so myself!

I have added Cape York QLD and a Campsite Cost sheet (If it works!)

Can't beleive we spent $4,800 on Campsites!! :eek:

Also added is a fuel cost sheet it is not finished yet but it gives you an idea of how big Australia is and what fuel you will need in a 4x4 to drive around it

Happy reading and feel free to comment on the blog site

Guest siamsusie
Hi All the blog is tarted up a bit now! And looking good if I do say so myself!

I have added Cape York QLD and a Campsite Cost sheet (If it works!)

Can't beleive we spent $4,800 on Campsites!! :eek:

Happy reading and feel free to comment on the blog site

This is a great blog and piccies! Thank you so much. I loved Coffin Bay (Oyster Country), your input is a wonderful inspiration:wubclub: susie x

Guest siamsusie
Thanks very much Susie - still finishing it up.

Surprising the amount of work it needs! :-)

I can imagine, and I am sure when your looking at it you want to add so many bits and pieces as well. But it remains an excellent blog Ck10. Looking forward to hearing more from you, please do keep us updated. Best wishes Susie :wubclub: x

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just looked at your blog as i am moving to melbourne in august all i can say is it looks amazing wht you guys did the pics are also fantastic gd effort!

We saved hard for over a year and did not need to work at any point.

We were offered work at Mungerannie Station which would have been one hell of an experience but I needed to be back for work as they were good enough to give me the time off!

Oh and just to let you all know I have added a longish post to the blog

Worth reading this one - Espicially if Cape York is on your to do list

WHICH IT SHOULD BE - Amazing place

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just found this link - your trip looks amazing, will definitely be looking for ideas. Thanks for posting all the info up, along with costings.

How much were you budgeting for food and activities over and above the cost of fuel/accommodation?

We were trying to stick to $100 a week for food (We just bought anything that was on special that could be cooked whilst camping) - that did not include the cigarettes (wife has since given up that nasty habit) and the alcohol (not giving that up, either of us!)

Activities varied so much it was hard.... Depends where you are and what there is to do

You could blow your whole budget in Cairns if you wanted to!

Where as if you are in the Outback you'll have trouble finding an activity!

Guest Sneezy Badger

Just bookmarked your blog to read later on :)

Me and my wife travelled round Oz in 2006, but didn't do any of the off-road stuff (apart from the Bungle Bungles with two other travellers) It is a great journey that everyone should do! I look forward to re-living it through your blog...

• 2 months later...

Archived