Going back to the UK and the NHS

Belinda

Guest treesea
I have had my first baby in Oz and 'Never again', they were SO understaffed in a South East queensland hospital that i had a horrendous time (i won't bore you with the details).

We are returning to the UK and i will hopefully have another baby there. I also hope to get free dental treatment as my baby is still 6 months old but i have been out of the country for 4 years, i hope i can do this as i've paid my taxes there for 17 years (am 32).

Free dental care over here in the UK is a bit of a double edged sword. Sure, in Australia you pay for it, sometimes through the nose, but the care is very good. In my experience of living in Australia, they save teeth rather than pull them out and will recommend fit braces even for what I would consider barely noticeable non alignment of teeth. Back in the UK, the NHS dentists seem to prefer to extract teeth rather than going to the trouble of filling/saving them. As for braces, forget it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to comment about the NHS and, according to some, its gone down the pan! I have worked for the NHS for quite some years and frankly think we are very lucky to have free health care here in good old blighty x

Guest sooveroz
Yes I'm sure you will be entitled to NHS care but I hope you are not too disapointed as the NHS has really deteriorated over recent years. Would you not get better care in Oz?

no - she won't. my husband and i are both nurses in perth and the health care here is poor compared on the whole with the UK. the NHS is the envy of the world. all health services have problems and there will always be cases of people who have sub standard care - but - i can only speak for perth - the health service here is below par. royal perth, sir charles gardiner, joondalup health campus - you still have to wash out the bedpans and urinals for god sake (or more just rinse them under the tap) - in the Uk they are all disposable - I could not believe my eyes. nurses here dont even wear plastic aprons when doing wound dressings etc. infection rates are rife - much worse than the uk when you consider the population size. the foreign doctors are joke - trained for 5 minutes in uzbekistan and then get a job in australia. the nurses have no autonomy - definately a poorer service here overalll in my opinion and experience. stuff we outlawed 10 years ago in UK they are still practising here!

Guest sooveroz

Plus - being English this really gets my wick - there is a whole lot of care and prescription medicine that is available in Scotland that you can't get on the NHS in England. Just why is it that being English and living in England means you don't get the same access to healthcare as the rest of the UK enjoys?

its not so much that england doesnt get what scotland does - when they devolved parliament, health was devolved and became a scottish issue. the scottish parliament then said they would subsidise prescriptions, certain aspects of health care such as nursing home fees etc. plus when maggie thatcher tried to bring the free market economy to health care and gave GPs the power to pay for care at hospitals, it wasnt taken on in Scotland - GPs continued to send patients to the hospital they thought was best for them rather than the cheapest.

but dont forget this is in part subsidised by the significantly higher council tax paid in scotland compared with england.

I would agree with this. UK trained dr's have to jump through all kinds of hoops to be able to work here, but, it seems others don't. A few years ago my oh was told he had to supervise a dr from Russia, or somewhere. He refused, saying he doubted this man had any medical qualifications. He had a really hard time from the senior people, but still refused as he didn't want his reputation tarnished. A few months down the line, after this man had been practising - it turned out that he wasn't medically qualified. I was also talking to the practice nurse at our gp's the other day and she was asking me if I would work as a nurse here. I said no as I'd been out of practice for over 5 years. She said that that didn't matter as she'd been out for over 12 years and only did a refresher course because she wanted to, not because she had to. I don't know how true that is, but it definitely worried me!

Archived