Remaining Relative Visa Applications

Alan Collett

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

Thanks for the new article. I agree with you and I think there will be more Rem Relly applications in the near future as people will find that their own skilled visas are delayed by the new processing priority scheme and some of their older offspring will not be classed as dependants by the time their parents/ visas are eventually granted.

I will make this thread sticky for a while.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gollywobbler/Alan,

Before I go and suggest this visa route to my niece, do you know if she would be eligible, as she is an only child, and her mum and dad divorced when she was very young. She has not had contact with her father since then, and her mother got sole custody. Her mother remarried, and she and her step father have been in Australia for 3 years now and are citizens. My niece has already had 2 WHV's and now her boyfriend's employer has sponsored them for 4 years.

Could she apply for the RRV to get immediate residency rather than try and get a defacto one with her boyfriend being the main applicant?

Shaz

Thanks for this as this is the route I will be taking in not too distant future.

It would be good to have an indication of application timescales for both offshore and onshore if anyone has previous experience of applying for this visa.

If this helps, this is a timescale guideline for the subclass 115 last remaining relative visa recently granted for our daughter.

It was offshore and applied through Australia House London using Alan Collett/Go Matilda. I think ours was pretty straightforward ie me, OH and son in Australia and our only other child - a daughter aged 22 remained in UK apart from the fact we applied after only a year of living in Oz. (Our daughter couldn't be included in our PR visa application a few years ago - she also didn't want to come earlier, she could have come on a WHV initially so that she could be with us).

Late Jan/Feb 09 - Instructed Go Matilda to act for us and got suggested paperwork, evidence etc together.

3rd week Feb 09 - Paperwork submitted to Australia House.

End Feb 09 - Case officer assigned and requested couple of extra doc's.

Mar/Apr 09 - Medicals, police checks, form 80 and other paperwork sent (delay was at our end).

1st week May 09 - Assurance of Support requested.

Beg June - Assurance of support lodged (again our delay).

Beg July - Assurance of support accepted and bond lodged.

3rd week July - Case officer requested final payment and passport to be sent to office.

Beg August - Mistake made by case officer in final payment request (wrong amount asked for so new mandate submitted.

14th August - passport received back with visa stamp in it!

So total time was just under 6 months but between my daughter and ourselves being slow with paperwork our end :embarrassed: we probably delayed the granting by around 2/3 months.

This is a sentence stated in the information provided by the case officer at the outset -

As a guideline for yourself, average processing times for Family Migration

visas at the Australian High Commission London are approximately 3 months.

Lyn

ps Thanks again Alan/Go Matilda! :jiggy:

Archived