Not sure what to do for the best !

Guest dawn42

I think as Mum's we are born to worry about our kids, moving them to the other side of the world or even round the corner has it's issues. We moved to Cambourne 4 years ago, and the first year was full of major wobbles for my son (then 7), however my daughter has waited until this year to have hers (aged 9/10) - I think hers is more related to those 'Horrible hoemones' and they unfortunately can't be left behind in the UK!!

Karen

Guest claire&fred

Thing is when we first started our Visa process it was Jan 2008, and our eldest was only 7. We arrived here last year a few weeks before his 9th Bday. I was more worried about him than our youngest who was 6 when we arrived and started in Year 1. Thanfully eldest has now settled and it has taken about a year but I tell you that year has gone so quickly I cannot believe it. He now has a "girlfriend". I think he says hello to her about once a week! He now has some good friends and hopefully the will remain so until Secondary. Only time will tell.

Claire

Hi;

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this one. Do what you want to do as a family. It has been so drummed into parents that it's a disaster if a child misses a single day of school by this government that we tend to feel guilty keeping our kids at home for a few weeks. But it can be absolutely wonderful.

When we came back to the UK my kids were 10 and 11. They finished school in Brisbane at the beginning of Dec and we moved to UK in May. We settled in Somerset in July. From Dec to July we home schooled them. I had a new baby as well and it was terrific family bonding time. I wouldn't have missed it for anything. My kids are are 22 and 23 now and love that year of their lives.

It gives you a chance to really explore your new area together.

But I also believe it would work just as well if they settled into school at once. Swings and roundabouts. The thing to think about is that you may NEVER get the opportunity to spend time like this with your kids again. Once they're in school they're back on the treadmill as it were.

But if they're more likely to drive you batty at home for weeks, and believe me there are plenty of times in the life of my family I would have felt this, send them to school. Either way is fine. There is no right or wrong. Do what you want to do, and have fun either way!

Deb

If you know the school you may be registering with, contact them and ask if they will set the kids up with penpals before you arrive. The principle of our school did that for my daughter who was 11, so that by the time we arrived (during the school holidays), she'd been in contact with people, arranged to meet them during the hols and 'knew' some people for her first day.

Ali

Archived