Childcare costs??

Guest Andrew Family

Guest Andrew Family

Hi Everyone

This is my first thread so be gentle. We are hoping to move to Adelaide late next year, although we have plenty of hoops to jump yet!!!!

I was wondering if anyone could give me approximate prices for childcare. My daughter will be 6 years old when we move so she will be going to school but do before and after school clubs have a charge attached? I would image they do but an estimated cost would be good. I also have a little monster who resembles a boy (when sleeping) and he will be 3 years old. I will be working full-time and my husband will be the child care. However if it is more feasible for him to also find work and Morgan (my monster) to go into childcare then we will consider that option.

Just weighing up all the possibilities at this stage so any advice will be greatfully received.

Regards

Dawn

Guest Mrsnoon

Hi Dawn

I could do with the same advice that you're after. I have a son who is 9, i will be working full time and initially my husband will be taking care of our son Josh. Once Josh is settled in to the area and school etc my husband will then be looking for jobs.

Any info that i find out about childcare costs i will gladly pass it on to you.

Samantha

Guest ABCDiamond

This is something I did ages ago, for Queensland, but I would imagine similar figures would be found in South Australia.

Australia has some pre-school options, provided normally by private organisations, and parents can get a reduction on this cost, up to about 85%, depending on income, from: Centrelink.

May people comment that these places are very difficult to get, and you need to be booked in years ahead, however my area of Brisbane seems to have no problems like that.

An example of one of the larger companies that provide this, is The ABC Learning Centres ABC Learning Centres - Home

In April 2005 the full fee, for our local one, for a 3yr old child was quoted as about $41 per day before the Centrelink Discount. This can reduce to about $6 per day after the benefit.

Some Child Care Costs quoted in my local area today 28th April 2009

Working Full Time:

* 5 days costs $235.00 (without any Child Care Benefit CCB entitlement)

* 5 Days costs $61.50 with 100% CCB entitlement.

Not Working

* 2 days costs $8.40

These prices are for one Child Care Centre in my area, in the Redlands, others may or may not be similar.

There will also be more expensive ones...

Guest Andrew Family

Thank you everyone for your replies, they are really appreciated.

I did have a look at the ABC learning centres link and the prices do look scarey, although we currently pay about the same here in the UK the main difference is that we both work full-time and grand parents help out. All these factors are often taken for granted until they are not around.

I have also realised that my daughter will be (hopefully) arriving in time to start primary school in 2011 although it will be strange because she actually starts primary school in the UK this September. And that we will have to find child care for my son as he won't be able to start pre-school until the following year.

So much to take in but with the right advice we can plan appropriately and not have any nasty surprises, so thank you again.

Regards

Dawn

Hi

I don't know if you are aware of this but in Australia Centrelink give you a rebate at the end of each 3 month period (March, June, September, December) which equates to about 50% of all the child care fees you have paid during that period. Although childcare is expensive initially, the rebate actually makes it quite reasonable. I am pretty sure that the rebate isn't income based, but I am sure someone will put me right if I have got this wrong!!

Guest Andrew Family

Thanks for that. I thought the rebate system would work on a monthly basis so to know that it is every 3 months is really helpfull.

Guest ABCDiamond
. I am pretty sure that the rebate isn't income based, but I am sure someone will put me right if I have got this wrong!!

You are correct, there is currently no Income Test for the "Child Care Rebate", previously called "Child Care Tax Rebate".

Guest ABCDiamond
So there is Child Care Benefit which reduces your payments to the childcare provider (or can be taken as a lump sum annually) AND a child care rebate which pays 50% of remaining out of pocket costs.

Yes, that is correct.

Guest ~mia-childs~
child care rebate which pays 50% of remaining out of pocket costs.

... to a maximum of $7500 per child (IIRC).

• 2 weeks later...

So two separate things - Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate.

1) Work Out Child Care Benefit

Govt works out your Child Care Benefit rate based on your income and number of children. Starts reducing at combined family income of $36,573.00 until it cuts out totally at $131,560.00 (based on one child).

2) Work Out How Much You Are Out of Pocket After Child Care Benefit

Your Total Outlay - Child Care Benefit = Out Of Pocket

3) Use Out Of Pocket to Calculate Child Care Rebate

Out Of Pocket divided by 2 = Child Care Rebate

4) Add it all up

Your Original Outlay

- Child Care Benefit

- Child Care Rebate

----------------------

Your Final Cost

Our final cost works out at $2.67 (1.30 pounds) per hour.

We do it all at the end of the financial year but you can reduce your Original Outlay immediately if you wish (ie pay less at the door using the Child Care Benefit).

As someone mentioned you can also claim the Child Care Rebate quarterly.

Guest Andrew Family

Thanks for the info, now for the stupid question. If I am applying for a State Sponsored Visa, is that classed as a temporary or a permenant visa as it appear that if it is temporary we don't get anything!!!! Is that right?

Hi Everyone

This is my first thread so be gentle. We are hoping to move to Adelaide late next year, although we have plenty of hoops to jump yet!!!!

I was wondering if anyone could give me approximate prices for childcare. My daughter will be 6 years old when we move so she will be going to school but do before and after school clubs have a charge attached? I would image they do but an estimated cost would be good. I also have a little monster who resembles a boy (when sleeping) and he will be 3 years old. I will be working full-time and my husband will be the child care. However if it is more feasible for him to also find work and Morgan (my monster) to go into childcare then we will consider that option.

Just weighing up all the possibilities at this stage so any advice will be greatfully received.

Regards

Dawn

Hi

I live in Adelaide and both my children go 2 days a week to an ABC Learning Centre. I have never had any problems with their care and the staff at the centre are wonderful.

I currently pay $213 for both children 2 days a week and I receive the minimum Child Care Benefit. As the others have said you also get a child care tax rebate every 3 months of 50% of your costs for that 3 months so it is nice when I get a lump sum every 3 months of about $1200. :wink:

HTH

Guest Andrew Family

Hi HTH

Where abouts in Adelaide do you live? What is it like? We are hoping to apply for a State Sponsored visa next year and be over by Dec 10, not sure how realistic that is???

Thanks for the info.

Child care rebate is actually sneakily means tested; you can only get it if you're eligable for one of the Child Care Benefits (can't remember if it's A or B). If your household income is above a certain threshold, you don't qualify for CCB and therefore not for CCR either.

Child care rebate is actually sneakily means tested; you can only get it if you're eligable for one of the Child Care Benefits (can't remember if it's A or B). If your household income is above a certain threshold, you don't qualify for CCB and therefore not for CCR either.

You can only get it if you are eligible for Child Care Benefit....BUT....even if you are above the income limit for Child Care Benefit you can still be assessed as being eligible for it just at a zero rate (by meeting the other eligibility criteria which most people do).

Because of this there is no effective means test on Child Care Rebate. Strange how they do it.

Thank you very much for correcting me. Centrelink has told me and a work colleage we can't get it, seems they just don't want to spread the love.

*wanders off to have a good talk to them*

No worries. Their website even says:

"If you know your income is too high, you will still need to submit a claim for Child Care Benefit and be assessed at the zero rate of Child Care Benefit to receive quarterly payments of the Child Care Rebate. You will not need to provide us with an estimate of your actual annual family income or your tax file number details."

So does sound like they have mislead you unless there is some other sneaky caveat hiding somewhere.

Archived