Aussies calling brits poms

Guest manchesterman

Guest The Pom Queen

I will close this thread as it is nearly 3 years old. May be a good idea to start a new one as a lot of the members no longer post on here.

Wasn't me what dragged it up! But I do find it ironic complaining about being called a pom when you're a member of a forum called Poms in Oz.

I was curious and looked up pom on wikipedia where I found this gem: "many British people or those of British origin consider the expression offensive or racist when used by people not of British origin to describe English or British people, yet acceptable when used within that community". Guess that explains it!

Yep that comment was aimed at Larrson77 not you my lovely.:biggrin:

Guest tterrier81

seriously if someone is offended by the word pom then i suggest u leave this country immediately, this word will be used to describe you wherever u are in this great country.

who gives a ****!! we have history and heritage in excesss of their 200+ YEARS and we are proud of it and deep down they love our history cos theirs is not nearly as long as ours but that is how history evolves with time. As poms we have to educate them!! LOL

What a bizarre way to look at it. Australians have just as much history as we migrants - in many cases it is the same history. It's just their families made the move a few generations ahead of ours.

By the way, I find that my Australian in-laws have a much better recorded family history than I do simply because there are court records for the transportations and then records seem to have been kept once people got to Australia.

Archived