IELTS for Accountant - General or Academic?

abz123

Submitted my 175 visa app on 20th April but read the bit on the website about July changes requiring accountants to have IELTS 7

Not impressed as my understanding was that as a UK passport holder there was no requirement for IELTS (at the time I submitted) but a post lodgement query confirms that I need to sit this in order that they treat me as being on the CSL.

That will be over four months wasted by the time I can sit the test and get the results.

Rant over!

Real question is do I need to do the Academic or General test? My understaning is General is all that is required but I could get an earlier date in Edinburgh if I do the academic.

Does it matter? I believe the Academic is harder!!

Hi abz,

Am also an accountant on a British passport, and needed to do the IELTS to get onto the CSL - you only need to do the General test, not the academic. (I believe the academic one is a bit harder...)

When you do get a booking, ask if they have a cancellations list you can register on as well - and keep a look out for "one off" tests. I am in Melbourne, and was booked to take the test at the end of August, and a test centre offered a one off test in May that I managed to get registered for.

Cheers!

Jules:laugh:

My Oh recently took the academic and said it was not too hard (avg 8.5) - and I think someone on another post said they are pretty similar anyway (I'm not sure we did not look at the general - but it may just be the type of graph in the writing section??). Take a look at some of the examples that are available on the web and have a go at them - I think practicing the format they are presented in was the important part.

Good luck

Hi Jules

"Can I just ask why you don't apply for a 175 under the CSL? No state sponsorship?"

I thought I was until I found out they moved the goal posts re IELTS in July. Got an email back from Adelaide yesterday confirming that accountants are only on the CSL with IELTS scores of 7 or above.

Reckon I'll get up early tomorrow and clarify this on the phone. It seems to be easier to speak to them that way.

I believe 176 are processed more quickly and Perth was going to be our chosen destination anyway.

I am also in Scotland, but to get the general test in a reasonable timeframe had to fly to Brighton for it, but worth it as I didnt want to wait for months to do it, or to risk taking the academic and not getting a decent enough mark. I ended up getting a 9 overall for the general test.

Depends on where you're going but accountants are not on the list for state sponsorship in QLD. Dont know about other states.

Good luck

Archived