Sit IELTS and go for 176 or sit tight for 175?

abz123

Apologies for duplicate posting but I'm new and originally put this in the Dilemmas forum last night but realised it shouldreally be here!

I lodged a 175 application on 20th April as an accountant but am wondering whether to try for SS (WA) and convert to 176.

I had the points to not need to bother with IELTS but this is now mandatory with a 7.0 pass mark for accountants for WA SS (and for new 175s)

Should I pay the fee and take the test, or just wait for a CO to be assigned to my 175?

Any idea how long it is currently taking for 175 COs to be assigned? Accountants are on the CSL.

Hav a go a the IELTS...its no to bad. Enough free study matterial out there on the web so the only cost is time and the fee !!

Do a search on PIO and you will find lots of info on it.

If your occupation is not on the MODL & CSL then the 175 will take some time I think

I would do the IELTS or apply for SS or both...you will be waiting until 2010/11 otherwise. Im an accountant too & applied in May 09 and I sat the academic IELTS (the writing is marked quite hard but the rest is easy for a native speaker) and applied for VIC sponsorship last month. I would think that most accountants will pay for the IELTS or go the SS route rather than waiting around indefinitely!

I would do the IELTS or apply for SS or both...you will be waiting until 2010/11 otherwise. Im an accountant too & applied in May 09 and I sat the academic IELTS (the writing is marked quite hard but the rest is easy for a native speaker) and applied for VIC sponsorship last month. I would think that most accountants will pay for the IELTS or go the SS route rather than waiting around indefinitely!

Hi Eva,

I'm a fellow accountant. I've sat IELTS and also applied for WA SS (came thru the other week). Given priority changes announced at the beginning of the year, I decided to cover both bases and sit IELTS in case issue with SS application. In hindsight it was probably excessive but just want to get the visa in the bag asap before DIAC made any other changes.

SS will give you higher priority but obviously restricts you to a particular state. If you know where you want to go then I'd go for SS.

All the best

If you stay as 175, you will need to sit the IELTS anyway to be considered as on the CSL. Otherwise you will be waiting alongwith all the other non-CSL 175 applicants

I didn't want the state restriction of a 176, so I hung out for the 175. As it happens, the state I am heading for (VIC) now has Accountant as a critical SS occupation.

Having submitted my 175 application online, following the advice from other PIO posters, I then e-mailed DIAC to advice them that I had sat the IELTS and therefore qualified for the CSL.

I was expecting to wait for about a year bur as you can see from my timeline, I only had to wait 5 months which has been quicker than for some of those who have pursued SS.

Archived