Giving Blood in Oz

Stuju

Hi All,

For those of you that have been wonderful peeps and donated blood in the UK, just thought i would let you know that tonight they have been advertising a new blood donor advert on tv here in Oz ...... if you have had a recent tattoo you cannot donate for a year.... but guess the bit that cuts most of us pommies out if out have lived in the UK between 1980 and 1996 you can never donate blood here in Oz. Suprized they call us pommies really and not mad cows !!!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh:

Guest dunnarunna

hubby will be pleased he`s been donating for years but last few attempts have gone bad, seems some of the people dont know what their doing, so at least if he stops he can do it without feeling guilty

donna

Can I ask why to those specific time frames? If it's due to HIV/ Hep risk etc if we can prove we are negative to this should we not to be allowed to donate or is it due to CJD? I feel quite passionate about this as I benifited from donated blood after my son was born under emergency conditions. I was peeved when the goverment in the UK stopped people from donating if they had had a transfusion in the 90's. Mind you it stops the Jehovah's witnesses knockin on my door!

Guest franny22

thats so sad. so does that mean that because i've lived here all my life I cannot give blood over there. i give regularly here and would have liked to continue to do so. I agree that if we have proof of good health that we should be able to donate. x:yes:

Guest Rachel&Stu

Hi Gizmo,

Thanks for the info....

I was hoping that Aus would be a bit more 'advanced' with blood donations than the UK. I am one of those people now 'banned' from donating, since I have myself had a transfusion in 1988. (What about the 30 plus donations between 1989 and 2004 that I have given, I ask myself?)

Oh dear....would love to still be donating, but looks like it ain't gonna happen!

Cheers,

Rachel:wubclub:

Guest aveenandme

:no: Hi there. My sister works for the Australian Red Cross blood transfussion people going around in a fab vehicle collecting the blood from donors( very cool job. Going to see if i can have a bit of that). But like the rest of us not able to donate. It is due to us all possibly being mad cows (and bulls). The system they have in oz is way more advanced than many other places, including uk. They have not had an adverse reaction to a blood transfussion in a long time. There may be something else you can donate though. I will ask her and let you know. (not talking about anything yukky)

Guest Diane Paul and the kids

We both donate blood every 4 months in the uk but if they say we can't then we can't,there is not much we can do but it is a shame

I declared my digust at this when my aunt told me a few years ago - I give because my gramp had regular transfusions in his fight against leukaemia. Michael can't ever give here cos he had growth hormones as a child so I give for both of us.

On a more positive note you can stay on the international bone marrow register though - I'm determined I'm gonna keep helping one way or another.

Felicity:wubclub:

No Jo it won't (or shouldn't) cost you - if you are on the register and a much is found elsewhere, they arrange all your flights and there is money to cover costs and stuff.

I'm O neg as well - my blood is usually labelled up for the special care baby units!!!!! Think something needs to be done about this - our blood is just as good as anyone elses.

Guest Abi&Dan

it's quite sad really - I'm no hippy :jiggy: but I like to feel I can do something positive for others and giving blood really makes me feel good. It'll be a shame to give it up but I guess CJD must be able to stay dormant for a really long time and it's good they take that much care - will make me feel fairly secure if we ever need blood there!

Guest Rachel&Stu

Hi Giz,

Just been on that link!

What a difference from Aus to UK. If I had received my blood transfusion in Australia, I would only have to wait for 12 months and then I could have continued donating. I can only assume that, as previous posts on this thread, it's because we have vCJD in the UK.

What a shame.:sad:

Cheers,

Rachel

Archived