Reccie done and now the stress begins!

antandjack

Hi Everyone

We have been back just over a month from our reccie/validating trip in Melbourne.

The flight was great we flew with Emirates and the in seat entertainment was great for the children ( 6yr and 3yr) although watching Bolt nine times was a bit hard

The kids didn't sleep at all on the flight out there so we felt like death by the time we reached Melbourne.

We booked a hotel in the city centre and collapsed on the beds as soon as we got there.

The first few days we did the tourist bits Melourne zoo (fab) Melbourne museum (great when raining) the aquarium and the Botanical gardens.

The children loved the trams and even got to sit in the front of one to ring the bell which they are still raving about.

We then went out looking at areas, we had already decided which areas to look at after research in the Uk. So we looked at Frankston, Point cook and highton (Geelong).

All the areas were nice and we would have been happy to live in all three but we loved Highton and it offered us everything we were looking for and the people were so helpful and welcoming.

We booked in to visit a couple of schools in Highton and they were both great schools and it made my little boy very excited. One thing I didn't expect was that the teachers mentioned that it is harder to get a kindergarden place than a school place!!

We looked at the show homes and land packages out there which were an eye opener they are so big that I would worry that I'd never see my children..... actually that sounds great!

We found Melbourne as a city was a very lively young place to be it suited us as a family down to the ground and I'm sure we would have many years of fun there.

The flight back was hell we had two stopovers which was not mentioned on the ticket and my little boy got plane sick ( i always wondered who used those sick bags!):confused:

No sleep again!!!!

But on arrival to London everyone wanted to go back.

So the stress began..................My mum was devasted that we liked it and were going!

The house went on the market and we had so many people viewing in the first few weeks that I almost became like a robot...kitchen.....bathroom and so on.

After three weeks it was under offer which we were amazed about we were expecting months.

So now I've given in my notice at work and busy sorting out the house.

Today it's my little boys leaving party at school which makes me feel awful as the children are so upset he's going!!

Where as my little girl keeps telling her friends they can come to tea at her new house in Austraila:wideeyed:

So fingers crossed the sale of the house goes ok, surveys done and no issues so hopefully exchange in three weeks.

Sorry so long, good luck to everyone else and maybe see you in Oz!!

Jackie xxxx

Guest ashmalog

great post - it has all happened so quickly for you. good luck. we too are looking at melbourne, lovely city.

bonnie

great post - it has all happened so quickly for you. good luck. we too are looking at melbourne, lovely city.

bonnie

Hi Bonnie

We were so lucky with the house.

Where abouts are you heading to in Melbourne?

Good luck to you all as well

Jackie

brilliant to hear that everything is going so well for you, we have just been granted our visa today to are very excited, we are heading to melbourne too

We really want to live in Geeong or possible ocean grove just outside, would love to hear your thoughts on there if you visited.

We are just waiting for someone to buy our house now, fingers crossed

Claire x

brilliant to hear that everything is going so well for you, we have just been granted our visa today to are very excited, we are heading to melbourne too

We really want to live in Geeong or possible ocean grove just outside, would love to hear your thoughts on there if you visited.

We are just waiting for someone to buy our house now, fingers crossed

Claire x

Hi Claire

Any advice I can give you I will be happy to do so, so please ask x

Congrats on your visa this is the exciting bit now for you all..................

I hope your house sells soon x

Jackie x

Congratulations that the house is under offer. I think that is the biggest for most people at the moment in the process of emigrating.

Melbourne IMO is a fabulous city. So much to do & see, and it fits every budget as well.

Good luck with all the organizing, before you know it, you will be stepping onto the plane and jetting off to your new life. :jiggy:

Hi Great info,

We are heading out to Melbourne on the 30th July for our reccie and visa validation trip. Not looking forward to the flight with a 2 yr old! We only got the visa on the 1st July so it's been a bit of a wurl wind since then.

Planning on staying in Melbourne for 1 wk then Geelong for the 2nd mind you thats subject to change the only thing that is booked are the flights. Hopefully accommodatation to be booked later. Then this weekend is our daughters 2nd birthday party! why did I think it was a good idea to invite 15 children to our house!!!!

So just got to stay away from anyone with flu symptoms till then, not that I'm worring about anything !!!Just everything!!!

Fingers crossed for the house sale.

Ruth

Hi Great info,

We are heading out to Melbourne on the 30th July for our reccie and visa validation trip. Not looking forward to the flight with a 2 yr old! We only got the visa on the 1st July so it's been a bit of a wurl wind since then.

Planning on staying in Melbourne for 1 wk then Geelong for the 2nd mind you thats subject to change the only thing that is booked are the flights. Hopefully accommodatation to be booked later. Then this weekend is our daughters 2nd birthday party! why did I think it was a good idea to invite 15 children to our house!!!!

So just got to stay away from anyone with flu symptoms till then, not that I'm worring about anything !!!Just everything!!!

Fingers crossed for the house sale.

Ruth

Hi Ruth

The flight is hard work the 1st 5 or 6 hours are ok but after that it drags we did it a few years ago when my little girl was coming on two and she surprised us by being so good!!! Just take a few snacks for on board as my two ate none of the food on offer just remember to throw away the left over food in the sin bins at the airport!!!

Look forward to hearing your reccie report when you get back.

All the best with your party

Jackie x

Thanks!

Was just on Argos site looking at a Peppa Pig ruck sack to fill with goodies to keep her/us going. We have a 2hr stop at Dubia after 7 hrs, we decided to fly from Birmingham as it is just up the road & flying with Emirates.

I'm just so glad we found PIO as it makes everything so much easier and reassuring knowing that there are others out there - been there done & doing that!

Cheers again

Ruth x

Thanks!

Was just on Argos site looking at a Peppa Pig ruck sack to fill with goodies to keep her/us going. We have a 2hr stop at Dubia after 7 hrs, we decided to fly from Birmingham as it is just up the road & flying with Emirates.

I'm just so glad we found PIO as it makes everything so much easier and reassuring knowing that there are others out there - been there done & doing that!

Cheers again

Ruth x

Emirates are great for Disney films!!!! I think there was around 25 of them when we went with them.

We got off in Dubai to theres a McDonalds there which was a god send for my little boy who was starving!!!

We got the little pull alog cases for our two get more in and they loved them they are good for books etc!

PIO is a fantastic site.

Take care x

Thanks!

Cheers again

Ruth x

It makes you wonder what migrants actually knew 10-20 years ago when they arrived or where in the process of moving. We found all the expat websites fantastic 3/4 years ago when we where planning the move, but now you can find pretty much everything you need to know to prepare yourself.

It makes you wonder what migrants actually knew 10-20 years ago when they arrived or where in the process of moving. We found all the expat websites fantastic 3/4 years ago when we where planning the move, but now you can find pretty much everything you need to know to prepare yourself.

Thats true. I would have been stuck if I didn't have these sites!

I think every question is answered with such good advice...............

Oh did they take the pull along case on board as hand luggage? Silly question I know!

I know what you mean we don't know we are born! How old do I sound saying that!

Ruth x

Thats true. I would have been stuck if I didn't have these sites!

I think every question is answered with such good advice...............

you must have asked all your questions before 10pm Oz time, because after that most on here are drunk and can only waffle. :laugh:

damn, its 10.50, I better get another Carlton out of the fridge. :wink:

you must have asked all your questions before 10pm Oz time, because after that most on here are drunk and can only waffle. :laugh:

damn, its 10.50, I better get another Carlton out of the fridge.

I'm always tucked up in bed with my hot chocolate by 9pm!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must admit not asked any over complicated question yet maybe i will and see what happens.....................Oh whats a Carlton is it a brand of hot chocolate????? :biglaugh:

That sounds fantastic, even if it is a bit of a whirlwind.

So exciting.

Hope it all goes really well for you.

We are off on our reccie/validation to the east coast on Saturday.

Wow good luck with your trip, I hope you enjoy it.

Have a safe journey

Jackie x

I'm always tucked up in bed with my hot chocolate by 9pm!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must admit not asked any over complicated question yet maybe i will and see what happens.....................Oh whats a Carlton is it a brand of hot chocolate????? :biglaugh:

Thats right.

Its best kept chilled at around 4 degrees, and tastes better when served in a stubby holder. :smile:

Guest juliemtaylor

brilliant post, good to hear of Geelong as an alternative area. You are sooo lucky on the house sale.

Julie x

Guest mandisfam

Wow, what a lovely post to read. How fantastic everything has slotted into place for you. I must admit I am so jealous, we have the visas, but no buyer, not even any viewers for the house....so we are not going anywhere.

Hope the move goes smooth for you, good luck.

Mandisfam

Wow, what a lovely post to read. How fantastic everything has slotted into place for you. I must admit I am so jealous, we have the visas, but no buyer, not even any viewers for the house....so we are not going anywhere.

Hope the move goes smooth for you, good luck.

Mandisfam

Thank you.

It is a horrible feeling not knowing whats going to happen for one week to the next me i'm a planner and i've been unable to plan for the last three years as our destiny has been in someone elses hands, i guess thats how you are feeling as well.

But I wish you all the very best on what ever happens

Jackie x x x

Archived