truck licence

Guest neilalys

Guest neilalys

hi all, we are soon brissy bound, a quick question, i am aware i have to retake my truck licence when i arrive, but my uk one the medical is now due, is there any avantage to spend the £125.00 for medical, will it make a difference to the test i have to take in queensland, just a loose end i have to tie up before we go, thanx

When you get to Australia all you will get is a car licence.

You will first need to sit a HR licence (heavy rigid) you sit a written test (multiple choice) then go out for lessons then test all done in one day.

HR will let you drive busses as well the only diffrence to drive a bus is you need a police check as well (no medical required) After you hold your licence for a year you can go for a HC licence (heavy combination) or class 1 in the UK again if you want after another year you can go for your MC (multi combination) road train every test you do can be done in 1 day.

I think you are best to do your medical before you leave just in case things don't work out you can walk back into a job also when you come back to the UK on holiday you can work if needed. I've kept both licences and work when i go back to Australia 2 weeks work pays for spending money!!!!!!

Hope that helps, any other questions just fire away

Geoffrey

Oh bugger, I was hoping I could sit an artic test & get working straight away (ish).

Is it the same in Aus as the UK in that the bulk of the work (and money) is on artics?

On the same subject if I sat a test in ACT then in 2 years moved to NSW or Victoria would the licence transfer to there?

Cheers... Rob

Oh bugger, I was hoping I could sit an artic test & get working straight away (ish).

Is it the same in Aus as the UK in that the bulk of the work (and money) is on artics?

On the same subject if I sat a test in ACT then in 2 years moved to NSW or Victoria would the licence transfer to there?

Cheers... Rob

Unlike a car licence a truck licence is Australian its fedral not state based not that, that mattered anyway. You just walk into vicroads and they will swap it to that state

Sorry forgot to add

Having a rigid licence (class 2) is not that bad there is still plenty of work you just get a little less an hour (but if you work out how much it costs to get your HC your not worse off) and as you know you may work a little harder.

But be warned not many trucks are sincro boxes they are road rangers takes a little while to get the hang of

Best of luck

Archived