Anybody recently applied for ACT Sponsorship??

ponnuvarun

Hi All,

Am a new member to this wonderful Forum. A big salute to all the members/active members for the contributions made in the Forum for others..... Please advise me for some of the following doubts.

1. I have applied for Visa during Feb 2008 for my nominated occupation Accountant (MODL, non CSL) under family Sponsorship category. As per present situation, MODL applicants will not get CO in the near future. Hence I decided to appraoch for State Sponsorship from ACT. Whats your opinion about my decision??

2. As per the information I got, I have to show financial capacity of AUD 50,000 (including 3 dependents). Whats the proof I have to submit along with my application???

3. Presently Accountants are there in the Skills Demand List. They have closed processing applications received after June 30. New Skills in Demand list will come by Aug only. Shall I apply now, by taking the risk of assuming that Accountant will be there in the new list also.

4. Please also guide me about the detailes I have to submit about Canberra in the Reserach details etc. Like why I selected the State etc.???

Welcome.

To answer (2), we provided copies of recent bank statements.

(4) - You will need to Reasearch the 'unique' lifestyle in Canberra, and provide a couple of pages giving your reasons (there are a few threads about this on here already).

Good Luck..

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Ponnuvarun

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

According to the recentlywithdrawn ACT List, you will need a minimum of 6.5 in the Speaking Module of the IELTS plus a minimum of 3 years' experience (which I assume means post qualification experience.) Are you OK on both of those?

I think they might bump the Accountancy IELTS up to 7 on August 1st. Canberra is not a large place. I don't think they are trying to use migration as a means of boosting the population (which I suspect WA of doing.) So I think the ACT might make it even stevens between themselves and the CSL as far as Accountants are concerned but I do stress that mine is only a private hunch and I could be totally wrong.

In any case it seems that you need more time to prepare your application so I would suggest hanging on till August 1st before deciding whether to spend money on the ACT.

You do have to CONVINCE the ACT of your commitment to Canberra. Does your sponsorsing relative live in the ACT? I suspect it will help if you would be joining other members of your family in the ACT.

http://www.business.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/129008/176_Visa_Sponsorship_Guidelines_March_09.pdf

Do, please, take the time and trouble to analysie the ACT Guidelines very carefully.

They expect you to demonstrate that you have worked out which suburbs are on your shortlist of affordable possibilities. Demonstrate that you have considered which schools your children might attend. Have you contacted the schools and found out about the availability of places?

What type of accountant are you? (Says she who knows nothing about accountancy but what I mean is would you try to join a private practice or are you the sort of accountant who would join a company that has trading links with with your country of origin?) I ask because I read recently that because of Australia's trading links with the Far East, they are keen on foreign accountants who know the relevant tax and other laws in the other country. It makes sense to be able to say that you have identified the sorts of employer who would be likely to consider you once you have obtained PR under your own steam. Name a few and if you have sent them your CV and have had a response, so much the better.

They expect you to have thought about how much you are likely to be able to earn in the first few years. Based on that, what does your family budget look like once you factor in the costs of travel to work and general travel, the cost of your likely rent or mortgage, the cost of your weekly or monthly groceries and so on.

What about cultural activities and hobbies? Australia is keen on promoting its work/life balance so it would be sensible to demonstrate that you have explored the things which you and your family will do when you are not at work.

Good luck.

Best wishes

Gill

Dear Gollywobbler,

Thank you very much for taking the pain of replying my querries.

1. I have IELTS over band of 7 with 7 abnd each in Reading, Wring and Listening and 6.5 in Speaking.

2. I am presently working as an Accounts Manager with a Trading Company in Middle East and I have more than 13 years of working experience in this field. Out of which 11 years in bank as Accountant.

3. My brother is a Permanet Resident in Aus and now in NSW (Got citizenship recently). I selected ACT mainly because of the proximity of Canberra to Sydney.

4. As you suggested I will make a detailed reaserch on schools, suburbs, cost of living etc. Will also research about job opportunities.

bye...

Archived